Old March 30th 20, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] WHVN To Go To Heaven

RadioInsight

WHVN To Go To Heaven

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...-go-to-heaven/

The George H Buck Jr. Trusts Christian Preaching Heaven Radio 1240
WHVN/104.3 W282BP Charlotte NC will cease operations on Tuesday, March 31.

The stations 8.1 acre transmitter site was recently granted rezoning
approval by the Charlotte city council to be developed with up to 12,500
square feet of medical office space and up to 25 residential units by
Flagship Healthcare Properties.

No word yet on if the translator will be repurposed for another station or
if the programming will continue on current simulcaster 1150 WAVO/93.5
W228EJ Rock Hill SC. The station will sign-off at 5pm on Tuesday following
a two hour call-in show for listeners to share WHVN memories.

The station posted the following message about its sign-off on its website:

When they say “All good things must come to an end” … did they mean
‘Heaven’ too?!

Where it concerns “Heaven” Radio (WHVN ~ 1240 AM / 104.3) in Charlotte, NC,
Yes! They will be leaving the air permanently on March 31st (Tuesday) 2020!

You may have already heard our announcement on the radio, but if not, we’d
like you to know that the station’s owner passed away over six years ago
(2013). A long-standing Trustee was appointed to handle his estate, being
instructed to not only assume control of his business holdings, but to also
eventually liquidate them all in order to care for his widow for the
remainder of her life.

While we hoped for a few more years of “Heaven” Radio, God’s timing is not
always according to our timetable! What we and the entire world is
experiencing right now with the ‘COVID-19’, is an example of this! As Joni
E. Tada quoted (in her letter of March 4) “I am reminded of JB Coffman who
said that there are times in our lives ‘when there is hardly anything to do
except to cast anchor and wait for day, filling the hours with prayer, even
as Paul did.’ Acts 27:29”

What do you do when one season ends and a new season begins? Do you take
time to thank God and reminisce all His Goodness! That’s what we plan to
do! On that day when Heaven Radio ends ~ Tuesday, March 31 we’ll have a
special ‘live’ program on air from 3:00 – 5:00 PM for Listeners to “call
in” and share their favorite WHVN memory! Please join us by calling
704-596-1240 next Tuesday, to share what God has done for you through
Heaven Radio!

The post WHVN To Go To Heaven appeared first on RadioInsight.

Tony Bruno Show Joins SiriusXM

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...oins-siriusxm/

SiriusXM and JAKIB Media Partners have announced that Tony Bruno will join
the platforms Dan Patrick Radio (Channel 211) to host from 3-6pm eastern
starting April 6.

Bruno had been hosting a show for JAKIB on Townsquare Media Sports 97.3
ESPN WENJ Millville/Atlantic City NJ during the last NFL season and a daily
stream on Twitch. Bruno has previously served as an on-air host at ESPN
Radio, Fox Sports Radio, and worked at WIP and WPEN Philadelphia.

Harry Mayes, who has also worked at WPEN and WENJ, will join Bruno as
co-host.

SiriusXM and JAKIB Media Partners announced today that, nearly five years
after his retirement from terrestrial radio, Tony Bruno, one of the most
popular voices in sports talk radio over his four-decade career, is
re-launching The Tony Bruno Show on SiriusXM. SiriusXM will be the
exclusive radio home of the show.

Back by popular demand, the new Tony Bruno Show, which Bruno will co-host
with Harry Mayes, will debut April 6 and air every weekday (3:00-6:00 pm
ET) on SiriusXM’s exclusive Dan Patrick Radio channel. Dan Patrick Radio
is available to listeners nationwide on SiriusXM radios (channel 211),
online at SiriusXM.com and on the SiriusXM app for connected devices and
speakers.

“I want to thank all of my fans who have followed and supported me through
the years,” said Bruno. “I am grateful to everyone who has encouraged me
to return and who still wants to hear my daily fun approach to sports and
current affairs, which has been my forte for over four decades in
broadcasting. I cant think of a better platform than SiriusXM and
reuniting with my former ESPN colleague on the Dan Patrick Radio channel,
and I am thrilled to be able to return to the airwaves with my good friend
and co-host Harry Mayes. There is no doubt that we will provide an
exciting, fun, sports talk radio program that joins a sea of great content
on SiriusXM.”

The Tony Bruno Show with Harry Mayes will showcase their unpredictable,
humorous and unique style, while delivering listeners the in-depth
knowledge and insight that is a cornerstone for good sports talk
programming.

Through his four decades on the air, Bruno has been a prominent sports talk
voice on nearly every national radio platform. He was the first voice
heard on ESPN Radio and Fox Sports Radio and the only radio host to have
ever been featured in the EA Sports Madden game. After retiring from
terrestrial radio, Bruno began hosting a once-a-week podcast, which
expanded to a daily stream on Twitch.tv. He also hosted Countdown 2
Kickoff on ESPN Radio during the 2019 NFL season.

“Tony has always been one of the best and most popular sports talk
personalities in America. Listeners are drawn to him,” said Steve Cohen,
SiriusXM’s SVP of Sports Programming. “We are excited to have Tony and
Harry on SiriusXM, and we’re proud to be the exclusive radio platform that
enables them to reach sports fans across the country.”

Harry Mayes is an 18-year sports talk radio veteran, 15 of which were spent
on the air in Philadelphia, where he became one of the best-known and most
relatable personalities in a market known for its die-hard sports fans.
Bruno and Mayes hosted together for five years on Philadelphia radio.

The post Tony Bruno Show Joins SiriusXM appeared first on RadioInsight.

SummitMedia Greenville Adds Maurice DeVoe As OM As Mike Klein Exits

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...e-klein-exits/

SummitMedia has announced the appointment of Maurice DeVoe as Operations
Manager at their Greenville SC cluster including Rhythmic CHR Hot 98.1
WHZT, RB 107.3 Jamz WJMZ, Alternative X98.5 W253BG and Variety Hits 99.5
Jack-FM W258CB.

DeVoe replaces Mike Klein who exits after nearly four years at the helm of
the cluster. DeVoe most recently served as Program Director of Urban “100.3
The Beat” KMJM-FM Bridgeton MO/St. Louis until being part of iHeartMedias
cuts in January. Prior to joining iHeart in 2017, DeVoe spent sixteen years
with Cumulus in Dallas and Kansas City and also Corporate PD for Urban and
Rhythmic formats.

Klein joined SummitMedia in June 2016 after previously programming in
Indianapolis, Louisville and Norfolk. Hes also worked on-air at stations
including WHTZ New York and WMZQ/WIHT Washington DC. Klein can be reached
at (757)572-5543 or .

After nearly four years as Operations Manager and Program Director for
SummitMedia Greenville, Mike Klein is now available and on the hunt for a
new opportunity.

During his time with SummitMedia, Klein programmed market leader 107.3
Jamz, Hot 98.1, X98.5 and 99.5 Jack-FM as well as served as an on-air host
at WHZT and SummitMedia stations in Birmingham and Richmond. He also
oversaw the roll-out of the Dex and Barbie T morning show which has since
been syndicated to SummitMedia stations in Knoxville and Honolulu.

I thank Bill Tanner and John Olsen for this amazing opportunity over the
past four years and now seek my next adventure.”

Klein can be reached at (757)572-5543 or
.

The post SummitMedia Greenville Adds Maurice DeVoe As OM As Mike Klein
Exits appeared first on RadioInsight.

How Lost Are Pop Musics Lost Hits?

https://radioinsight.com/ross/185677...sic-lost-hits/

Part of what I’ve enjoyed about doing music research for a living is
watching how big hit songs endure over time. How songs perform in research
decades later is their refraction through a series of funhouse mirrors
(radio programmer judgment, music-supervisor influence and other
pop-culture moments, the movement of listeners through the 25-54
demographic window). Radio reacts to those variables and their change in
output (often a culling of the oldest titles) influences the next
respondents.
That songs do not endure equally is obvious enough. Five years ago, Rich
Appel wrote a series of Billboard articles about how “Revisionist History”
keeps “Santeria,” not “Macarena” on the radio. Olivia Newton-John’s
“Physical,” a 10-week No. 1 and the biggest chart hit of the ‘80s, is long
obscured by Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’,” the No. 9 hit from the same
time in 1981-82 that became the most unavoidable gold title of our era.
Recalculating the No. 1 song of each year, based on what was playing and
selling in the mid-‘00s, Appel found the tilt was almost always to rock/pop
titles that are kept in play by the combination of Classic Rock, Classic
Hits, and the Adult Hits format perched between them.
Now, I’ve created a formula for looking at which hits have become the most
(and least) “lost” over time, based in part on the distance they fell to
their present-day radio obscurity. I used Billboard’s Top 100 songs of 1982
— the year-end chart of both “Physical” and “Don’t Stop Believin’.” The No.
1 song of the year received 100 points; the No. 2 song received 99, and so
on. I divided those points by the number of NielsenBDS Radio spins each
song received last week. The biggest songs of the time with the least
airplay now had the highest “lost factor.” The range is substantial, from
the most “lost” hit with a 59-score, “Pac Man Fever,” to the least, “Edge
Of Seventeen” with an 0.001.
For a song like “Don’t Stop Believin’,” only the No. 73 song of the year,
and now the most-spun of any song from 1982, according to Nielsen BDSRadio,
the “lost factor” is negligible: .008. For “Physical, the year’s No. 1
song, the “lost factor” is a much higher 2.94, but it’s only the No. 26
“lost factor” when you rank the entire year. Newton-John’s follow-up, “Make
a Move on Me,” a lesser-but-still-substantial hit at the time with
virtually no spins now, has a “lost factor” of 17, making it the No. 7 most
lost song of 1982.
Disagreement with this formula is inevitable — if you’ve read this far, you
undoubtedly have your own strong opinion — but I hope you still find some
diversion at this difficult time. Here are the 15 “most lost” hits of 1982,
based on points for their standing for the year divided by the number of
plays they receive now. In parenthesis is the “lost factor,” followed by
the number of spins the songs received last week according to NielsenBDS.

Buckner & Garcia, “Pac Man Fever” (lost factor: 59, spins last week: zero)
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, “Hooked On Classics” (45, 0)
Donna Summer, “Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)” (42, 0)
Air Supply, “Sweet Dreams” (37, 2)
Charlene, “I’ve Never Been to Me” (32, 2)
Vangelis, “Chariots of Fire-Title” (30, 3)
Olivia Newton-John, “Make a Move on Me” (17, 1)
Commodores, “Oh No” (16, 2)
Paul McCartney, “Take It Away” (16, 2)
Little River Band, “Take It Easy on Me” (12, 5)
Pointer Sisters, “Should I Do It” (12, 1)
Daryl Hall & John Oates, “Did It in a Minute” (12, 3)
Roberta Flack, “Making Love” (11, 5)
Ray Parker Jr., “The Other Woman” (11, 7)
Sheena Easton, “You Could Have Been With Me” (9, 4)

The songs with the highest “lost factor” tended to follow a pattern —
softer pop songs, middling year-end placement (the highest went to Vangelis
at No. 12), and almost no airplay now. The mini-boom in Soft AC stations
over the last year has put Air Supply back on the radio, but not every
title of theirs. And even for those stations, there are even softer titles
that are left to a new group of even softer/older-leaning MOR stations,
most of them not monitored, or outside monitored markets.
The highest “lost factor” songs often tended to be from the first half of
1982, an exceptionally soft and Adult Contemporary-leaning time for hit
music. While there are major enduring songs from that part of the year
“Don’t Stop Believin’”; “I Love Rock & Roll” — pop music was undergoing a
shift that made the second half of the year very different from the first.
As Top 40 became more tempo- and current-driven over the next year, most of
the “lost factor” leaders disappeared from the radio quickly. If you aren’t
old enough to remember them as currents, you may have never heard them as
gold titles.
But because songs don’t endure equally, they also don’t fade away
symmetrically. There are a few pop songs that have regained their radio
footing thanks to the new group of Soft AC stations — “Rosanna,” “Waiting
for a Girl Like You,” “I Keep Forgettin’” — such that their “lost factor”
is relatively low. Laura Branigan’s “Gloria,” which certainly feels like an
“oh wow” song — is actually among the year’s top 20 most-played. “Through
the Years” by Kenny Rogers, which might well have been very “lost” a few
weeks ago, was among the five least-lost songs of the past week, owing to
its airplay after Rogers’ death. That might be a one-week bump, but the
loss of an artist has been known to return songs to radio long-term.
In between those hits that are truly lost and those that now punch well
above their weight are a second tier of slightly less enduring pop/rock
titles. Songs like “Harden My Heart,” “Somebody’s Baby,” and “Freeze-Frame”
aren’t quite the reliable music research titles they were 5-10 years ago.
But they still get significant airplay between Classic Rock, Classic Hits,
and Adult Hits, and they probably don’t feel lost to a Ross on Radio reader
at all. Other hits of the year like “Don’t Talk To Strangers” or “Eye in
the Sky” get just enough airplay that they have relatively low “lost”
scores (about a 1.5), but they probably would generate an “oh wow” if you
heard them on the radio.
But most Classic Hits PDs just looking for an occasional song to spike in
the “’80s at 8” or an all-‘80s weekend rarely have to dig that deep, and
many are happy to just “play the hits.” Even listeners to specialty shows
like Barry Scott’s The Lost 45s (to which we owe the “lost” concept), Ron
Gerber’s Crap from the Past, or Appel’s That Thing With Rich Appel have
their own favorites, cultivated over time with as much subjectivity as any
large-market, hit-driven Classic Hits station.
Even as a believer in strategic variety who has had the leeway to throw in,
say, “Don’t Talk to Strangers” a few times each year, I’ve probably only
spiked five of those top 15, even on an all-‘80s weekend. Others seem like
indulgences, or songs that I can no longer count on somebody even ten years
my junior to know. Some seem like they’re off the radio for cause.
Vantage point is everything. My surprise and delight in encountering “Take
It Away” is very different from my response to “I’ve Never Been to Me.” But
whenever I write about 1981-82, regarded as a doldrum by most, I inevitably
hear from readers who love any given song from that era. Others are seeking
out the era for irony: “I’ve Never Been to Me” is catnip and “Take It Away”
is a nonentity. The 42-year-old listening to Classic Hits was a toddler in
1982 and may not know either of them.
Meanwhile, here are the top six songs that are punching above their weight
proportionate to their year-end ranking at the time. I’ve made it a top six
because of the obvious outlier this week. In this case, the top song is the
one with the most miniscule “lost factor.”

Stevie Nicks, “Edge of Seventeen” (.001, 1,519 spins)
Loverboy, “Working for the Weekend” (.005, 1,004 spins)
Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’” (.008, 3,561 spins)
Kenny Rogers, “Through the Years” (.017, 116 spins in the week immediately
following his death)
Police, “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” (.019, 1,188 spins)
Van Halen, “(Oh) Pretty Woman” (0.21, 615 spins)

The circumstantially affected Rogers number is one of the few songs that
don’t follow a pattern of multi-format pop/rock hits heard now on Classic
Hits, Classic Rock, Adult Hits, and sometimes Mainstream AC. “Through the
Years” is also one of the few songs with a low “lost” ratio because it was
only No. 99 for the year, so that even 116 spins represent proportionate
airplay. It’s an outlier, but one that mostly proves the rule.* That said,
most of 1982’s Country crossovers get enough airplay somewhere that their
“lost factor” is relatively low — and that’s not taking into account the
growing number of gold-based Country stations, many of them in markets just
below the monitoring threshold.
R&B oldies are also hard to evaluate. 1981-82 was the epicenter of the
“disco backlash” and there were few crossovers that became hits, lost or
otherwise. Patrice Rushen’s “Forget Me Nots” or Gap Band’s “You Dropped a
Bomb on Me,” generally agreed to have become enduring hits for a while,
never made the year’s top 100 to begin with. Some of those that did endure
because of Urban AC (“Let It Whip,” “It’s Gonna Take a Miracle”) or the new
Soft ACs (“Turn Your Love Around,” “One Hundred Ways”).
There are four R&B hits among the 15 “most-lost” titles. Two are in the
“softer than soft” tier that hasn’t come back even at Soft AC — Roberta
Flack’s “Making Love” and the Commodores’ “Oh No.” Donna Summer’s “Love Is
in Control” was a superstar title that never felt like a real hit even at
the time. But it’s ironic to see Ray Parker Jr.’s funk/rock “The Other
Woman” – one of the first R&B hits to break through PD bias – not faring as
well as songs it paved the way for, such as “Little Red Corvette” or “Beat
It.” It’s too pop for Adult R&B stations and too aggressive for the new
Soft ACs.
These are just the rankings for one year, but a key one in the resurgence
of Top 40 radio. A true calculation of “lost factor” would look at the
entire decade. The ‘90s rate their own calculations, and as those songs
creep back on to the radio, they’ll likely change quickly.

The post How Lost Are Pop Music’s Lost Hits? appeared first on RadioInsight.

WKWF Moves Programming To WAVK As 97.7 The Zone

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...97-7-the-zone/

Florida Keys Media has moved the Sports programming of 1600 WKWF Key West
FL to 97.7 WAVK Cudjoe Key as 97.7 The Zone.

Replacing Hot AC 97.7 My-FM, the move follows WKWF going silent in early
March in order to replace its tower. The station carries a mix of
programming from Fox Sports Radio and CBS Sports Radio as well as the local
Conch Town Live hosted by cluster General Manager Rick Lopez from 5-6pm.
Lopez also serves as play-by-play voice for Key West High School sports
which will move from WKWF to WAVK.

The post WKWF Moves Programming To WAVK As 97.7 The Zone appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Alpha Media Makes Round Of Cuts Across The Country

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1...s-the-country/

Alpha Media is the next company to make some staff cuts due to the economic
circumstances created by the coronavirus pandemic.

We have confirmed cuts were made in at least four markets: Amarillo TX,
suburban Chicago, Palm Springs, and the East Bay of California.

In the suburbs of San Francisco, Wayne Coy departs as morning host at AC
101.7 KKIQ Livermore after over twelve years. Coy has previously programmed
KQKQ Omaha, WABB Mobile, and WRVQ Richmond as well as in concert promotion
during his career. At sister AC 92.1 KKDV Walnut Creek, Tricia Ferguson
departs as afternoon host after nineteen years.

Down in Palm Springs, Nancy Newcomer exits Classic Hits 106.9 The Eagle
KDGL after a little over a year as morning host. Newcomer will continue to
track nights for Alpha Classic Hits 94.5 Bay-FM KBAY San Jose

Newcomer previously did middays on Bonneville Classic Rock KUFX (98.5
KFOX)/San Jose, preceded by a stint in evenings on 96.5 HD2, the Classic
Hits side channel of KOIT/San Francisco. Newcomer’s earlier radio stops
include KTYD KSBL/Santa Barbara, KESZ/Phoenix and KSST/San Luis Obispo

A pair of on-air staffers exit in Amarillo as Brad Elliott is out as midday
host at Classic Hits 100.9 The Eagle KXGL and Patrick Clark departs as
Music Director/afternoon host at Country 97.9 KGNC-FM.

Jason Cornell is out as afternoon host and engineer at Hot AC 102.3 WXLC
Waukegan IL. Cornell began his career at WXLC in 1989 was on his third tour
at the suburban Chicago cluster since returning in 2005.

On the other end of Chicagoland, Carol McGowan exits as morning co-host at
Country 98.3 WCCQ Joliet after nineteen years with the station. Roy Gregory
will now anchor a solo morning show.

The post Alpha Media Makes Round Of Cuts Across The Country appeared first
on RadioInsight.

Transmitter From Heaven Jack Schmidling Homebrew 1 July 5th 10 05:17 PM
OT- How to get to heaven Keith Hosman CB 0 January 28th 04 04:19 AM
No Heaven for CW coders Clint Policy 21 September 24th 03 10:42 PM
No Heaven for CW coders N2EY Policy 3 September 20th 03 12:50 PM
No Heaven for CW coders garigue Policy 0 September 17th 03 09:52 PM