Old May 6th 04, 12:00 AM
Mike Terry

Default AIR America Radio Adds Anchorage Affiliate

Radio.About.com - USA
Air America Radio has announced it is now broadcasting its current line-up
on KUDO-AM, Anchorage, Alaska. "Air America Radio welcomes ...
http://radio.about.com/cs/latestradionews/a/aa050504a.htm

Old May 10th 04, 04:37 AM
Rich Wood

On 5 May 2004 23:00:47 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

Radio.About.com - USA
Air America Radio has announced it is now broadcasting its current line-up
on KUDO-AM, Anchorage, Alaska. "Air America Radio welcomes ...
http://radio.about.com/cs/latestradionews/a/aa050504a.htm

About.com needs to do their homework. The hypoblurb states "these
stations are carrying the Air America lineup" implying that all shows
are being carried. I'm sure WJNO in West Palm hasn't dropped their
regular schedule to carry the Air America lineup.

All they're carrying is Randi Rhodes. Randi has been on WJNO for
years. Long before Air America was a glimmer in an investor's eye.

People need to understand that very few stations carry a network's
complete lineup. They cherry pick the shows they want from a variety
of networks or do their own local stuff.

Most of what's on WJNO comes from their own company's network. They're
owned by Clear Channel and the network is Premiere, also owned by
Clear Channel.

With the loss of Los Angeles and Chicago, I believe the only station
carrying the complete lineup is WLIB, New York, for which Air America
is paying a fortune. I would bet the Air America show most affiliated
is Al Franken who plunged a wooden stake into the network's heart by
announcing he's thinking about running for office. If he does, the
show goes away.

Rich

Old May 13th 04, 07:19 PM
Christopher C. Stacy

On 10 May 2004 03:37:04 GMT, Rich Wood ("Rich") writes:

Rich With the loss of Los Angeles and Chicago, I believe the only station
Rich carrying the complete lineup is WLIB, New York, for which Air America
Rich is paying a fortune.

On "All Things Considered" last night they claimed (without qualification)
that the Air America network is currently being carried by 12 stations.

Old May 14th 04, 10:49 PM
Rich Wood

On 13 May 2004 18:19:51 GMT, (Christopher C.
Stacy) wrote:

Rich With the loss of Los Angeles and Chicago, I believe the only station
Rich carrying the complete lineup is WLIB, New York, for which Air America
Rich is paying a fortune.

On "All Things Considered" last night they claimed (without qualification)
that the Air America network is currently being carried by 12 stations.

That needs further qualification. Did they mean 12 stations are
carrying all programming from 6am to 11pm ET or that 12 stations are
carrying one or more shows. There's a very big difference. I believe
the latter is true. If WJNO, West Palm, appears as a fulltime
affiliate it's inaccurate. WJNO only carries their long time local
personality, Randi Rhodes.

The big problem is that those stations are in small markets and don't
provide anywhere near the tonnage a network advertiser requires. The
generally accepted requirement for network buys is coverage of 85% of
the country.

As it is, spots scheduled to air on WLIB, New York, were,
apparrently, run on the network in a show that suggested the
President be assassinated. GM, HP and several other advertisers
demanded their spots not air on Air America. It's appeared in many
trade publications.

As Laura Schlessinger discovered during her gay bashing, major
advertisers don't want to be associated with controversy. At ABC we
used to distribute a list of shows our advertisers demanded that their
spots NOT air within. All dealt with controversy of one kind or
another.

Rich

Old May 15th 04, 05:31 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth Rich Wood in :

As it is, spots scheduled to air on WLIB, New York, were,
apparrently, run on the network in a show that suggested the
President be assassinated.

No Air America show ever suggested the President be assassinated.

But keep passing around the lies, Rich. The buzz is bringing in advertising
bucks, and as a startup, they can use all the help they can get.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

Old May 16th 04, 07:13 AM
Rich Wood

On 15 May 2004 04:31:48 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

As it is, spots scheduled to air on WLIB, New York, were,
apparrently, run on the network in a show that suggested the
President be assassinated.

No Air America show ever suggested the President be assassinated.

But keep passing around the lies, Rich. The buzz is bringing in advertising
bucks, and as a startup, they can use all the help they can get.

The "lies" have been all over the trade press. Randi Rhodes allegely
suggested George Bush be taken out in a boat and shot. That's what
prompted the advertisers to request their spots not air on the
network.

I'm sure she wasn't serious but mainstream advertisers shun
controversy.

I'm curious how you know the "buzz" is bringing in advertisers. Unless
you're an employee of the network or ad agencies who are placing buys,
how would you know? Many spots on a new network are there to avoid
using PSAs in every break.

With only one major market I doubt they're getting network buys. Even
WLIB, New York, doesn't have the tonnage in the right demos to get
bought. My guess is those were spots being run off from a buy aimed at
the station's previous audience or as a combo buy with WBLS.

I think the archive their shows on the net. It allegedly happened last
week.

Rich

Old May 16th 04, 07:13 AM
Paul Jensen

"Tom Betz" wrote in message

But keep passing around the lies, Rich. The buzz is bringing in

advertising
bucks,

Is that why they can't make their payroll, because of the advertising
dollars pouring in because of the "buzz."

Old May 16th 04, 07:13 AM
Mark Howell

On 15 May 2004 04:31:48 GMT, Tom Betz wrote:

No Air America show ever suggested the President be assassinated.

According to Michael Goodwin in the New York Daily News, Randi Rhodes
did exactly that. He wrote:

"Rock bottom came when she compared Bush and his family to the
Corleones in the "Godfather" saga. "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take
him out fishing and phuw," she said, imitating the sound of gunfire."

Mark Howell