Old December 26th 03, 02:53 PM
Ron Hardin

Default Christmas Wasteland

What's with the wall-to-wall AM band Christmas music? I don't know if
it's particularly bad this year and I never noticed, or if it's that
Big Radio owns everything and is saving on staffing this year (are they
thinking nobody is listening so they might as well force the issue?).

Maybe the weather was better in previous years and I was just outside
more.

Anyway I get some station on every AM channel in the daytime, and
there were about three sports talk shows (they have a right to be
there and I don't mind but please) and 97 Christmas Music channels
all day. How is this possible? Is it like car dealers being closed
on Sunday, sort of a gentlemen's agreement? But listeners just flip
it off.

I like the background sound of Imus and Boortz and Rush while I work,
not Leroy Anderson for Christsake.

Actually a lot of stations carried Rush and Rush went to Christmas
Music for the Deaf, and the local Rush station preempted Rush for their
own Christmas Music. It's gotten two deep, it's so bad: Christmas
Music preempting Christmas Music preempting the regular show.

The Messaih _once_ on some station would be nice on Christmas Eve,
but that's my own nostalgia. Nobody listens to Leroy Anderson
unless there's a rap version.
--
Ron Hardin

Old December 26th 03, 10:03 PM
Larry W4CSC

On 26 Dec 2003 14:53:39 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

The Messaih _once_ on some station would be nice on Christmas Eve,
but that's my own nostalgia. Nobody listens to Leroy Anderson
unless there's a rap version.

How many "Little Drummer Boys" did you hear? My record listening was
27 in a 60 minute period while scanning around the band....(c;

God, I hate THAT song! No wonder they get molested!

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Old December 26th 03, 10:03 PM
Mike Ward

wrote:

What's with the wall-to-wall AM band Christmas music? I don't know if
it's particularly bad this year and I never noticed, or if it's that
Big Radio owns everything and is saving on staffing this year (are they
thinking nobody is listening so they might as well force the issue?).

It's a combination of those factors.

* Christmas Day is a very, very, very low listening day for AM
news/talk stations. When you're out with the family, exchanging
presents, doing all those Christmas things...listening to
issue-oriented talk is perhaps the last thing you want to do. I'm a
news/talk junkie, and even *I* am not really "in the mood" for it on
Christmas Day. There's not usually a lot going on in the world aside
from Christmas-related "news", so it's almost not worth bothering.

* Most stations give their full-time/regular staff Christmas Day off.
That leaves either automation or board ops as the only people working.
And as you noted, even Rush strayed from format on that day, with a
probably pre-recorded Christmas Music show for whatever stations were
not preempting him with something else.

* There are many syndicated packages and shows aimed at news/talk
stations who are providing the non-traditional programing. I know of
at least two "Christmas music syndicators" which air a satellite feed
of Christmas music for news/talk stations, from early evening
Christmas Eve through late night Christmas Day. The traditional radio
networks offer things, too...like ABC's Disney Christmas 3 hour
special (almost an in-house production for the Mouse House .

I did hear some "regular" talk Christmas Eve night...syndicated Rollye
James was live on Wednesday night (heard locally on CC's WHLO/640
Akron). And I'm pretty sure "Coast to Coast AM" ran a regular George
Noory show, though it was likely a best of.

Mike

Old December 27th 03, 09:09 PM
Ty Ford

My Audicy has been a privately run machine (not in a station).

It comes with:

The full manual with all install disks.
The latest version of software; Version 3.0
C-52 + EFX plug-in processor card
192 MB RAM (52 minutes per production@ 32 kHz)
2.0 GB internal hard drive (Over 9 hours of recording time.)
SCSI Card for additional external drives.
Digital I/O module with AES/EBU, S/PDIF and wordclock.
25 foot extender cables for CRT, keyboard, and Audicy controller console.
SMPTE card.

$8k

Regards,

Ty Ford

Call 410.296.2868 or email .

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Old December 29th 03, 04:20 PM
Lincoln J. King-Cliby

Mike Ward wrote in message ...
snip
* Christmas Day is a very, very, very low listening day for AM
news/talk stations. When you're out with the family, exchanging
presents, doing all those Christmas things...listening to
issue-oriented talk is perhaps the last thing you want to do. I'm a
news/talk junkie, and even *I* am not really "in the mood" for it on
Christmas Day. There's not usually a lot going on in the world aside
from Christmas-related "news", so it's almost not worth bothering.

snip

I was driving from my home in Temecula, CA to visit family in the
Central Valley and listened to KNX (You can only get KFMB(FM) for so
far, and my KIIS(FM) tolerances aren't what they were a few years
back...) on Christmas day, and I was a bit suprised... I was expecting
some tape/automation, but it seemed entirely live
(news/traffic/weather) with fairly framiliar voices, but then at 13:00
+/- an hour or so they went to a two hour "highlights of the moon
landing" thing that was quite enjoyable -- even though the landing was
15 years before I was born.

Unfourtinately, I lost KNX at the top of the grapevine, so I missed
the last :45 or so ... if there's a copy somewhere on the web, I would
appreciate a pointer (Preferred email: abuse _at_ lincoln _dot_ homeip
_dot_ net)

Happy Holidays!

Lincoln

Merry F'n Christmas N8WWM Antenna 20 December 20th 04 12:04 AM
Merry F'n Christmas N8WWM Policy 20 December 20th 04 12:04 AM
Christmas Day in the ROK Brenda Ann Equipment 34 January 5th 04 02:38 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! rob34 Homebrew 0 December 24th 03 07:32 PM
Christmas Day in the ROK Brenda Ann Equipment 0 December 24th 03 02:56 PM