Old August 13th 03, 02:03 AM
Peter H.

Default San Francisco: KKDV goes country

Bonneville's KKDV (95.7) in San Francisco went from "The Drive" (classic hits)
to "My Country Station" Monday (8/11) at noon. The call letters haven't changed
so far. This marks the return of a country format on an FM signal to the
central part of the Bay Area.

Reportedly, listeners will be asked to "select" a new slogan (which probably
means one or two have been preselected already) ...

How about, "All Mormon, All the Time"?

Old August 13th 03, 05:17 AM
R J Carpenter

"Peter H." wrote in message

replying to:
Bonneville's KKDV (95.7) in San Francisco went from "The Drive" (classic

hits)
to "My Country Station" Monday (8/11) at noon. The call letters haven't

changed
so far. This marks the return of a country format on an FM signal to the
central part of the Bay Area.

Reportedly, listeners will be asked to "select" a new slogan (which

probably
means one or two have been preselected already) ...

How about, "All Mormon, All the Time"?

I don't think Bonneville has changed since the days when someone I know
managed a station for them in New York City. He said that he was never
asked about religion. Of course he is pretty conservative, and the format
was one that was unlikely to cause heartburn.

Bonneville owns three "stations" here in the DC area:

WGMS - commercial classical
WTOP - straight news, no "talk", no discernable tilt
see their web site www.wtopnews.com
WWZZ - a rock station that may well be watered down "to suit"

Old August 13th 03, 03:19 PM
TritonVA

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

I don't think Bonneville has changed since the days when someone I know
managed a station for them in New York City. He said that he was never
asked about religion. Of course he is pretty conservative, and the format
was one that was unlikely to cause heartburn.

Bonneville owns three "stations" here in the DC area:

WGMS - commercial classical
WTOP - straight news, no "talk", no discernable tilt
see their web site www.wtopnews.com
WWZZ - a rock station that may well be watered down "to suit"

I have to differ with you on this one RJ. The Mormon sensibilities have
definitely made their share of appearances on the WWZZ signal over the
years.

Back when WWZZ/WWVZ was a half decent CHR (before CC decided to put Rhythmic
CHR on 99.5 and Bonneville bailed on the format altogether) the were
notoriously touchy with the dump button during the morning show, they edited
songs excessively; etc. One song example that really used to bug me from
the late '90's - "Sexual" by Amber - Bonneville edited the song for airplay
and changed it to "Sensual"; subtle, yet highly annoying. In certain urban
cuts, they would edit out not only the foul language, but also references to
drugs that they (apparently) thought were too overt. This often has the
effect of butchering songs - resulting in long lyrical silences throughout
the cut.

I often wondered - "if they're so offended by the content, why do they spin
these songs?" I guess someone at Bonneville finally agreed - to my
knowledge, there are no CHR's left in the Bonneville stable. Can anyone
think of an example of a CHR still owned by Bonneville? I don't claim to
understand the programming decisions, but I do think that CHR content and
Bonneville corporate sensibilities were often in direct conflict.

Best,

Jeremy Powell

Old August 13th 03, 03:19 PM
Mark Roberts

R J Carpenter had written:

| I don't think Bonneville has changed since the days when someone I know
| managed a station for them in New York City. He said that he was never
| asked about religion. Of course he is pretty conservative, and the format
| was one that was unlikely to cause heartburn.

When Bonneville ran CHR on 95.7, there didn't seem to be much
different about the fact that Bonneville was running it, although
it was fun in a very minor kind of way to refer to it as "Mormon Hit Radio".

--
Mark Roberts
Oakland, California

Old August 13th 03, 09:38 PM
BR

"The Drive" was the best thing on radio in the past 30 years. It was
great the day it came on the air and got better and better every week.
The slogan said it all: "Remember the way radio used to be, well its
that way again".
But now its just, "Remember, listeners don't count. We can jam
anything into their ears we think will bring us more money". No wonder
there isn't any listener loyalty anymore. The only radio we can count
on being here tomorrow is NPR because we get to vote with our own $$.
Maybe this is a good time check out satellite radio. It surly isn't a
good time to listen to Country - hell its NEVER a good time for that
crap!

Old August 14th 03, 03:20 PM
R J Carpenter

"TritonVA" wrote in message

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

WWZZ - a rock station that may well be watered down "to suit"

I have to differ with you on this one RJ. The Mormon sensibilities have
definitely made their share of appearances on the WWZZ signal over the
years.

Couldn't my "watered down to suit" cover this?