Old May 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
R. Rafson

Default A & R Men

Does anyone know what the A and the R stand for in A & R Men? My son is
doing a research project about the early days of the recording industry and
they refer to the early producers as A & R Men. Any help you can provide would
be welcome.

Thank you,

Roger

[ Moderator's Note: A&R stands for Artists and Repertoire. ]

Roger Rafson
Commercial Media Sales
Small Market Radio Made Easy (TM)
(412) 421-2600; (412) 421-6001 fax
The Born Building, Suite 216
1831 Murray Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15217

www.cmsradio.com
CMS is a national rep firm specializing in representing radio
stations in small and medium sized markets across America.
Celebrating our 22nd anniversary! 1982 - 2004.
www.cmsstationbrokerage.com
Small and Medium Market Radio Station Brokers

Old May 3rd 04, 11:51 PM
Bob Haberkost

So what are you asking? You answered your own question (or what moderator?
This is a moderated group?!??).

[ Moderator's note: Yes, that'd be me - Steve Sobol. The original poster
did not answer the question. ]

And there still is a role for A&R...it's what I'd consider to be the most
exciting job in the recording industry, excepting that I'd have to listen to
even more crap than what gets on the air now, just to find next year's
breakout act.

If there's nothing that offends you in your community, then you know you're not
living in a free society.
Kim Campbell - ex-Canadian Prime Minister - 2004
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old May 4th 04, 03:50 PM
Craig Jackman

"Bob Haberkost" ) writes:
So what are you asking? You answered your own question (or what moderator?
This is a moderated group?!??).

[ Moderator's note: Yes, that'd be me - Steve Sobol. The original poster
did not answer the question. ]

And there still is a role for A&R...it's what I'd consider to be the most
exciting job in the recording industry, excepting that I'd have to listen to
even more crap than what gets on the air now, just to find next year's
breakout act.

And more importantly, be excited about all that crap and be able to keep a
straight face while talking to some radio programmer about said crap, and
how that crap is going to be huge, and the real crap is what the other
label is trying to push onto that radio programmer.

It's a soul-less job for which the term "record weasel" is interchangable
with A&R Man.

--
Craig Jackman - Audio Production and Sound Design
Multi-award winning Creative Production, Station Imaging, Comedy, Voices

Old May 4th 04, 05:48 PM
Cooperstown.Net

"Craig Jackman" wrote in message

And more importantly, be excited about all that crap and be able to keep a
straight face while talking to some radio programmer about said crap, and
how that crap is going to be huge, and the real crap is what the other
label is trying to push onto that radio programmer.

It's a soul-less job for which the term "record weasel" is interchangable
with A&R Man.

Not quite the same job. Acknowledging that everyone's ultimately a flack,
there's still a useful distinction between the recording industry's executive
production managers (A&R men) and its line sales "consultants."

So, question. In the Simon & Garfunkel song where they say "I've been Lou
Adler'ed, Barry Sadler'ed", are they referring to the NYC newscaster or to the
A&R guy?

Jerome

Old May 6th 04, 12:00 AM
Mark Jeffries

"Cooperstown.Net" wrote in message ...
So, question. In the Simon & Garfunkel song where they say "I've been Lou
Adler'ed, Barry Sadler'ed", are they referring to the NYC newscaster or to the
A&R guy?

I've always assumed it was the A&R guy/record company exec/talent
manager. Considering that "A Simple Desultory Philippic" is a parody
of Dylan and a poke at the music industry, it would seem that he would
be the Lou Adler they're referring to.

Old May 7th 04, 04:01 PM
Cooperstown.Net

You're probably right. While several of the song's name references come
from outside the music industry, the name immediately preceding Adler's is Phil
Spector.

(The news guy was probably better known in NYC. And, um, for a while some
may have believed they were the *same* guy.)

Jerome