RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   Record Real Media Stream (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/28442-record-real-media-stream.html)

Rob January 30th 04 10:28 PM

Record Real Media Stream

I am trying to record some Real Media Streams from the KQED archive so
that I can listen to it in my car when driving home. Here is a link to
one such stream:

http://www.kqed.org/.stream/real/rad...a-forum.rm.ram

When put this link into my webbrowser it loads up the Real Media
Player and streams the show. Now I tried to capture this show with
NetTransport by setting the URL to that address. Unfortunately, it
downloads not the right thing but only some file with the size of 210
bytes.

How can I capture this stream? What other free software is out there
that can record Real Media Streams?

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Vinyl Bytes January 31st 04 12:20 AM

Not free, but TotalRecorder will record anything you can play through your
sound card.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

"Rob" wrote

Mike Rivers January 31st 04 03:48 PM

In article writes:

I am trying to record some Real Media Streams from the KQED archive so
that I can listen to it in my car when driving home.

I wanted to do that at one time, and someone referred me to the
program Total Recorder. It isn't free but it's pretty cheap.But
I'm cheaper and I didn't buy it. You can download a free trial
version that will let you record for a trivially short amout of
time so you can't acutally get any use out of it but can see
how it works. The advanced edition even lets you schedule a
recording of a streaming program unattended. If it will work
on your computer (it's Windoze) you might want to check it out.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Lukagain Cos Thistlebounce January 31st 04 03:48 PM

Arguably better Rob, unarguably cheaper (free), is
http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/

Cheers

L.

Tom Betz January 31st 04 03:48 PM

Quoth "Vinyl Bytes" in
:

Not free, but TotalRecorder will record anything you can play through your
sound card.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

And ReplayRadio is programmable to schedule such recordings.

http://www.replay-radio.com

I have registered and used both, and prefer the latter.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

[email protected] January 31st 04 08:28 PM

(Rob) wrote:

|I am trying to record some Real Media Streams from the KQED archive so
|that I can listen to it in my car when driving home. Here is a link to
|one such stream:

http://www.kqed.org/.stream/real/rad...a-forum.rm.ram

Open your mixer, select Options|Properties|Recording and be sure
stereo mixer is checked. Click OK and select Stereo mixer. Any
recorder should now record what ever comes out of the sound card.

Phil

Eric K. Weber January 31st 04 08:28 PM

If you have a full duplex sound card with digital in and out, put a patch
cord between it's digital out and it's digital in..... Send the Real Audio
to digital out... Use any program you like to record the signal from the
digital in...

Regards:
Eric

Ron February 1st 04 09:34 PM

Super Mp3 Recorder at http://www.supermp3recorder.com meets almost all your wishes.

Ty Ford February 1st 04 09:34 PM

In Article , (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In article
writes:

I am trying to record some Real Media Streams from the KQED archive so
that I can listen to it in my car when driving home.

I wanted to do that at one time, and someone referred me to the
program Total Recorder. It isn't free but it's pretty cheap.But
I'm cheaper and I didn't buy it. You can download a free trial
version that will let you record for a trivially short amout of
time so you can't acutally get any use out of it but can see
how it works. The advanced edition even lets you schedule a
recording of a streaming program unattended. If it will work
on your computer (it's Windoze) you might want to check it out.

Hmm,

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Kurt Albershardt February 1st 04 10:46 PM

Ty Ford wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

Laurence Payne February 2nd 04 02:28 AM

On 1 Feb 2004 22:46:37 GMT, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

From a realaudio stream to something you can store, I imagine :-)

If you can hear it, you can record it. Run some program that records
a wav while playing the realaudio stream. If you've set up the right
Record source in your soundcard's mixer (probably found in the system
tray), you'll get a recording.

Windows\ Audio recorder will do. there are many more elegant
programs, from freeware upwards.

Ty Ford February 2nd 04 05:15 PM

In Article , Kurt Albershardt wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

Converting from analog audio to RealAudio so an event could be streamed live.

Ty Ford February 2nd 04 05:15 PM

In Article , Laurence Payne
wrote:
On 1 Feb 2004 22:46:37 GMT, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

From a realaudio stream to something you can store, I imagine :-)

If you can hear it, you can record it. Run some program that records
a wav while playing the realaudio stream. If you've set up the right
Record source in your soundcard's mixer (probably found in the system
tray), you'll get a recording.

Windows\ Audio recorder will do. there are many more elegant
programs, from freeware upwards.

No from live audio, say at a conference, to realAudio soyou can stream live
to the web?

I know there are hardware codecs for some formats that do realtime
conversion (minus latency), but is there a software or harware codec that
ctakes live audio and converts it in realtime to the RealAudio format?

Vinyl Bytes February 2nd 04 06:53 PM

"Ty Ford" wrote

Converting from analog audio to RealAudio so an event could be streamed

live.

I think for that you'd have to get the encoding/streaming software from
RealAudio. It's been 4 or 5 years since I looked into it, and at that time
they offered a simple basic one for free. Check their website.
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/

--
Dave - a.k.a. Vinyl Bytes, streaming MP3

Kurt Albershardt February 2nd 04 07:41 PM

Ty Ford wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

Converting from analog audio to RealAudio so an event could be streamed live.

I think some of the higher end Osprey cards will do this
http://www.viewcast.com/products/osprey.html

Bb February 3rd 04 01:15 AM

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
In Article , Laurence Payne
wrote:
On 1 Feb 2004 22:46:37 GMT, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a realtime realaudio converter?

Converting from what to what?

From a realaudio stream to something you can store, I imagine :-)

If you can hear it, you can record it. Run some program that records
a wav while playing the realaudio stream. If you've set up the right
Record source in your soundcard's mixer (probably found in the system
tray), you'll get a recording.

Windows\ Audio recorder will do. there are many more elegant
programs, from freeware upwards.

No from live audio, say at a conference, to realAudio soyou can stream

live
to the web?

I know there are hardware codecs for some formats that do realtime
conversion (minus latency), but is there a software or harware codec that
ctakes live audio and converts it in realtime to the RealAudio format?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jetaudio will create the .rm (.ra) files for you. The Plus version contains
Jetcast for internet broadcast. May help ?

Cheers

Ron February 5th 04 04:28 PM

(Ty Ford) wrote in message ...
In Article ,
(Mike Rivers)
wrote:

I am using Super Mp3 Recorder at http://www.supermp3recorder.com and it's helpful.

Larry W4CSC March 5th 04 03:44 PM

Get Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com for the princely sum of
$12. It'll even create your MP3 for you on-the-fly, ready for playing
on any MP3 player in any speed you can think of.

Total Recorder is like a proxy server for your sound card. Any
software that sends data to the soundcard can be easily ripped to a
file. It also works the other way. Audio sources plugged into your
soundcard, converted by the soundcard to wav are also ripped.

Because the soundcard must have unencrypted wav audio, there's no
hacking around it. I listen to my favorite BBC programmes in my car
on my Archos hard drive MP3 player, here. Works great!

UPgrades for life are free with your princely $12 subscription.
They'll email you when there's an upgrade. It does a lot of more
things since I first bought it....(c;

On 30 Jan 2004 22:28:40 GMT, (Rob) wrote:

I am trying to record some Real Media Streams from the KQED archive so
that I can listen to it in my car when driving home. Here is a link to
one such stream:

http://www.kqed.org/.stream/real/rad...a-forum.rm.ram

When put this link into my webbrowser it loads up the Real Media
Player and streams the show. Now I tried to capture this show with
NetTransport by setting the URL to that address. Unfortunately, it
downloads not the right thing but only some file with the size of 210
bytes.

How can I capture this stream? What other free software is out there
that can record Real Media Streams?

Thanks a lot,

Rob

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....

Svilen March 6th 04 01:52 AM

I'd like to get back to Nettransport, hope you guys can help me.
Has anyone tried to use it with a proxy?
I tried to download through a
proxy . I added the proxy, but when
I tried to validate it with HTTP Connect it could not
connect to the www.microsoft.com. If I chose HTTPGet
it works ok. If I configure this proxy in the IE6.0 it
works perfectly ok. Also, if I try to download a file
configuring this proxy in Other SettingsProxySingle
Proxy it can not connect. If I use direct Connection,
everything works ok.
What am I doing wrong? How can I make it download
through a proxy?
Thanks in advance.

CA was in NJ March 7th 04 04:47 PM

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Total Recorder is like a proxy server for your sound card. Any
software that sends data to the soundcard can be easily ripped to a
file.

Can this "Total Recorder" truly Rip? That is, does it intercept the digital
data going to the sound card?

Larry W4CSC March 9th 04 04:46 PM

On 7 Mar 2004 16:47:17 GMT, CA was in NJ
SHOT_ON_SIGHT
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Total Recorder is like a proxy server for your sound card. Any
software that sends data to the soundcard can be easily ripped to a
file.

Can this "Total Recorder" truly Rip? That is, does it intercept the digital
data going to the sound card?

Yes. I use Total Recorder to rip BBC programmes to MP3s on-the-fly
all the time. BBC's players are java-downloaded media players in
webpages.....but, alas, to hear them they MUST send wav data to the
soundcard, through the Total Recorder proxy engine, which acts like a
T in a pipe.....(c;

A 700MB CDR will play 10-12 hours of BBC Radio (insert number here) if
you just let it run. Why do you think the copyright moguls are so
intent on making it illegal to broadcast over any internet radio
station?.....(c;

Great buy at so cheap a price.....with lifetime free upgrades, too!
Every time Total Recorder comes out with a new version, I get an email
to go get it on my license.

Larry W4CSC
POWER is our friend!

[email protected] March 9th 04 08:09 PM

(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

|Get Total Recorder from
www.highcriteria.com for the princely sum of
|$12.

Any recorder will work. Just set the record source to Stereo Mixer
(whatever is set up on playback volume control) and record with
whatever tool you wish. I use CoolEdit, and save as mp3.

Phil