Old January 16th 04, 03:24 PM
Christopher

Default NYC radio: Does it suck or what? (92.7 FM WLIR is now gone!)

What happened to 92.7 in New York City? IT WAS THE BEST RADIO STATION
IN NYC. It's now a spanish station! It used to be this hip rock,
dance, new wave station......and for a LI station it was gaining
popularity in the city. Now it's gone...

The other stations in NYC pretty much suck. Even 101.1 FM isn't
playing good oldies.....I tend to listen to CD's now for oldies and
stuff from the 70's.

105.1 FM and 97.1 FM are ok if dat music is your "thang" (you go
girl!) ........just kidding, I like hip hop, although it's starting to
sound boring since they play the same old songs over and over again.
Z100 is too teen bop.....and their morning show is incredibly boring.

As for dance music, 92.7 played all sorts of great imports from EUROPE
(which has the best dance music) With 92.7 now gone (which supported
dance music a lot), KTU is the only station playing dance music, and
they suck at it. The DJ's are extremely unprofessional (e.g. Vic
Latino's talks over all the songs he plays at night, speaks over
lyrics, etc...plays from his sound effects machine) and during the
day, they play old crappy songs that no one has ever heard of before

Overall, I just want to say that New York radio sucks right now. What
can help it? I believe NYC needs new radio stations.....it would
really help.

Old January 16th 04, 07:33 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , Christopher
wrote:

What happened to 92.7 in New York City? IT WAS THE BEST RADIO STATION
IN NYC. It's now a spanish station! It used to be this hip rock,
dance, new wave station......and for a LI station it was gaining
popularity in the city. Now it's gone...

WLIR was a beacon in the darkness for many years. For more gorey
details, see this week's Northeast Radio Watch at

http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html

But really, hasn't New York radio mostly sucked for a long time anyway?
In that respect, it's no different from most other markets where
stations play the same songs over and over again thinking that's the
way we like it.

I've just gotten XM satellite radio in my car and don't have to put up
with it any more. I suggest you check out XM and Sirius.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Old January 17th 04, 05:58 PM
Royce Dean

NY radio isn't alone in terms of just very poor radio. It is nationwide now.
Most all CHR Rhythmics sound the same. Most countries are homogenized as
hell. News-Talks all sound the same. All of this "on the 5s" garbage!
Hahaha!! There is just extremely weak radio now, and it probably won't
improve for sometime. Notice, I made no reference to Clear Channel,
Entercom, Infinity, etc. as the reason for this. That goes without saying-

Old January 17th 04, 05:58 PM
Eddie Haskel

AND.....starting March 1st....XM will add 10 continous traffic channels and
cease ALL commercials! Subscriptions are still $9.95 for the first unit per
month..with #2,3,4 and 5 at $6.95 a month....deal with that Cheap-Channel,
Infinity and the spanish blasters.

Old January 18th 04, 01:31 AM
Paul Jensen

"Royce Dean" wrote in message
NY radio isn't alone in terms of just very poor radio. It is nationwide

now.
Most all CHR Rhythmics sound the same. Most countries are homogenized as
hell. News-Talks all sound the same. All of this "on the 5s" garbage!
Hahaha!! There is just extremely weak radio now, and it probably won't
improve for sometime. Notice, I made no reference to Clear Channel,
Entercom, Infinity, etc. as the reason for this. That goes without

saying-

This trend began long before Clear Channel...

Old January 19th 04, 12:57 AM
Rich Wood

On 17 Jan 2004 17:58:22 GMT, "Eddie Haskel"
wrote:

AND.....starting March 1st....XM will add 10 continous traffic channels and
cease ALL commercials! Subscriptions are still $9.95 for the first unit per
month..with #2,3,4 and 5 at $6.95 a month....deal with that Cheap-Channel,
Infinity and the spanish blasters.

Correction: XM will add traffic channels (I believe 15 major markets)
and remove commercials from their music channels. Commercials will
still appear on non-music channels.

You're going to have to deal with Clear Channel one way or the other.
Clear Channel is a stockholder in XM. You're going to listen to them
whether you like it or not; whether you pay for them or not.

I suspect Clear Channel, Infinity and the "Spanish blasters" will do
just fine even with the loss of a signal in a suburb of New York. I
liived in Greenwich Village for 20 years and, not once, was I able to
receive WLIR.

Rich

Old January 20th 04, 04:43 PM
Scott Dorsey

Paul Anderson wrote:

But really, hasn't New York radio mostly sucked for a long time anyway?
In that respect, it's no different from most other markets where
stations play the same songs over and over again thinking that's the
way we like it.

Okay, what's the call and frequency of the Haitian station in Brooklyn?
Zouk music, announcers speaking almost-French...
--scott

Old January 20th 04, 05:44 PM
Sven Franklyn Weil

In article , Scott Dorsey wrote:

Okay, what's the call and frequency of the Haitian station in Brooklyn?
Zouk music, announcers speaking almost-French...

It's a pirate station. Brooklyn is a breeding ground for these little
guys.

--
Sven Weil
New York City, U.S.A.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
In article , Scott Dorsey wrote:

Okay, what's the call and frequency of the Haitian station in Brooklyn?
Zouk music, announcers speaking almost-French...

It's a pirate station. Brooklyn is a breeding ground for these little
guys.

I can believe that.

There is a similar station in the Boston area somewhere, on 89.3 last I
checked.
--scott

Old March 9th 04, 05:21 AM
Nick Name

[...]