Old March 22nd 04, 11:51 PM
Mark Roberts

Doug Smith W9WI had written:

| All U.S. stations are currently allowed to begin DAB broadcasts at any
| time, upon notifying the government. MW stations are only allowed to
| broadcast DAB during the day, though nighttime authorization has been
| requested. Very few stations are actually using DAB at this time - my
| guess would be roughly 50 (most of them VHF/FM) throughout the country.

In the San Francisco area, there are five, all FM:
KZBR, KOIT-FM, KDFC, KFOG, KSAN.

None observed on AM so far, but given that Susquehanna owns the latter
two stations listed above as well as KNBR(AM) and KTCT(AM), I think
it might be merely a matter of time.

Bonneville, the other owner represented above, only owns one San
Francisco AM, KOIT, which simulcasts the FM 100%. One suspects that
Bonneville is unlikely to invest too much into that signal (which is ND
fulltime).

On FM, the IBOC sideband noise that is generated is noticeable on a
receiver of any but the worst quality. The KSAN IBOC signal (licensed
frequency of 107.7 MHz) is blamed by some for blocking South Bay reception
of Monterey Bay-area station KPIG (107.5 MHz).

--
"You're about to see a great sunset if you're in the right place."
-- KCBS morning traffic anchor, 6.58 am, February 9, 2004