Old August 6th 03, 03:15 PM
Mike

Default Sam Phillips dead

Sad news. Sam Phillips, the recording studio owner who
"discovered" Elvis Presley, has died at a Memphis, TN
hospital at age 80.

I was working for The Tanner Company, producing promos and
jingles and stuff in the late 1970's. Each of us had a
studio assigned and mine was a 16-track wonder designed by
Wilton Jatan (sp?). We guarded our settings and equipment
fiercely.

Keith (?), the Tanner Sales Manager (he always carried at
least a carton of cigarettes in his briefcase), brought a
grey-bearded client into my studio late one afternoon,
clearly after a long liquid lunch for both. He asked me to
spool up and play a jingle demo for the client. I did, and
sat back listening to it with them. Then the client got up
and started working the eq on MY Audiotronics custom board.

He fussed and fiddled with the sound until I stood up and
asked him, please to stop and sit and just listen and to
LEAVE MY GEAR ALONE!

At that point, Keith introduced me to Sam Phillips.

How do you tell the guy who invented Elvis to quit messing
with your 2k eq switch?

Mike

ICOM-751 dead, help Burt Equipment 10 April 25th 04 06:58 PM
ICOM-751 dead, help Burt General 2 April 24th 04 02:18 AM
ICOM-751 dead, help Burt Equipment 0 April 23rd 04 06:09 PM
All HF bands are dead, wed afternoon NJ USA Robert Casey Dx 4 October 31st 03 12:09 AM
All HF bands are dead, wed afternoon NJ USA Robert Casey Dx 0 October 29th 03 09:19 PM