Old May 18th 04, 08:31 PM
Tom Betz

"David Eduardo" wrote in news:c8d8n7$m3e$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

The message is clear.

Only if one has evil intent.

--
|I always wanted to be someone,| Tom Betz, Generalist |
|but now I think I should have | Want to send me email? |

Old May 18th 04, 08:31 PM
David Eduardo

"Tom Desmond" wrote in message
Rich Wood wrote:

Whatever. It still was seen by advertisers as controversial, according
to my ad industry sources.

Just out of curiosity...how many of those advertisers had a problem with
being on Rush Limbaugh's program when he compared what is happening in
Abu Ghraib (sp?) with harmless frat-boy hazing?

Most of those advertisers have "no controversy" or "no talk" dictates when
they want to be assured of a more neutral context for their campaigns. It
applies to rush or Savage as well as Franken and Rhodes.

Old May 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Rich Wood

On 18 May 2004 02:45:20 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

She never advocated anyone kill W. Her words were, "why doesnt his father
take him, or his brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing"

As I said, she referenced Michael Corleone killing Fredo in "The Godfather".

Unless you are prepared to assert that Rand Rhodes commanded Jeb to kill W...

You can try and explain it away but when someone suggests a father or
brother take someone out fishing, particularly a President, and makes
a noise imitating a gunshot I take it to mean there's a victim.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find the Secret Service would find a
gunshot in a boat where the President is present to be a problem. I'd
see lots of very wet black suits.

I don't care where the reference comes from. The actual audio names
members of the Bush family and clearly implies one is to be a gunshot
victim. It's not a terrible stretch to believe the victim would be the
President.

Not something mainstream advertisers would like.

I'm crushed that I've lost your respect, but many, many people didn't
see the reference as a lie. I listened to the archive (the shows are
archived) and there was no doubt the death of the President was the
focus.

Rich

Old May 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Rich Wood

On 18 May 2004 02:45:22 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

If there's any content reason for the termination of the ads, GM isn't
admitting it.

I've been in the network business for a long time. The explanation is
legitimate. However, GM would not place advertising on Air America
even if the numbers were astounding. They don't do controversy.

The real bottom line is that GM didn't buy Air America yet their spots
ran there without their permission. The agency should have cancelled
the order because of a format change. Perfectly legitimate.

Many agencies are buying minority stations in New York because the
stations have made it clear it's discriminatory not to buy them when
their numbers exceed white targeted stations. Even though they still
don't get the rates they're due, things are improving because of
legitimate pressure from highly rated minority stations.

I don't know why you're tapdancing around a comment that clearly
suggested the assassination of a member of the Bush family. I'm not a
fan of the family but I don't wish death on any of them. To suggest it
is damned irresponsible radio.

Rich

Old May 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Rich Wood

On 18 May 2004 15:05:13 GMT, Tom Desmond wrote:

Rich Wood wrote:

Whatever. It still was seen by advertisers as controversial, according
to my ad industry sources.

Just out of curiosity...how many of those advertisers had a problem with
being on Rush Limbaugh's program when he compared what is happening in
Abu Ghraib (sp?) with harmless frat-boy hazing?

Make a list of Limbaugh's advertisers. How many mainstream advertisers
are there? Conservative Digest? Limbaugh has been on the don't buy
list for years.

If Laura Schlessinger lost advertisers because of a gay bashing
comment I suspect those same advertisers would drop Limbaugh if they
hadn't already rejected running spots in his show.

Rich

Old May 19th 04, 11:41 PM
Tom Betz

Rich Wood wrote in news:c8fteq$uh$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

many, many people didn't see the reference as a lie.

The lie was the claim of advocacy.

From http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/12/153908.shtml,

where the whole flap started:

Comparing Bush and his family to the Corleones of "Godfather" fame, Air
America host Randi Rhodes reportedly unleashed this zinger during her
Monday night broadcast: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out
fishing and phuw."

[ end excerpt ]

This is both a misquote ("somebody ought") and a lie.

Funny how the lie made its way into the trades so quickly, to be repeated
over and over again before the truth could get its boots on.

Old May 20th 04, 04:41 AM
NoSpamForMe

"Rich Wood" wrote in message

Make a list of Limbaugh's advertisers. How many mainstream advertisers
are there? Conservative Digest? Limbaugh has been on the don't buy
list for years.

If Laura Schlessinger lost advertisers because of a gay bashing
comment I suspect those same advertisers would drop Limbaugh if they
hadn't already rejected running spots in his show.

I've been following this thread with interest.

Was wondering how Imus manages to retain so many mainstream national
advertisers given the tone & content of his show ? Rich (or anyone else),
can you please comment on this ? Seems to be an exception to the rule, or
perhaps I'm misinterpreting something.

Old May 20th 04, 04:41 AM
David Eduardo

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Rich Wood wrote in news:c8fteq$uh$1

Funny how the lie made its way into the trades so quickly, to be repeated
over and over again before the truth could get its boots on.

The text has been posted and a link to the audio as well. It is very clear
that what happened was an attempt at humor that went to far by anyone's
standards.

There is no lie. Only your denial.

Old May 20th 04, 04:12 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "David Eduardo" in
:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Rich Wood wrote in news:c8fteq$uh$1

Funny how the lie made its way into the trades so quickly, to be repeated
over and over again before the truth could get its boots on.

The text has been posted and a link to the audio as well. It is very clear
that what happened was an attempt at humor that went to far by anyone's
standards.

There is no lie. Only your denial.

As you have read (and posted here) a transcript, why do you persist in
promulgating a falsehood?

From your own transcript posting:

Caller: One more question: Why don't the American people see that the
entire Bush Family are crooks?

Randi: Well that would--

C: Neil, Jeb, George Senior Iran Contra, and and and now Dopey

R: And what was involved.. what do they have in common? All of these
things?

C: It's all money.

R: They all stole. They stole from banks. They stole from Pakistani banks;
they stole from American banks; they stole from small banks, big banks,
neighborhood banks. They stole from MY bank. My bank was uh this Savings
and Loan of Broward--

C: Yup

R: --and Jeb took care of that bank. Jeb actually bought a building that
was uh you know took a mortgage on the building of four million dollars and
then just you know said he couldnt pay the.. the the the uh the note you
know the mortgage and the bank totally went belly up and the tax payers had
to bail out that bank too. I mean--

C: They're thieves; they're the Corleones and as you said--

R: They ARE the Corelones!

C: --and now we're down to Fredo.

R: Well I gotta find... Well right, we've got the Fredo of the family is
the President of the United States! So uh why doesnt his father take him,
or his brother, one of em, take him out for a little uh.. fishing

C: Yeah--

R: You know

C: --on a row boat

R: Yeah and let him say some Hail Marys

C: I'll bet Bush does have a little dingy

R: Yeah.. take him out and you know "Hail Mary, full of grace, God is with
you-" [Randi makes the sound of a blast] ... Works for me.

C: Absolutely, thank you--

R: Thank you... I don't think you can say that anymore. I really don't. You
will see. No Godfather references when it comes to the Bush family. Nope!

Now, please tell me, where in that transcripet are the words Newsmax
"quoted"?

From http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/5/12/153908.shtml,

where the whole flap started:

Comparing Bush and his family to the Corleones of "Godfather" fame, Air
America host Randi Rhodes reportedly unleashed this zinger during her
Monday night broadcast: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out
fishing and phuw."

[ end quote ]

Newsmax lied, made up a "quote" that was much worse than the innocent
reference Rhodes made to her favorite movie, and that phony "quote" was what
the press repeated.

Please do not pretend otherwise; the facts are not on your side.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these