RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Radio Listening and IQ (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28327-radio-listening-iq.html)

Vijay December 19th 03 05:55 PM

Radio Listening and IQ

Someone mentioned that while watching too much TV decreases IQ, Radio
listening is actually shown to increase IQ. Is there any concrete
evidence/sites/publishings in this regard ?

Thanks.

Vijay

Larry W4CSC December 20th 03 01:57 AM

How can ANYONE'S IQ increase listening to 40 minutes of REPEATING
commercials an hour?

But, wait a minute! Someone says there is a fine line between genius
and INSANITY! That must be why....(c;

It would seem that listening to Clear Channel would only tend to melt
the brain into a mass resembling chocolate pudding.....

I almost lost it, last night, after I'd seen the stupid Gateway
Computers cow feet come through the ceiling over the bed for the 72nd
time in 2 hours. Who programs this ****?

On 19 Dec 2003 17:55:15 GMT, (Vijay) wrote:

Someone mentioned that while watching too much TV decreases IQ, Radio
listening is actually shown to increase IQ. Is there any concrete
evidence/sites/publishings in this regard ?

Thanks.

Vijay

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Steven J Sobol December 20th 03 02:49 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
How can ANYONE'S IQ increase listening to 40 minutes of REPEATING
commercials an hour?

But Larry, that's the whole point. Repetition is the key to getting people
to remember the commercial!

My favorite example: Sunland Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in nearby Victorville,
California. I have heard their stupid cutesy slogan and company jingle so
many times I could literally sing it in my sleep. But I remember it.

The worst is when I'm driving over on the west side of Victorville and
I pass their lot and then hear the jingle on the radio. (Happens more often
than you might think.)

Since the High Desert only has one television station (KHIZ-TV 64 in
Victorville), most of the residents of this area get their local programming
from the Los Angeles television stations via satellite or cable. Well, Sunland
has bought copious amounts of advertising time from the local cable company
too. And it's not even a few different spots, it's the same one. Over, and
over, and over, ad nauseum. I'm sure that if it is possible to buy local or
regional advertising slots from DirecTV and DISH, they have done that too.

It would seem that listening to Clear Channel would only tend to melt
the brain into a mass resembling chocolate pudding.....

It's not a Clear Channel thing. Commercials are just as annoying on everyone
else's broadcast channels too. And while there are a few truly innovative,
entertaining or thought-provoking ad campaigns, most of them just... suck.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950

Larry W4CSC December 20th 03 10:55 PM

On 20 Dec 2003 02:49:11 GMT, Steven J Sobol
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
How can ANYONE'S IQ increase listening to 40 minutes of REPEATING
commercials an hour?

But Larry, that's the whole point. Repetition is the key to getting people
to remember the commercial!

I guess I'm just too old to listen to radio any more. I download lots
of old shows off alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime that have FOUR
commercials in them, smoothly integrated right into the show itself so
you don't actually realize Glenn Miller is selling you a Philco until
it's almost over...(c;

Oh, well, all the BBC stations are live on the net and archived so I
don't miss my favs. I emailed them and offered to pay my radio tax to
do my part because I'm on their servers quite often. That shook 'em
up. They refused my offer but appreciated the thought.

I listen to a 4 minute snippet of some talking head on news/talk, then
when the 8 minutes of spots comes on I turn it back off and go back to
my MP3 player. Radio is the reason for the MP3 explosion.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Mark Roberts December 20th 03 10:55 PM

Steven J Sobol had written:

| It's not a Clear Channel thing. Commercials are just as annoying on everyone
| else's broadcast channels too. And while there are a few truly innovative,
| entertaining or thought-provoking ad campaigns, most of them just... suck.

Ah, yes, car dealer ads appear to be the worst. And don't forget the
weekend remotes from the car dealer, the staple financial lifeline
of small markets. I bet you have those in Victorville, too.

The most clever *and* memorable of recent times (although with heavy
repetition) seem to be the Epsom printer spots. Since they're
running on KCBS in heavy rotation, I think I've got those memorized
now.

--
"Right here in Minnesota!"
"Bullwinkle, that's Florida!"

Sven Franklyn Weil December 21st 03 06:16 AM

In article , Larry W4CSC wrote:
I listen to a 4 minute snippet of some talking head on news/talk, then
when the 8 minutes of spots comes on I turn it back off and go back to

That is a good question for the radio programmers on this newsgroup.

Why is the spotload so heavy? Breaks on talk stations like WABC used
to be three or four commercials. Now it's more.

All news WCBS used to tout that it only played one commercial at a
time between news capsules. Now they sometimes play two.

WINS sometimes plays three in a row when they used to do one or two
spots about 8 years ago (pre all this consolidation).

Infinity some years back made all their stations up the spot loads.

Ditto, why cluster all the spots in 10 minute sweeps twice an hour
instead of breaking them up into frequent two or three minute breaks
so it SEEMS like less commercials are being played?

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Doug Smith W9WI December 22nd 03 01:17 AM

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
Ditto, why cluster all the spots in 10 minute sweeps twice an hour
instead of breaking them up into frequent two or three minute breaks
so it SEEMS like less commercials are being played?

That's the part that confuses me. We've got music stations that
announce "coming up next -- 9 in a row". They mean 9 songs, but if you
listen often enough you quickly learn that also means 9 minutes of
advertising [0] - i.e., that announcement is your cue to change stations...

I suppose since the ratings don't show whether someone was listening
during the ads - only that they were listening - that if clumping the
spot load increases the numbers the rest of the hour it makes short-term
economic sense. One just has to wonder what will happen when the
advertisers start finding they get a smaller increase in sales per
thousand "ears" bought?

(indeed I note the station in the bad example above has begun to promote
"fewer commercials, more music" and indeed appears to have broken up
their spot load across the hour)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

David Eduardo December 22nd 03 01:17 AM

"Sven Franklyn Weil" wrote in message

Ditto, why cluster all the spots in 10 minute sweeps twice an hour
instead of breaking them up into frequent two or three minute breaks
so it SEEMS like less commercials are being played?

Tons of research has been done on this, and fewer stops create far less tune
out. Generally, tune out occurs in the first spot, so there is no
disadvantage to running many at a time.

In general, stations that went to fewer stops have increased ratings while
those adding more have gone down in ratings.

The "never more than a minute from music" sounded good, but did not work.

Larry W4CSC December 22nd 03 01:17 AM

The other thing that REALLY turns me off is when they run out of
things to say/do and start saying "News Talk 1250, WTMA" over and over
and over ad nauseum. "News Talk 730, WSC" (WSCC is more ashamed of
its call letters. Being a Clear Channel station, they think they
should be able to use RCA's WSC station call, assigned to marine band
use.)

Dan Moon, who switched from 1250 to 730 after being on WTMA for 30
years, once asked the call in listeners what they never wanted to hear
on WTMA, again. I called in and waited my turn after 6 spots played.
"Dan, if I never heard 'News Talk 1250, WTMA' again, it wouldn't be
too soon. Every one of us out here listening KNOWS what the station's
call letters are and KNOWS what frequency it is on. We don't need to
be told 37 times every 10 minutes. Why don't you put on some music if
you all run out of things to talk about." His answer was truly funny
and he didn't want to talk to me further. Three more callers followed
me up. I swear it was uncoordinated, but very effective. It took 'em
three weeks to get the self-promotion spots back up to 37 every 10
minutes in the aftermath.

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

I'm for an FCC regulation on all of them that makes it ILLEGAL to say
the stations call letters EXCEPT once during the 2-minute-to-the-hour
requirement and makes it illegal to quote the station's frequency all
together! Any takers?!

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Mike Ward December 22nd 03 06:16 AM

On 22 Dec 2003 01:17:53 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

Yes, you complain about this. Yes, the listeners calling in complain
about this. No, the frequent call letter mentions are not for you, or
those other listeners.

It has been proven time and time again that frequent call letter
mentions = higher ratings. While you indeed may know which station
you're listening to, many others tune in and out and DO NOT. And
quite a few of 'em end up with Arbitron diaries.

Don't believe me? Hook up with a radio friend of yours - in
programming - and have 'em tell you. I've heard about diaries in one
of my former home markets that would amaze you.

Rush Limbaugh has been a talk radio institution since 1988. Four
years before that, he rose to prominence as a local host on Sacramento
news/talker KFBK, which happened to employ me (not overlapped with
Rush being in Sac ;) for 7 1/2 years.

So, that means Rush has been on 1530 AM in Sacramento for nearly 20
years straight, every single weekday from 9 AM to noon, with late
night and weekend repeats.

Despite that, I've heard of relatively recent diaries (within the past
5 years) that have placed Rush on: KCTC (AM 1320, a nostalgia
station), KSTE (AM 650, a sister talk station to KFBK which runs
Premiere's Glenn Beck in that slot), KCRA (a former set of calls for
the aforementioned AM 1320), and that's just off the top of my head.

This, despite the fact you'd expect any sentient being in Sacramento
to know which radio station Rush was on, even if they don't listen to
talk radio or radio at all! KFBK has featured very frequent billboard
ad campaigns, along with other media, promoting Rush's show, even in
recent years.

The frequent call mentions may frost you...but for stations,
especially news/talk stations...they usually mean HIGHER RATINGS.

Mike

David Eduardo December 22nd 03 06:16 AM

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
The other thing that REALLY turns me off is when they run out of
things to say/do and start saying "News Talk 1250, WTMA" over and over
and over ad nauseum. "News Talk 730, WSC" (WSCC is more ashamed of
its call letters. Being a Clear Channel station, they think they
should be able to use RCA's WSC station call, assigned to marine band
use.)

Except for the legal ID, the station can call itself anything it wants, as
long as what they want is not trade marked by someone else.

Except for yourself, how many listeners care that WSC is a marine call?
None.

Dan Moon, who switched from 1250 to 730 after being on WTMA for 30
years, once asked the call in listeners what they never wanted to hear
on WTMA, again. I called in and waited my turn after 6 spots played.
"Dan, if I never heard 'News Talk 1250, WTMA' again, it wouldn't be
too soon. Every one of us out here listening KNOWS what the station's
call letters are and KNOWS what frequency it is on. We don't need to
be told 37 times every 10 minutes. Why don't you put on some music if
you all run out of things to talk about." His answer was truly funny
and he didn't want to talk to me further. Three more callers followed
me up. I swear it was uncoordinated, but very effective. It took 'em
three weeks to get the self-promotion spots back up to 37 every 10
minutes in the aftermath.

However, you can look at arguably the nations most successful AM, KGO in San
Francisco. 25 years, 102 ratings in first place. They give the calls 50 to
60 times an hour. Always have.

11.6% of Arbitron diaries have unidentifiable listening in them. It is
nearly all to stations that do not identify enough who they are.

Most listeners listen to multiple stations. Most do not remember where they
tuned at a specific time unless constantly reminded.

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

So? They have named the station WSC to make it easy to remember. This is
like WWWE in Cleveland (now WTAM) using 3-WE as an identifier.

No one but you cares.

I'm for an FCC regulation on all of them that makes it ILLEGAL to say
the stations call letters EXCEPT once during the 2-minute-to-the-hour
requirement and makes it illegal to quote the station's frequency all
together! Any takers?!

You are kidding, right? Except for the legal ID, a station can use any
identifier it wants.

Find something really important to worry about.

Sid Schweiger December 22nd 03 06:16 AM

Every one of us out here listening KNOWS what the station's call letters are
and KNOWS what frequency it is on. We don't need to be told 37 times every 10
minutes.

I deduce from this that you've never seen a filled-out Arbitron diary. If you
actually worked in radio, the sight of a filled-out diary would scare the bleep
out of you. There are many stations that run more call-sign and/or frequency
and/or slogan mentions than your example, and yet diaries continue to contain
error after error after error. I have seen call signs absolutely butchered,
dial positions listed as "right next to 92 on my radio" or "my fifth
pushbutton," and station slogans that bear no resemblance to any station in the
market being surveyed. The fact that stations actually get credit for some
diary-keeping listeners I can only ascribe to some sort of miracle. Every one
of you out there listening does NOT know the call sign or frequency, in fact
more listeners don't know than those who do know.

Most radio listeners are not hobbyists who follow radio and know all its ins
and outs. They are casual listeners who have it on in the background, or are
listening for the programming, and don't give a hoot in h*ll what the call sign
or frequency are.

Steven J Sobol December 22nd 03 02:50 PM

David Eduardo wrote:
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
The other thing that REALLY turns me off is when they run out of
things to say/do and start saying "News Talk 1250, WTMA" over and over
and over ad nauseum. "News Talk 730, WSC" (WSCC is more ashamed of
its call letters. Being a Clear Channel station, they think they
should be able to use RCA's WSC station call, assigned to marine band
use.)

Except for the legal ID, the station can call itself anything it wants, as
long as what they want is not trade marked by someone else.

I beg to differ. If anyone called the FCC on that Central Pennsylvania station
that id'd itself as WHOT-FM all of the time except at the top of the hour,
would the FCC not spank the station? (I'm referring to a station that was
mentioned in the Airwaves Digest a few years ago. WHOT-FM is the legal
callsign of a station at 101.1 in Youngstown, Ohio, and has been for years.)

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

So? They have named the station WSC to make it easy to remember. This is
like WWWE in Cleveland (now WTAM) using 3-WE as an identifier.

Bull. There is no way anyone will mistake "3WE" for someone's call letters.

Nor will anyone mistake "Power 106", "Hot 97", or "Z92.5" for another
station's calls. It's *not* the same thing.

No one but you cares.

It *is* misleading and shouldn't be allowed. I just don't care enough to
complain.

You are kidding, right? Except for the legal ID, a station can use any
identifier it wants.

So if I license a station and ID myself properly as, say, KIYS at the top
of the hour, and I'm at 102.7, but during the rest of the hour I call myself
102.7 KIIS, no one will care? There is, of course, a station on 102.7 with
those calls.

Wink 106 FM in Corning, New York, used to play that game a few years ago...
I'd hear it when I was driving through Corning on the way to Albany or Boston.
The jingles said "Wink 106, W-I-N-K". WINK-FM, if I'm not mistaken, is in
Tampa, or was a few years ago anyhow. Even at the top of the hour, the DJ
would ID the station correctly ("You're listening to WNKI, Corning/Elmira")
and right after that you would hear the rest of the jingle, which used the
wrong calls (WINK).

I never cared enough to file a complaint with the FCC, but it's still not
right. I'd be ****ed if I owned or worked for the stations whose calls were
being improperly used.

Larry W4CSC December 22nd 03 04:20 PM

So, the constant mention of the station call/freq isn't working. They
all do it and the Arbitron diary is still full of the information the
three replies mention. I suppose it does make the rating higher, the
only reason they are all on the air any more.

Thanks for the information. Probably best Arbitron doesn't call
me...(c;

M. Hale December 22nd 03 05:53 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in
:

Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
Ditto, why cluster all the spots in 10 minute sweeps twice an hour
instead of breaking them up into frequent two or three minute breaks
so it SEEMS like less commercials are being played?

Isn't the point to increase "Time Spent Listening" to be full 15 minute
blocks so the station gets credit for that? If you run two 10 minute
breaks, you can have 20 minutes of programming between them gaining 40
minutes Time Spent Listening over the course of the hour assuming one
comes back after the commercials.

If you had only 5-10 minute blocks of programming with commericlas in
between, you would never get the 15 minute blocks of Time Spent
Listening that radio stations seem to want.

Am I correct on this or way off?

Mike

M. Hale December 22nd 03 05:53 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote in
:

I beg to differ. If anyone called the FCC on that Central Pennsylvania
station that id'd itself as WHOT-FM all of the time except at the top
of the hour, would the FCC not spank the station? (I'm referring to a
station that was mentioned in the Airwaves Digest a few years ago.
WHOT-FM is the legal callsign of a station at 101.1 in Youngstown,
Ohio, and has been for years.)

This was the old 103.9 WHTO Muncy, PA. Muncy, PA is east of
Williamsport, PA along I-180. All this would have been going on in the
early 90's as I was going to school in Lock Haven (west of Williamsport)
at the time and 103.9 was the best Top 40 station around (for the area).
I remember that they would use "103.9 WHOT" when the jock would talk on
the air, but at the top of the hour Legal ID, the fast-talking voiceover
guy would use the proper "WHTO Muncy, Williamsport". I also have an old
bumper sticker of theirs that reads "103.9 WHOT is Red Hot". By the mid
to late 90's 103.9 had moved to another frequency and moved their
location to somewhere southeast of Williamsport. I assume for better
coverage of the area.

I remember when I listened to the station and wanted to call them
looking for a phone number under WHOT and not seeing anything. I don't
know how I finally figured out it was WHTO, but what I do remember was I
was confused! Was it WHTO or WHOT? I didn't know for sure, but I did
know I was listening to 103.9 FM. I guess that counts for something.

A question related to all of this: In the Williamsport ratings, who
would get credit if someone wrote down in their diary that they were
listening to WHOT? WHOT at the time was not in Williamsport, it was
elsewhere - Youngstown, Ohio as Steven Sobol mentioned. On the same
vien would 103.9 WHOT or just 103.9 give credit to WHTO - the real 103.9
in Muncy (Williamsport)? Obviously, a radiophile who put down WHTO
would do the station best since they'd definitely get credit.

To me, a situation like this is where a radio station shoots itself in
the foot by using calls on the air that are completely different than
those that they are legally assigned. It confuses the average listener,
but it would seem to me that it really confuses the ratings book which
is what all radio stations live an die by.

Mike

Mike Ward December 22nd 03 08:49 PM

On 22 Dec 2003 17:53:53 GMT, "M. Hale"
wrote:

A question related to all of this: In the Williamsport ratings, who
would get credit if someone wrote down in their diary that they were
listening to WHOT? WHOT at the time was not in Williamsport, it was
elsewhere - Youngstown, Ohio as Steven Sobol mentioned. On the same
vien would 103.9 WHOT or just 103.9 give credit to WHTO - the real 103.9
in Muncy (Williamsport)? Obviously, a radiophile who put down WHTO
would do the station best since they'd definitely get credit.

If WHTO had "WHOT" registered with Arbitron as their on-air slogan,
they'd get credit for any "WHOT" in the diaries. Probably full
credit, as the Youngstown station's signal comes nowhere near the
Williamsport market.

They'd also get credit if someone marked down "103.9", since they
automatically get credit for on-frequency mentions. So, if they
registered "WHOT" and someone marked down "103.9 WHOT", there's no
doubt who they're hearing.

Mike

Jake Brodsky December 22nd 03 08:49 PM

wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
How can ANYONE'S IQ increase listening to 40 minutes of REPEATING
commercials an hour?

But Larry, that's the whole point. Repetition is the key to getting people
to remember the commercial!

There are other ways... Apple did that memorable TV commercial during
the Superbowl one year and it still gets replays just because it was
so interesting.

Stan Freberg did a few radio commercials for Chung King which also
attained notoriety.

It's not a Clear Channel thing. Commercials are just as annoying on everyone
else's broadcast channels too. And while there are a few truly innovative,
entertaining or thought-provoking ad campaigns, most of them just... suck.

This is one reason why I like sponsorship advertising. You don't have
to claim a thing. You just tell the public what you do for a living.

Has anyone done studies to show where each type is most effective?

Jake Brodsky

"Never mind the Turing Test, what about the Turing Graduates?"

Steven J Sobol December 22nd 03 10:06 PM

Jake Brodsky wrote:

There are other ways... Apple did that memorable TV commercial during
the Superbowl one year and it still gets replays just because it was
so interesting.

You mean "Macintosh... so that 1984 isn't like _1984_" with the runner
carrying the big sledgehammer?

David Eduardo December 23rd 03 12:28 AM

"M. Hale" wrote in message

Isn't the point to increase "Time Spent Listening" to be full 15 minute
blocks so the station gets credit for that? If you run two 10 minute
breaks, you can have 20 minutes of programming between them gaining 40
minutes Time Spent Listening over the course of the hour assuming one
comes back after the commercials.

If a person listens form 5:55 to 6:20, the station gets 45 minutes of
credit.

Credit is given for 15 minutes as long as the listener has 5 minutes or more
of recorded listening in any quarter hour.

There is no way to get "40 minutes" of credit as the system is based on
quarter hours.

If you had only 5-10 minute blocks of programming with commericlas in
between, you would never get the 15 minute blocks of Time Spent
Listening that radio stations seem to want.

You only need 5 minutes to get credit for a quarter hour. However, few
listeners are so precise, most writing down hour and half hour blocks.

David Eduardo December 23rd 03 12:28 AM

"Steven J Sobol" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:
[...]

That is an interesting point, and one to ask in Florida, where a bunch of
Clear Channel talkiers are all called "WFLA" except at the top of the hour.
They are not networked, either. they only ID with real calls on top of hour.

Or in Puerto Rico, where the news net of WKAQ (AM) has been called "WKAQ
Radio Reloj" for 4 decades on a network of about 5 or 6 stations, some 24/7,
and none IDing with true calls except onthe hour.

I don't think a formal complaint has been made, although I know some DXers
have written complaints of an informal type.

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

So? They have named the station WSC to make it easy to remember. This is
like WWWE in Cleveland (now WTAM) using 3-WE as an identifier.

Bull. There is no way anyone will mistake "3WE" for someone's call

letters.

Nor will anyone mistake "Power 106", "Hot 97", or "Z92.5" for another
station's calls. It's *not* the same thing.

No one but you cares.

It *is* misleading and shouldn't be allowed. I just don't care enough to
complain.

Since this has been going on for 4 decades with no action by the FCC, I
guess they don't fcare, either.

You are kidding, right? Except for the legal ID, a station can use any
identifier it wants.

So if I license a station and ID myself properly as, say, KIYS at the top
of the hour, and I'm at 102.7, but during the rest of the hour I call

myself
102.7 KIIS, no one will care? There is, of course, a station on 102.7 with
those calls.

Anyone at 102.7 can call themselves 102.7 Kiss, but only if they license the
Kiss name from the mark holder.

Wink 106 FM in Corning, New York, used to play that game a few years

ago...
I'd hear it when I was driving through Corning on the way to Albany or

Boston.
The jingles said "Wink 106, W-I-N-K". WINK-FM, if I'm not mistaken, is in
Tampa, or was a few years ago anyhow. Even at the top of the hour, the DJ
would ID the station correctly ("You're listening to WNKI,

Corning/Elmira")
and right after that you would hear the rest of the jingle, which used the
wrong calls (WINK).

I'll bet it would be hard for anyone to say that the station, whose name is
Wink, could not spell wink so diary keepers would know how to write it down.

I never cared enough to file a complaint with the FCC, but it's still not
right. I'd be ****ed if I owned or worked for the stations whose calls

were
being improperly used.

As long as the signals don't overlap, it probably makes no difference to
them unless they have an interest in preserving a national service mark.

David Eduardo December 23rd 03 12:28 AM

"M. Hale" wrote in message
..

A question related to all of this: In the Williamsport ratings, who
would get credit if someone wrote down in their diary that they were
listening to WHOT?

The station probably registered WHOT as a slogan, along with the Hot
moniker. Since there is no other similar call in the MSA (Metro Survey Area
or Metropolitan statistical Area), the one with the fake calls used as a
slogan will get credit as long as Arbitron was notified.

WHOT at the time was not in Williamsport, it was
elsewhere - Youngstown, Ohio as Steven Sobol mentioned. On the same
vien would 103.9 WHOT or just 103.9 give credit to WHTO - the real 103.9
in Muncy (Williamsport)? Obviously, a radiophile who put down WHTO
would do the station best since they'd definitely get credit.

Again, if the staiton registered "WHOT - Hot" they would get credit. In
general, most diary entries are by frequency, so the point is almost moot.

To me, a situation like this is where a radio station shoots itself in
the foot by using calls on the air that are completely different than
those that they are legally assigned. It confuses the average listener,
but it would seem to me that it really confuses the ratings book which
is what all radio stations live an die by.

Since no one else uses the calls in the market area, I don't think the
listener would be confused at all.

David Eduardo December 23rd 03 12:28 AM

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
So, the constant mention of the station call/freq isn't working. They
all do it and the Arbitron diary is still full of the information the
three replies mention. I suppose it does make the rating higher, the
only reason they are all on the air any more.

The constant repetition does work. What does not work is not saying the name
or calls often.

Larry W4CSC December 23rd 03 01:31 AM

On 22 Dec 2003 14:50:30 GMT, Steven J Sobol
wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
[...]

I'm going to start calling myself WCSC on 75 meters......it must be
ok.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Sven Franklyn Weil December 23rd 03 07:39 AM

In article , Larry W4CSC wrote:

I'm going to start calling myself WCSC on 75 meters......it must be
ok.....(c;

Why not? You got the licence, Larry. It's perfectly legal...and if
you were talking with other ham radio operators, they'd recognize you
instantly. :-)

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Sven Franklyn Weil December 23rd 03 07:39 AM

In article , David Eduardo wrote:

The constant repetition does work. What does not work is not saying
the name or calls often.

It's funny. Some people get teed off because the station
"overannounces" the call sign or name. Yet...some of these people
also get annoyed when you DON'T hear a call sign or name until the top
of the hour.

That is the case with a lot of college stations where deejays just
slap on record after record (or CD after CD) on the air, mumble a
couple of words every half hour but that's about it....then back to
another 30-in-a-row.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Larry W4CSC December 23rd 03 03:34 PM

On 23 Dec 2003 07:39:58 GMT, (Sven Franklyn Weil)
wrote:

That is the case with a lot of college stations where deejays just
slap on record after record (or CD after CD) on the air, mumble a
couple of words every half hour but that's about it....then back to
another 30-in-a-row.

An old friend of mine, who was a station owner for many years, has
retired, but just couldn't help himself being out of broadcasting.
So, he got a LPFM license WSHG-LP and spent $70K putting up a nice
little station run by volunteers in his hometown, St George, SC, much
to the big boys' dismay.....

Wonder if he's in anybody's rating book? Anybody you ask in town will
tell you they're listening to it, just because it's a RADIO STATION,
not a continuous advertisement.....

Well, back to 30-in-a-row. Wish we had one in Charleston.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Rich Wood December 23rd 03 03:34 PM

On 22 Dec 2003 17:53:52 GMT, "M. Hale"
wrote:

Isn't the point to increase "Time Spent Listening" to be full 15 minute
blocks so the station gets credit for that? If you run two 10 minute
breaks, you can have 20 minutes of programming between them gaining 40
minutes Time Spent Listening over the course of the hour assuming one
comes back after the commercials.

Part of it is to get 2 quarter hours before listeners tune away. In
the case of the limited number of breaks, "research has shown" that
listeners are more aware of the number of elements than they are of
their length. A :60 is perceived the same as a :30. Each is an
element.

The hope is that listeners will perceive fewer elements in a limited
number of breaks than they would with more breaks with fewer spots.

When the breaks were 5 minutes it was tolerable. Now that the spots
seem to outnumber the songs, listeners are wearing out their radio's
presets. Especially young listeners. I have a couple of my young
nieces and nephews visiting. Not only do they change stations when a
single song they don't like plays, they immediately change stations
when a break begins. I thank MTV for creating generations with 3
second attention spans.

I asked why. They said "it'll be a long time before the music starts
again."

That's not something a programmer wants to hear.

Both radio and TV are so riddled with clutter that it amazes me anyone
stays tuned. Listen to your favorite station for an hour. Write down
every time a new element begins. Music, news, spots, promos, jingles
and jock chatter each constitutes an element.

TV has taken clutter to awesome heights, both aural and visual.
Vitually every channel has a "bug" supered over all but commercials.
Annoying as hell. During shows there's a crawl or a super about an
upcoming show. Crawls used to be used only for emergency information.
I can only imagine the anger of a movie director when he sees his
masterpiece splattered with material that destroys the mood he tried
to create. Often one super overlaps another.

Rich

Charles Hobbs December 23rd 03 10:43 PM

Rich Wood wrote:

TV has taken clutter to awesome heights, both aural and visual.

There is (was) one channel out there (Bloomberg News?) that looked
more like a web page than a TV channel, with all the crawls, windows,
etc. on the screen ....

Cooperstown.Net December 23rd 03 10:43 PM

Guess your nephews and nieces are giving new meaning to the phrase "baby
changing station." They're showing good sense, and radio will have to adjust to
the choices that technology offers them.

I'd argue though that as MTV shortens the attention span of young people, it
creates acceptance of audiovisual clutter rather than resistance to it. And
inevitably a bit of impatience with audio alone.

Jerome

Sven Franklyn Weil December 24th 03 03:22 AM

In article , Charles Hobbs wrote:
There is (was) one channel out there (Bloomberg News?) that looked
more like a web page than a TV channel, with all the crawls, windows,
etc. on the screen ....

There is a reason for that. They're not trying to SELL you stuff,
they're trying to give you stock ticker, news capsules, time and
weather so that they can devote the "talking head" portion of the
screen to news and interviews that would otherwise would be
impossible to do if you had to break for all of the stuff that's
running on the crawls and tabs.

It's an efficient screen space use for an all-news channel. However,
it is annoying when the soap-opera, comedy or movie you're watching
gets blasted by this flash and then a crawl for an ad or promo starts
appearing at the bottom or top of the screen.

It was fine when they started doing ad crawls for the World Cup soccer
games so you didn't have to interrupt the fast moving games years ago,
but now it's gotten out of hand.

Maybe I wouldn't mind as much if the TV stations and cable channels
would just run ad crawls at the bottom and ditched the "spot" method
of advertising.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Larry W4CSC December 24th 03 03:22 AM

Hmmmm.....Radio TIVO....."local processing"....(c;

Once you teach the computer where the spots are in time, it could be
automated.....

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC December 24th 03 03:18 PM

On 24 Dec 2003 07:54:42 GMT, Tom Desmond wrote:

Broadcasters and cable networks are truly killing the value of their
media with all this clutter.

I get irate when the computer crawlers are superimposed over the
ACTION. All during the war all this computer crap blocked us from
seeing the pictures they spent millions to bring us. How stupid.

I'm told the reason for the source label in the corner of all the
programming is required by the copyright holders' contracts. It's so
the lawyers can tell where the copyrighted program material was
recorded from. Laughingly, they live with a grand vision the crap on
the screen has some kind of post-transmission value...(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Rich Wood December 24th 03 03:18 PM

On 23 Dec 2003 22:43:28 GMT, "Cooperstown.Net"
wrote:

I'd argue though that as MTV shortens the attention span of young people, it
creates acceptance of audiovisual clutter rather than resistance to it. And
inevitably a bit of impatience with audio alone.

I think we may be saying the same thing. I believe MTV's (and now
everyone else's) technique of fast-paced editing has reduced their
tolerance for long (in time) shots over a few seconds. I don't believe
they have greater tolerance for clutter.

By and large, radio advertising is boring stuff. it's usually some
screaming jock or business owner hawking something that has no
relevance to the audience. Agencies are so devoted to TV that radio is
a second thought. I can't remember the last radio spot I heard. I can
remember spots made years ago by people like Stan Freberg who believed
in theatre of the mind.

Rich

Paul Jensen December 24th 03 09:07 PM

"Sven Franklyn Weil" wrote in message

It's funny. Some people get teed off because the station
"overannounces" the call sign or name. Yet...some of these people
also get annoyed when you DON'T hear a call sign or name until the top
of the hour.

Radio is a mass medium, and you can't keep everyone happy. So the station
must make decisions based on what they perceive the audience wants, and what
is good for the station. Another classic example can be local severe
weather. Two people can be listening to the same broadcast, and one thinks
you're not doing enought to cover the weather situation, while the other
thinks you're over-reacting and trying to scare people and would you please
shut up about the damn weather! Of course when we get them hurricanes here,
nobody thinks you're broadcasting too much weather! HI!

Paul Jensen
Florida's Emerald Coast

Paul Jensen December 24th 03 09:07 PM

That's the part that confuses me. We've got music stations that
announce "coming up next --

That's when I tune out. Once they say "coming up" that tells you that
what's really coming up is a truckload of commercials and mindless promos.
Listeners know that. Stations that do this are telegraphing their stopsets.

Paul Jensen
Florida's Emerald Coast

Paul Jensen December 24th 03 09:07 PM

"Steven J Sobol" wrote in message

Wink 106 FM in Corning, New York, used to play that game a few years

ago...
I'd hear it when I was driving through Corning on the way to Albany or

Boston.
The jingles said "Wink 106, W-I-N-K". WINK-FM, if I'm not mistaken, is in
Tampa, or was a few years ago anyhow. Even at the top of the hour, the DJ
would ID the station correctly ("You're listening to WNKI,

Corning/Elmira")
and right after that you would hear the rest of the jingle, which used the
wrong calls (WINK).

I never cared enough to file a complaint with the FCC, but it's still not
right. I'd be ****ed if I owned or worked for the stations whose calls

were
being improperly used.

I've been out of the business for awhile, but isn't there a rule prohibiting
a station from misleading or pretending to be another station? This
wouldn't apply to the WSC case that started this thread, but the 102.7 KIIS
scenerio would.

Paul Jensen
Florida's Emerald Coast

Rich Wood December 25th 03 04:42 PM

On 24 Dec 2003 15:18:30 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

I'm told the reason for the source label in the corner of all the
programming is required by the copyright holders' contracts.

No. It's simply so you have the channel or logo in front of you all
the time. Copyright holders have no authority over the network or the
stations in this case.

This is one of the reasons my DVD collection is so large.

Rich

Larry W4CSC December 26th 03 02:53 PM

On 25 Dec 2003 16:42:55 GMT, Rich Wood wrote:

On 24 Dec 2003 15:18:30 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

I'm told the reason for the source label in the corner of all the
programming is required by the copyright holders' contracts.

No. It's simply so you have the channel or logo in front of you all
the time. Copyright holders have no authority over the network or the
stations in this case.

This is one of the reasons my DVD collection is so large.

Rich

alt.binaries.movies.divx

This is the reason MY movie collection is SO large....(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN