RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   WSAI 1530 Cincinnati - Great Station (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28280-wsai-1530-cincinnati-great-station.html)

Kymberleigh Richards November 27th 03 05:19 AM

On 26 Nov 2003 17:59:06 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

The reference to reverb is amusing -- in the early 1970s I recall
WCKY as an easy-listening station -- with reverb!

WJIB 740 AM Stereo in Cambridge/Boston, MA -- one of the few, if not
the last, Easy Listening/Beautiful Music stations on the AM band in
the USA --

Definitely not the last.

KWXY AM 1340 in Cathedral City/Palm Springs is still doing Beautiful Music, simulcast with
KWXY FM 98.5 ... with live air personalities, no less.

--
Kymberleigh Richards
President, Southern California Transit Advocates http://socata.lerctr.org

David Eduardo November 28th 03 03:13 PM

"Kymberleigh Richards" wrote in
message ...
On 26 Nov 2003 17:59:06 GMT, (WBRW) wrote:

The reference to reverb is amusing -- in the early 1970s I recall
WCKY as an easy-listening station -- with reverb!

WJIB 740 AM Stereo in Cambridge/Boston, MA -- one of the few, if not
the last, Easy Listening/Beautiful Music stations on the AM band in
the USA --

Definitely not the last.

KWXY AM 1340 in Cathedral City/Palm Springs is still doing Beautiful

Music, simulcast with
KWXY FM 98.5 ... with live air personalities, no less.

Interestingly, this may be among the poorest AMs of its class in terms of
coverage. The day signal covers Cat City and most of Palm Springs. By the
time you get to Palm desert, it can be noisy. At night, it gets out maybe 8
or 9 miles. Which is what you get with a high-band signal broadcasting from
a desert.

There is no Coachella Valley station that covers the entire market, day or
night.

KA Turner November 28th 03 03:13 PM

It's about time someone made radio oldies fun again. Hopefully there will be
a satellite radio station that makes oldies fun and there will be more
stations like this. In fact, come to think of it, I have listened to 1530
at night here in GA.

I wonder if they use PAMS Series 18 jingles? I just love those jingles and
those old deeejays. I think we are too hard on Clear Channel. There is a
horrible local yokel station in my GA town that downloads off satellite (and
pulled a Yankee out of the ad sales pool to get a big city look) But there
is a Clear Channel station that has better personalities.

For more info on old music radio check
http://www.mindspring.com/~kturnerga/aircheck.

Ken
Macon, GA

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"t.hoehler" wrote in message
Not an advertisement, no, I'm not the PD, WSAI is simply one great kick

ass
oldies 50 KW rock n roll flamethrower!
Live DJ's, no music past 1968 or so, a tolerable commercial load, all in

all
very listenable. Clear Channel owned, but that hasn't seemed to screw it

up
yet. Hope you can hear it where you live, pattern must turn northward at
night as Louisville reception goes to hell at sundown.
/regards,
Tom

Steven J Sobol November 28th 03 06:40 PM

KA Turner wrote:

I wonder if they use PAMS Series 18 jingles? I just love those jingles and
those old deeejays. I think we are too hard on Clear Channel. There is a
horrible local yokel station in my GA town that downloads off satellite (and
pulled a Yankee out of the ad sales pool to get a big city look) But there
is a Clear Channel station that has better personalities.

Before moving to California, I was amazed at the amount of truly local stuff
on WZOO-FM Ashtabula, Ohio and WKDD-FM Akron, Ohio - two small-market stations
bought by Clear Channel a couple years ago. Very focused on local issues.
WKDD was, and continues to be, one of my all-time favorite stations. Clear
Channel did a good job of not changing that.

Here in the High Desert, KZXY-FM Apple Valley is also a small-market station
owned by Clear Channel. I think they do OK too. Their sister AM talk station
had round-the-clock live coverage of the wildfires in this area... lots and
lots of good information.

I'm not saying that there aren't stations they don't completely screw up,
but there are some good ones out there.

What amazes me is that Infinity owns a station out here... I don't recall
which one.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950

Mark Howell November 28th 03 11:04 PM

On 28 Nov 2003 18:40:26 GMT, Steven J Sobol
wrote:

I'm not saying that there aren't stations they don't completely screw up,
but there are some good ones out there.

Clear Channel and Infinity are both run basically "by the numbers."
That is to say, local managers can do pretty much what they want as
long as they meet their cash flow budgets. Conversely, they must cut
anything and everything if they don't, regardless of the impact on
operations. This style of management means the quality of the local
GM is really crucial. And as anyone who's been around the business a
while knows, the quality of general managers is wildly variable.

What amazes me is that Infinity owns a station out here... I don't recall
which one.

Infinity and Clear Channel both scooped up lots of marginal stations
by buying entire groups to get the better ones. Where they differ is
that Infinity really does not want to be in smaller markets, whereas
CCU seems to want to own everything it possibly can, everywhere.
However, even CCU has been sloughing off a few lately. The 1220 AM in
Canyon Country, CA was sold back to its former owner for less than a
third of what CCU paid for it. He was making money operating it --
they never did.

Mark Howell

Don Worsham November 29th 03 02:53 PM

"KA Turner" wrote:

It's about time someone made radio oldies fun again. Hopefully there will be
a satellite radio station that makes oldies fun and there will be more
stations like this. In fact, come to think of it, I have listened to 1530
at night here in GA.

I wonder if they use PAMS Series 18 jingles? I just love those jingles and
those old deeejays. I think we are too hard on Clear Channel. There is a
horrible local yokel station in my GA town that downloads off satellite (and
pulled a Yankee out of the ad sales pool to get a big city look) But there
is a Clear Channel station that has better personalities.

For more info on old music radio check
http://www.mindspring.com/~kturnerga/aircheck.

Ken
Macon, GA

--

Neither WSAI or WCPO/WUBE used Series #18, so anthything is possible.
Currenbtly they are using resings fo the Pacific And Southern TM

They have some other TM items still to used on air.

To hear resings of classic PAMS in the internet, try www.kmin980.com
and click on Listen Now.

They are live in the am and pm dirve and have otehr live segments
through out the week. Sadely, like most braodcasters today, they rely
on computer automation during other times. Owner is a good friend and
really cares about locally owned radio.

TC December 3rd 03 04:03 AM

Actually, WSAI repurchased TM's Southern & Pacific jingles. The
package was originally a custom for WCFL/WWDJ/WQXI/WSAI. The original
multitracks were pulled (I know... I did it) and new vocal
arrangements were scored utilizing the new frequency of 1530. The
cuts were sung at TM Century, Inc.

In addition to the TM cuts, they are using the Drake-Chanault stager
ID, 20/20 news jingle and thematic breaks.

Tracy E. Carman
Media Preservation Foundation
topcat_at_mailblocks_dot_com