Old April 25th 04, 12:59 AM
wms

Default Limbaugh, Christie and Guglielmo Marconi

DISCLAIMER - This is not an "I like or hate Rush" post. It's just one
of those little bits of broadcasting trivia (or would it be minutia)
that I'd like to resolve, so I can get some sleep at night.

During a recent on-line gathering of kindred spirits, sitting around
debating DJs, the following observation came up. Rush Limbaugh has used
phrases such as "award winning" and "excellence in broadcasting" that go
well back into his Rock and Roll DJ days. On the ReelRadio aircheck
site, there is a 1974 tape of him using such lines back the Mid-70s.

In the 1974 KQV Pittsburgh aircheck, "Jeff Christie" actually says,
"Some of you are wondering what award I have won, none other than the
Marconi Award for Excellence in Broadcasting."

I know he (as "Rush") has several Marconis under his belt as part of his
later syndicated talk radio personae. However, according to NAB, the
Marconi Award program did not start until 1989. Rush started receiving
his in the early 90s.

So, the enigma becomes, how was he able to talk about an award that did
not even come into existence for 15 years? Was there another "Marconi"
way back when? Did he perhaps invent the award as an "on-air goof"
before the NAB even came up with the concept for real?

Any thoughts?

Just one of those little questions that drive radio nuts, even nuttier!

?^) Dave

Old April 25th 04, 04:52 PM
Rich Wood

On 24 Apr 2004 23:59:07 GMT, wms wrote:

So, the enigma becomes, how was he able to talk about an award that did
not even come into existence for 15 years? Was there another "Marconi"
way back when? Did he perhaps invent the award as an "on-air goof"
before the NAB even came up with the concept for real?

Go with the flow. Much of what Rush claims is tongue-in-cheek. I can
picture Marge and Joe from Dubuque visiting New York looking for the
EIB Building. There isn't one. The closest would be 2 Penn Plaza at
Madison Square Garden where his show originated in the early days. It
also happens to be WABC's address.

The current EIB Building is a tasteful $30 million shack in Palm
Beach, FL. If things don't go well with his drug problem, the EIB
Building will be run and maintained by employees of John Ashcroft or
the civil servants of Florida.

Always remember: Talk Radio is entertainment. Period. Truth and
accuracy are not requirements. In fact, they often make the shows
dull.

Rich

Old April 25th 04, 09:28 PM
ARNOLDEVNS

This is a gag. Much like him saying he has half his brain tied behind his back
just to make it fair.

Old April 26th 04, 07:42 PM
Lee Gordon

Rich ...

Always remember: Talk Radio is entertainment. Period.

It's a shame so many talk show hosts are unaware of this fact.

Lee

Old April 27th 04, 03:29 PM
Rich Wood

On 26 Apr 2004 18:42:16 GMT, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

Always remember: Talk Radio is entertainment. Period.

It's a shame so many talk show hosts are unaware of this fact.

It's human nature to believe your own press. Once you get to a certain
notoriety level you begin to believe the entire world revolves around
your every word and you believe you have some influence over at least
mildly intelligent people. It's all done with mirrors usually owned by
the hosts.

Rich

Old May 7th 04, 04:01 PM
misterfact

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message ...
Rich ...

Always remember: Talk Radio is entertainment. Period.

It's a shame so many talk show hosts are unaware of this fact.

Lee

I don't find lying about consumer products and spreading medical
mis-information to be "entertaining".

If anyone is so uninformed as to ask, "what lies on the radio are you
talking about"- I'll be happy to bring my one hour tape-recording with
me and we can play it on your local radio station.

We can start with, "Styrofoam is bio-degradable" and "Secondhand
cigarette smoke and dioxin are not health hazards!"