Old March 8th 04, 06:16 AM
Sheellah

Default Signal Drifting & Other Help Needed

I love the Coast To Coast show with Art Bell, but I get a lot of signal
drifting at night listening in Brooklyn. It's fine on the weekends where it
comes in on WABC, but during the week the signal is very weak on 1110 AM. Would
a longer range radio like the GE 7-2887 Superadio III help, which has station
selectivity and sensitivity, or is a digital radio better where I can preset
the channel. Would that help lock it in, and adjust for drift?

Looking on their website I see it also comes in on WGY on 810 from Albany, but
I haven't been able to access that station. It's listed at 50KW which is the
same
as WABC, so I assume it's a stronger channel. KW's is stronger that W's?

Can anyone in the NYC area help with this? What channel do you pick it up on
during the week? Please also e-mail if kind enough to respond. Thanks!

Old March 8th 04, 04:41 PM
Blue Cat

I don't live in the NYC area, but I have been there enough times to know
what I can get on the radio there. Yes, WGY (810 KHz AM) is 50 KW, but you
will have trouble from adjacent channel interference from WNYC-AM (820 KHz).
A GE Superadio may help because you can rotate the radio and, maybe, null
out the signal from WNYC. The station on 1110 KHz is in Charlotte, NC. That
signal is subject from interference from Canadian stations on that same
frequency. Here again, a GE Superadio may help in the same manner. Drift
used to be a big problem with tube type radios. It is still present on solid
state radios, but minimal. What you may be experiencing is signal fade. This
is an unfortunate part of nighttime long distance reception.

Old March 8th 04, 04:41 PM
Ron Hardin

How much do you want to spend?

I'd go digital with synch detection and selectable sideband, a Sony 7600GR,
about $150 at J&R; and a MW loop antenna next to it (Terk MW loop $40 or
Select-a-tenna $60). The latter loops work wonders on any AM radio so are
worth getting in any case for daytime reception. Perhaps at night they're
superfluous though, because the problem at night is too many strong signals,
not fishing out weak ones.

The audio from the speaker isn't anything to rejoice in, but you can get
used to it easily; however the elimination of adjacent channel splatter and
fading distortion can't be replaced.

And it has shortwave as a bonus.

If you spend more you can get better synch detection, but this gets you what
you probably need. I don't know of a cheaper way to get synch detection.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 8th 04, 08:30 PM
David Eduardo

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
On 8 Mar 2004 05:16:42 GMT, (Sheellah) wrote:

I love the Coast To Coast show with Art Bell, but I get a lot of signal
drifting at night listening in Brooklyn. It's fine on the weekends where
it
comes in on WABC, but during the week the signal is very weak on 1110 AM.
Would
a longer range radio like the GE 7-2887 Superadio III help, which has
station
selectivity and sensitivity, or is a digital radio better where I can
preset
the channel. Would that help lock it in, and adjust for drift?

Either the GE Superradio of the CC Crane CCRadio Plus with the Crane
Active AM antenna might help. WGY is going to be a problem (WABC and
WGY are the same power) because you have WNYC-AM at 820. Your radio
would to be very selective to pick up WGY without splatter from WNYC
even though it's only 1KW at that time of the night.

There are several antennas that couple inductively (without a wired
connection) to receivers like the GE (my choice on price:value ratio) or
Crane and which allow nulling locals or semi-locals to get distant stations.
A visit to rec.radio.shortwave (where AM distant reception is also
discussed) will produce a number of helpful responses... and a hungry troll
or two, as well.

Depending how badly one wants to hear shows, there is also the chance of
moving into a communications receiver like the ICOM R-75 ($500 range) and
its ilk; an antenna like the Kiwa (discontinued, but available on e-bay) or
others is advisable.

The advantage is that such a receiver adds shortwave, an entertaining albeit
anachronistic, feature.

Old March 8th 04, 08:30 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Sheellah wrote:
I love the Coast To Coast show with Art Bell, but I get a lot of signal
drifting at night listening in Brooklyn. It's fine on the weekends where it
comes in on WABC, but during the week the signal is very weak on 1110 AM. Would
a longer range radio like the GE 7-2887 Superadio III help, which has station
selectivity and sensitivity, or is a digital radio better where I can preset
the channel. Would that help lock it in, and adjust for drift?

A better antenna will help. A receiver with better automatic gain control
will help a little bit. But you're basically hearing stuff due to problems
in the ionosphere, which is something you don't have too much control over.

Most of the digitally controlled radios have rotten AM performance, unless
you're willing to invest some serious money. The original GE Superradio is
worth checking out if you can find a used one; it is a much better performer
than the Superradio III.

Looking on their website I see it also comes in on WGY on 810 from Albany, but
I haven't been able to access that station. It's listed at 50KW which is the
same
as WABC, so I assume it's a stronger channel. KW's is stronger that W's?

It's probably too close for you to pick up by skip, but too far away for you
to pick up by groundwave.
--scott

Old March 9th 04, 05:46 PM
Rich Wood

On 8 Mar 2004 19:30:41 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

Depending how badly one wants to hear shows, there is also the chance of
moving into a communications receiver like the ICOM R-75 ($500 range) and
its ilk; an antenna like the Kiwa (discontinued, but available on e-bay) or
others is advisable.

The advantage is that such a receiver adds shortwave, an entertaining albeit
anachronistic, feature.

Shortwave is still kind of fun. I have an advantage in being a Ham
Radio operator and use a Kenwood TS-690 that has a wide coverage
receiver. The antenna is a long wire dipole with a 1:1 balun and an
automaitc antenna tuner in the radio. It'll easily receive adjacent
stations as it sits next to my noise-generating computer. I can also
transmit legally.

I like Art Bell as a person but I wouldn't have spent nearly $2,000
just to receive a radio show. I believe it's carried in my market, so
a regular $5 radio will do for me.

Rich
KF2JO