Old June 18th 04, 04:40 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , WShoots1 wrote:
Selectivity is sort of doubtful on a lot of them,

Back in the 1950s, even 1960s, car radios were used as tunable I.Fs for HF ham
band convertors for mobile reception, like those made by Gonset.

Yes, but they weren't exactly good. Okay, they weren't any good. I built
a really neat 10M converter using a compactron from a QST project and found
the selectivity issue was pretty serious even though most folks were running
AM and the bands weren't as crowded.
--scott

Old June 19th 04, 05:21 PM
WShoots1

Yes, but they weren't exactly good. Okay, they weren't any good.

G I'd never owned any of them, which ranged from 75M to 10M. Gonset made a
tri-bander, too, for, I believe, 75, 20, and 10.

I had a separate transmitter and receiver for 100W 75M mobile (with three
dynamotors in the trunk!). Then I bought a Gonset Communicator II for 2M. I had
great fun with that.

73,
Bill, K5BY

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM

In article ,
"R J Carpenter" wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message

Am looking for a reasonable cost BCB (MW) superhet tuner or receiver

(valve
or solid state) which has a known sensitivity of 1.0 microvolt or less for
10 dB s+n/n ratio.

1 uV at what impedance? what bandwidth?

GE Superset

Old July 5th 04, 04:36 PM
Sam Byrams

The Gonset converter worked fine: it was the car radio which was
wholly unsuited for the task. But they are fine for BCB DXing if the
IF is narrowed down, or as is, given a good antenna, for audiophile
AM.

Best is an aircraft ADF set. New ones are several thousand dollars
but old tube and non-TSOd early SS types may be had cheaply. I got a
huge pile of tube and early solid state avionics-dynamotors, tuner
assemblies, and all-from a FBO who was grateful I'd haul it off.

Tuner smoke! Ken Bessler Antenna 0 January 17th 05 02:29 AM
FS: SG-230 Smart Tuner Mobile Tuner! [email protected] Equipment 0 November 12th 04 06:52 PM
FC-20 Antenna Tuner broken on 10m ? Simon Antenna 3 January 28th 04 12:45 AM
FT857 mobile 80m tuner? Mark Turner Equipment 0 September 4th 03 08:02 PM
FT857 mobile 80m tuner? Mark Turner Equipment 0 September 4th 03 08:02 PM