Old November 22nd 03, 06:35 PM
t.hoehler

Default WSAI 1530 Cincinnati - Great Station

Not an advertisement, no, I'm not the PD, WSAI is simply one great kick ass
oldies 50 KW rock n roll flamethrower!
Live DJ's, no music past 1968 or so, a tolerable commercial load, all in all
very listenable. Clear Channel owned, but that hasn't seemed to screw it up
yet. Hope you can hear it where you live, pattern must turn northward at
night as Louisville reception goes to hell at sundown.
/regards,
Tom

Old November 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
caleb thomas

You are right about the old WCKY! I used to listen to it as a kid
even. Every night the CBS radio mystery theater was on 1530:-)

I wonder if the nighttime pattern has changed? I have the same trouble
you do here in Bowling Green. Must not be a lot of southwest
radiation?

To bad they changed the classic call but Wonderful Sounds And
Information is OK...

Ben
W4WSM

Old November 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
JM1370

Hope you can hear it where you live,

Up here in Western NY we have WKBW 1520 AM. It's doing a good job on all fronts
AND brought back "Chickenman". I live 75 miles east of Buffalo and can still
get it quite well in all types of weather.
Jim

Old November 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
Mark Howell

wrote:

Not an advertisement, no, I'm not the PD, WSAI is simply one great kick ass
oldies 50 KW rock n roll flamethrower!
Live DJ's, no music past 1968 or so, a tolerable commercial load, all in all
very listenable. Clear Channel owned, but that hasn't seemed to screw it up
yet.

WSAI is indeed a very well-put-together station. But in fact, except
for morning drive time and the request shows, it is voicetracked.

Mark Howell

Old November 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
Royce Dean

I'll agree 100%. They sound good. I like the reverb too! I think their
pattern change occurs at west coast sunset, where they protect KFBK
Sacramento, I think. They are good in the Carolinas. Very strong.

Old November 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
Bob Radil

Hope you can hear it where you live, pattern must turn northward at
night as Louisville reception goes to hell at sundown.
/regards,
Tom

It does reduce toward Louisville at night. It frequently reaches Connecticut at
night after WDJZ goes off.

Bob Radil
A ?subject=NewsgroupRes ponse" E-Mail /A

Old November 24th 03, 06:30 PM
Peter H.

You are right about the old WCKY! I used to listen to it as a kid even. Every
night the CBS radio mystery theater was on 1530:-)

I wonder if the nighttime pattern has changed? I have the same trouble you do
here in Bowling Green. Must not be a lot of southwest radiation?

Originally WCKY, Covington, KY, this station protects the co-channel Class A in
Sacramento, CA, using four towers.

Therefore, nearly no radiation SW, W or NW.

WCKY had the frequency all to itself for quite a while.

The Sacramento station, KFBK, was a conversion from, then, a Class IV to a
Class I-B.

Old November 25th 03, 05:53 AM
Mark Roberts

Royce Dean had written:
| I'll agree 100%. They sound good. I like the reverb too! I think their
| pattern change occurs at west coast sunset, where they protect KFBK
| Sacramento, I think.

Yes -- it (then-WCKY) was strong in eastern and central Missouri
for a couple of hours after sunset until the switch was flipped.

The reference to reverb is amusing -- in the early 1970s I recall
WCKY as an easy-listening station -- with reverb! Mix in a little
groundwave/skywave phase cancellation, which one occasionally got
for WCKY near St. Louis, and you got quite the ethereal effect!

That's only the *second* most inappropriate use of reverb I've ever
heard -- the most inappropriate was when KPRC in Houston
was a news/talk station in head-on competition with KTRH -- and
used reverb in 1985 and part of 1986!

--
"Cyber and bar: There are two words that should be kept in
separate buildings." -- John Kelso, Austin American-Statesman

Old November 25th 03, 03:59 PM
Ron Hardin

Let's not get carried away. I can hear them fine and they suck.

What's different today is that there are more formats that you can skip
over looking for something listenable. I'd like an all-loogthung
station.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 26th 03, 06:59 PM
WBRW

The reference to reverb is amusing -- in the early 1970s I recall
WCKY as an easy-listening station -- with reverb!

WJIB 740 AM Stereo in Cambridge/Boston, MA -- one of the few, if not
the last, Easy Listening/Beautiful Music stations on the AM band in
the USA -- uses stereo reverb. It's not too heavy, but you can notice
it.

That's only the *second* most inappropriate use of reverb I've ever
heard -- the most inappropriate was when KPRC in Houston
was a news/talk station in head-on competition with KTRH -- and
used reverb in 1985 and part of 1986!

FM talk station "New Jersey 101.5" (WKXW-FM Trenton, NJ) uses a
healthy dose of stereo reverb during their talk programming as well as
the Oldies music they play on weekends. It does get a bit annoying,
especially if you're listening with headphones.