Old May 16th 04, 05:44 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth Mark Howell in :

According to Michael Goodwin in the New York Daily News, Randi Rhodes
did exactly that.

Goodwin got it wrong.

Goodwin got a LOT wrong in that opinion piece.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

Old May 16th 04, 05:44 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth Rich Wood in
:

The "lies" have been all over the trade press.

FUD, spread by those with an interest in AA's failure.

Randi Rhodes allegely suggested George Bush be taken out in a boat
and shot.

Did you hear that program, Rich? I heard it. Rhodes was comparing W to
Fredo Corleone. You may recall that, in the Godfather, it was Fredo's
brother who killed him.

She never advocated anything.

That's what prompted the advertisers to request their spots not air on the
network.

Funny how GM (for the most widely-cited example) says otherwise, if one asks
them. They say they were prompted to pull their ads by the fact of the
change in format (they had bought WLIB to reach the Caribbean market), not by
the content of the new format.

Funny how Ford immediately started advertising THEIR certified used cars on
WLIB as soon as GM stopped advertising theirs...

I think the archive their shows on the net.

Rich, I used to think you were so well-informed. Now, I begin to see
otherwise.

AA maintains no archives.

However, a fan of Randi Rhodes maintains a rolling two-week archive at
http://www.randirhodesarchives.com/.

Old May 17th 04, 01:24 AM
Paul Jensen

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth Rich Wood in
:

Did you hear that program, Rich? I heard it. Rhodes was comparing W to
Fredo Corleone. You may recall that, in the Godfather, it was Fredo's
brother who killed him.

She never advocated anything.

It's funny how some people, many of whom probably never listened, like to
say people like Rush and Sean are full of "hate". Now the shoe is on the
other foot. How does it feel?

Old May 17th 04, 04:10 PM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth Rich Wood in
:

The "lies" have been all over the trade press.

FUD, spread by those with an interest in AA's failure.

Randi Rhodes allegely suggested George Bush be taken out in a boat
and shot.

Did you hear that program, Rich? I heard it. Rhodes was comparing W to
Fredo Corleone. You may recall that, in the Godfather, it was Fredo's
brother who killed him.

She never advocated anything.

Here is the transcript... it sure sounds like Rich was right. And you are
not.

Caller: One more question: Why don't the American people see that the entire
Bush Family are crooks?

Randi: Well that would--

C: Neil, Jeb, George Senior Iran Contra, and and and now Dopey

R: And what was involved.. what do they have in common? All of these things?

C: It's all money.

R: They all stole. They stole from banks. They stole from Pakistani banks;
they stole from American banks; they stole from small banks, big banks,
neighborhood banks. They stole from MY bank. My bank was uh this Savings and
Loan of Broward--

C: Yup

R: --and Jeb took care of that bank. Jeb actually bought a building that was
uh you know took a mortgage on the building of four million dollars and then
just you know said he couldnt pay the.. the the the uh the note you know the
mortgage and the bank totally went belly up and the tax payers had to bail
out that bank too. I mean--

C: They're theives; they're the Corleones and as you said--

R: They ARE the Corelones!

C: --and now we're down to Fredo.

R: Well I gotta find... Well right, we've got the Fredo of the family is the
President of the United States! So uh why doesnt his father take him, or his
brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing

C: Yeah--

R: You know

C: --on a row boat

R: Yeah and let him say some Hail Marys

C: I'll bet Bush does have a little dingy

R: Yeah.. take him out and you know "Hail Mary, full of grace, God is with
you-" [Randi makes the sound of a blast] ... Works for me.

C: Absolutely, thank you--

R: Thank you... I don't think you can say that anymore. I really don't. You
will see. No Godfather references when it comes to the Bush family. Nope!

Old May 17th 04, 07:14 PM
Rich Wood

On 16 May 2004 16:44:01 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

The "lies" have been all over the trade press.

FUD, spread by those with an interest in AA's failure.

That doesn't make sense. Why would a trade magazine have any interest
in seeing Air America fail? With all the consolidation they welcome as
many new advertisers as they can find. I know the publishers of nearly
ever trade magazine. None I've talked to want to see them fail. What
you seem to be mistaking for hope for failure is accurate reporting on
the actions of the network.

I have no interest in seeing them fail. I'm simply commenting on what
I see as incompetence.

Randi Rhodes allegely suggested George Bush be taken out in a boat
and shot.

Did you hear that program, Rich? I heard it. Rhodes was comparing W to
Fredo Corleone. You may recall that, in the Godfather, it was Fredo's
brother who killed him.

She never advocated anything.

Whatever. It still was seen by advertisers as controversial, according
to my ad industry sources. It appears the spots were not supposed to
air on the network, anyway. Not being network people they didn't
consider the fact that all spots aren't intended for all markets. If a
New York area dealers are having a promotion it puts dealers in other
no-promotion markets in a tight spot to hear abou6t great deals that
aren't mean for them.

It doesn't matter if she actually advocated anything. It's the
perception of advocacy. Most of my NYC friends who heard it considered
it to be a call for an assassination.

Funny how GM (for the most widely-cited example) says otherwise, if one asks
them. They say they were prompted to pull their ads by the fact of the
change in format (they had bought WLIB to reach the Caribbean market), not by
the content of the new format.

Have you spoken to GM or their agency? At least in New York it's
always been understood that controversial programming was off limits
for these advertisers.

Funny how Ford immediately started advertising THEIR certified used cars on
WLIB as soon as GM stopped advertising theirs...

I was under the impression that advertising is placed by the Tri-State
Ford Dealers Association. Each company has different policies.
Remember when Snapple was pulled from Limbaugh when it was bought by
Quaker? Limbaugh practically made the product what it is.

I think the archive their shows on the net.

Rich, I used to think you were so well-informed. Now, I begin to see
otherwise.

AA maintains no archives.

Hmm. The publicity I saw indicated that their site was getting a lot
of hits and shows were archived. Perhaps they meant the fan site. It
still means the shows are available to the general public, in archived
form, for a period of time.

My link is directly to the stream and doesn't access the site.

My basic complaint is the inaccurate hype that inplies stations are
carrying the entire Air America lineup. WJNO, West Palm, is on that
list. They don't specify that WJNO is carrying only one show. They
lead the reader to believe it's all there. It isn't.

After the loss of Los Angeles and Chicago, I believe WLIB is the only
station carrying the fulltime 6a-11p schedule.

Rich

Old May 18th 04, 03:45 AM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message

But to see obvious lies about ANYONE spread by someone for whom I used to
have a modicum of respect, and who has obviously not made the slightest
effort to check out the facts for himself... that's really annoying.

Here is a link to the audio recording of the show:

"you can hear it at http://www.whiterosesociety.org,

Randi Rhodes May 10, 2004, 60 minutes into the show"

The facts check out, and, whether it was intended to be humorous, it was a
suggestion of considerable gravity.

Old May 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth "David Eduardo" in
:

So uh why doesnt his father take him, or his
brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing

No, I'M correct.

She never advocated anyone kill W. Her words were, "why doesnt his father
take him, or his brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing"

As I said, she referenced Michael Corleone killing Fredo in "The Godfather".

Unless you are prepared to assert that Rand Rhodes commanded Jeb to kill W...

Old May 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth Rich Wood in :

Have you spoken to GM or their agency?

Here's the boilerplate with which GM is responding to queries:

Thank you for contacting the General Motors Customer Assistance Center. We
appreciate your comments and opinions regarding advertising for General
Motors on WLIB 1190-AM.

General Motors learned the week of May 10th, 2004 that radio advertising time
that GM bought on WLIB 1190-AM, previously an affiliate of American Urban
Radio Networks, continued to run without GM's knowledge or authorization
after WLIB changed its affiliation to Air America. GM originally bought this
advertising time when WLIB's format was Caribbean-based music, targeted to an
African-American audience, which was part of GM's ongoing effort to reach
this important group of consumers. With the change to a new, untested format,
our advertising on WLIB would no longer reach the same consumers we were
originally targeting, and we have opted not to continue advertising on WLIB
at this time. We are sorry if this decision has offended you in any way and
we hope you understand our position.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message
or call our General Motors Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020.
Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00
a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Please reference service request number 1-
217075972.

Again, thank you for contacting General Motors.

Carol Talley
Customer Relationship Manager
General Motors Customer Assistance Center

[ end boilerplate ]

If there's any content reason for the termination of the ads, GM isn't
admitting it.

Old May 18th 04, 04:05 PM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth "David Eduardo" in
:

So uh why doesnt his father take him, or his
brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing

No, I'M correct.

She never advocated anyone kill W. Her words were, "why doesnt his father
take him, or his brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh..

fishing"

As I said, she referenced Michael Corleone killing Fredo in "The

Godfather".

Unless you are prepared to assert that Rand Rhodes commanded Jeb to kill

W...

The message is clear. It is not particularly funny, and would be no more
funny coming from Michael Savage in regards to Kerry than it is coming from
a host on the other side of the spectrum speaking about Bush.

Old May 18th 04, 04:05 PM
Tom Desmond

Rich Wood wrote:

Whatever. It still was seen by advertisers as controversial, according
to my ad industry sources.

Just out of curiosity...how many of those advertisers had a problem with
being on Rush Limbaugh's program when he compared what is happening in
Abu Ghraib (sp?) with harmless frat-boy hazing?