Old January 26th 04, 03:55 PM
Tim King

Default airwaves-digest V2003 #296

Too many people out there forget that Limbaugh wasn't exactly a ratings
machine for the first couple of years out in California and that most
stations originally took him because he was free programming. Even then
stations in major markets were tape delaying him into odd hours/weekends
until the show took root. To expect that anyone will be able to
short-circuit that process and jump straight into the spot light is asking
to hit the lottery the first time they buy a ticket.

Further, there is no doubt that Franken is a bright, funny guy but as we all
know too well radio is a different animal. He might be brilliant and he
might crater. Your guess is as good as the next guys.

Tim King

I just think
that Franken and the left envision/hope for the kind of support that
conservative radio hosts enjoy, that is, large numbers of people who

share
similar values...and if there were enough of them to make liberal talk

radio
viable, it would have already happened.

Untrue. It's never really been tried. As far as "similar values" are
concerned, remember that a conservative won the Presidency but lost
the vote. More people who actually voted wanted Gore.

Well, the UAW has been running a liberal talk radio network for a fair

number
of years. It started with Chuck Harder's attempt at a network when he was
living in the Telford Hotel down in Florida. They apparently bailed him

out
when he was running out of money, and they ended up removing Chuck

(probably a
very good move on their part).. and substituted a lot of other talent.

They
moved the operation to Detroit...

They never could get a large number of affiliates, and are shutting the
operation down. I forget the URL, but I stumbled over it a few weeks ago
after the demise was announced. All liberal talk, 24x7. And very
unsuccessful.

Franken -may- be able to do better...but the chances of getting a good

station
line up are about zilch. It will be a nice money sink, just like the UAW
attempt was.