Old July 29th 03, 03:14 PM
Paul Van House

In article , says...

"Antonio" wrote in message
American stations use at most 50,000 watts and they are forced to
lower their power at night,

depends on what class AM station they are, for example 700WLW is a class A
AM station with unlimited hrs of operation, so they are 50kw 24/7.

while at the same time, one station, I
think is in Mexico City, goes from 5,000 to 150,000 at nights.
Any explanation would be appreciated and one question,
Is there any pros and cons of running that much power?

at night the station would carry real far, and could possibly interfear with
other stations real far away, and I guess you could say another con would
be you could have less stations on that same frequency.

How about other countries, whats the most power a station can have?

I saw in the FCC's database a station in cuba that was at 500kw, this link
will show you all the stations in the western hemisphere.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?state...=&EW=W&size=10

geoff

Nobody has mentioned that for 5-years of so back in the 1930's WLW
was licensed for 500,000 watts. The signal was so strong that
florescent bulbs within a few miles of the transmitter would glow, and
the station had to cut daytime power to 50,000 watts until "directional
suppressor towers" because the signal interfered with a station in
Toronto.
The whole story is on Jim Hawkin's WLW page, including other
interesting facts, pictures and schematics of the WLW transmitter site.
( http://www.hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml )
It doesn't mention it on this site, but I believe the station had
daytime listeners through most of the 48-states, and was heard in Hawaii
and Europe at night.

--
Paul Van House
(remove _removeme_ from mail address for e-mail replies)

Old July 30th 03, 03:22 PM
Peter H.

IIRC, Frasier Park is in L.A.
County, or is only a few hundred yards outside
thereof.

Frazier Park (correct spelling) is in Kern County, about 2 miles north of the
L.A. county line.

Well, that's "only" 3520 yards ouside of L.A. county.

Since the Tx site is many, many, many miles outside of L.A. county, Frasier
(Frazier) Park might as well be inside L.A. County, for purposes of this
discussion.

Certainly, Gorman, which is the I-5 turnoff to Frasier (Frazier) Park is wholly
within L.A. county ... the NW-most point, in fact.

Too, too bad Levine couldn't accomplish with his 1050 station what he did with
his 540 station.

What a f**kin' "goniff".

(Yiddish, for "thief").

Old July 31st 03, 03:17 PM
CA was in NJ

WBRW wrote:

BTW, right in my town, there's a 5,000,000-watt UHF TV station, but
that's the ERP due to antenna gain, not actual transmitter power.

Which station is that?

Old July 31st 03, 07:49 PM
Peter H.

BTW, right in my town, there's a 5,000,000-watt
UHF TV station, but that's the ERP due to antenna
gain, not actual transmitter power.

5 MW UHFs are pretty common, really.

Here's a real challenge: list the top ten (or top five) highest gain AM
stations.

That is, those with the highest maximum-to-RMS field ratio, regardless of
power.

The power ratio, hence the gain, is the square of the field ratio.

Hint: start looking at stations with eight or more towers.

Second hint: look for arrays with major axes of 180 or somewhat more degrees
and with minor axes of 90 degrees, more or less (210, or so, degrees and 80, or
so, degrees, respectively, are among the prime candidates).

Old August 1st 03, 02:53 AM
Peter H.

Are you going to post the answer later?

I think I did part of this exercise once before, listing all the stations with
8 or more towers, and I seem to remember that the list was not all that long.
I only checked the "field ratio" on a couple though, so don't have any idea
which are the "winners".

1190 in Dallas is the winner (6 by 2); 1070 in Houston is a close second (3 by
3).

There are numerous 9- or 10-tower Canadians which are contendors.

You've got to get beyond 180 degrees, major axis, in order to make the
"aperture" small enough, then you just add additional instances of those tower
pairs until you get the gain way high ... certainly higher than 12.

Second challenge: name the top ten (or top five) stations with the most steel
in the air.

The winner is ... 1070 in Houston, again.

Old August 1st 03, 02:53 AM
Bill Damick

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in message ...
Greg and Joan wrote:
1) Didn't PJB, 800 khz, Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire) run 500Kw? Do
they still do so today? I used to be able to pick them up in Massachusetts

Yes and no.

(the night before my brother's wedding in Traverse City, Michigan PJB
was BOMBING into my motel room. I mean, they were louder than the
Chicago clears less than 200 miles away. Things must have been auroral
that night.)

My understanding is PJB's power plant (they had their own...) burned
down. When they rebuilt they decided to settle for 100kw and a
directional antenna favoring northern South America. (Venezuela &
Colombia)

Trans World Radio (PJB) still operates from Bonaire with 100kw and
still on 800 khz MW. About 3 years ago (not in the late 80's as
someone else mentioned), TWR decided for reasons of cost to replace
the old faithful unit with a new solid state transmitter. Tubes for
the old 500 kw MW unit got increasingly more expensive to rebuild when
they failed, and the costs of fuel to run the deisel generators higher
and higher. With a reassessment of the need to "boom" into its former
coverage, TWR decided to focus on the Caribbean and northern parts of
S. America only as we are able to serve many of the areas further
south by program distribution to local Christian stations. We do get
occasional reports from US-based MW DXers and are grateful for them,
but don't consdier the US a target any longer. We're airing English
(though on a reduced schedule), Spanish, Portuguese and a couple of
smaller Indian languages.

The PJB power plant was sold to the local electric company on Bonaire
to help power the grid there. The fire mentioned above was not at TWR
(PJB's) site, but rather at the R. Netherlands facility also on
Bonaire.

Trust this will help clear things up.

Bill Damick
Trans World Radio Headquarters
Cary, NC
www.twr.org

Old August 1st 03, 06:16 AM
David Eduardo

Greg and Joan wrote:
[...]

My impression, born out by field strength readings by the engineer at
WKVM-810 in Puerto Rico, was that the station had ceased to run 500 kw,and
was using the big rig at lower power since sometime around 1995 or 1996.

TWR decided for reasons of cost to replace
the old faithful unit with a new solid state transmitter. Tubes for
the old 500 kw MW unit got increasingly more expensive to rebuild when
they failed, and the costs of fuel to run the deisel generators higher
and higher. With a reassessment of the need to "boom" into its former
coverage, TWR decided to focus on the Caribbean and northern parts of
S. America only as we are able to serve many of the areas further
south by program distribution to local Christian stations.

At least it happened finally, although too late for some of us. I owned an
AM on 805 AM in Ecuador when TWR went on the air. It nearly destroyed the
station untill I could change frequency. A friend's station in Bucaramanga,
Colombia, was driven off the air by TWR's misguided religious zeal that
caused it to stomp on the coverage and signals of over a dozen radio
stations on 790, 800 and 810 in the NE South American zone.

People here complain about arrogance as demonstrated by Clear Channel; TWR
is the supreme example of arrogance for a "cause" with no thought for all
the people injured due to their actions.

Old August 1st 03, 04:03 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , David Eduardo wrote:
At least it happened finally, although too late for some of us. I owned an
AM on 805 AM in Ecuador when TWR went on the air. It nearly destroyed the

805??? I thought AM radio in Ecuador was on the 10khz band plan like
the USA and Colombia.

In the past few years, though I've noticed a number of drop-in FM
stations on the "even" frequencies -- 95.4, 100.2, etc. That really
has to cause hell with a lot of digitally tuned car radios that only
tune in the odd frequencies.

People here complain about arrogance as demonstrated by Clear Channel; TWR
is the supreme example of arrogance for a "cause" with no thought for all

Ahhhhh....but they're doing the work of GOD! That forgives
everything, including the jamming of your heathen programming of your
station and your friend's. Be glad this isn't the Middle Ages.
They would have strung you up.... ;-)

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.