Old June 11th 04, 05:29 PM
lsmyer

Default Question about Ferrite Antennas

I enjoy AM dxing, and I've noticed that the radios with larger ferrite rods
seem to be better for dxing than those with small ones.

I did some research on the subject, and I kept running into terms such
q-factor and flux. My 45-year-old mind only has room for so much, and I'm
afraid that anything I try to learn about electronic theory will just push
out some of the more important stuff already stored in there such as
anniversary dates and current wife's name.

So maybe somebody can answer a couple of questions for me in simple English,
and maybe help me save what few brain cells I still have left.

1) Is there an optimal length for an internal ferrite antenna?

2) If so, then why don't all radios have one that size?

3) Is ferrite expensive or something?

4) How can my little Degen 1102 (tiny ferrite antenna) do so well on MW
while my ATS505 does so poorly?

Thank you in advance for all who reply.

Old June 12th 04, 05:30 PM
Blue Cat

"lsmyer" wrote in message
I enjoy AM dxing, and I've noticed that the radios with larger ferrite

rods
seem to be better for dxing than those with small ones.

I did some research on the subject, and I kept running into terms such
q-factor and flux. My 45-year-old mind only has room for so much, and I'm
afraid that anything I try to learn about electronic theory will just push
out some of the more important stuff already stored in there such as
anniversary dates and current wife's name.

So maybe somebody can answer a couple of questions for me in simple

English,
and maybe help me save what few brain cells I still have left.

1) Is there an optimal length for an internal ferrite antenna?

Yes, based upon mechanical considerations. Ferrite is fragile, like ceramic,
and very long rods would easily break. Second consideration is the size of
the radio. There aren't too many large portable radios (other than boom
boxes).

2) If so, then why don't all radios have one that size?

Size of the radio, and whatever else is included inside it

3) Is ferrite expensive or something?

No, but it is fragile.

4) How can my little Degen 1102 (tiny ferrite antenna) do so well on MW
while my ATS505 does so poorly?

Depends with the circuitry.