Old June 26th 04, 05:30 PM
Jay O' McVeigho

Default Art Bell

I heard Art Bell is or was building a massive new antenna system for his
ameteur radio station.Anyone know what it is?Being that he has all that real
estate over there in Nevada I'll bet it's a Beverage or something like that.

Old June 27th 04, 07:13 PM
Jay O' McVeigho

"Jay O' McVeigho" wrote in message
: I heard Art Bell is or was building a massive new antenna system for his
: ameteur radio station.Anyone know what it is?Being that he has all that
real
: estate over there in Nevada I'll bet it's a Beverage or something like
that.
:
:
:

Ok it was a double loop.
http://www.ccrane.com/news/whatsinthenews11.19.02.htm

Old June 28th 04, 05:38 PM
Gary Schnabl

He keeps making a big deal of having a few hundred volts on his loop. I
remember using an end-fired "long" wire antenna on 160 and 80 meters when I
was 14 years old in the 1950s. The antenna was some 200 feet long. In clear
weather, it usually had a fair amount of voltage on it. I put a VTVM on it
and noted that the voltage would get to a few hundred volts at times,
especially when a storm was a few miles away. During a storm, the voltage
could get over 1000V, if I was foolish enough to measure it. I was!

I could easily get a sufficient voltage to jump a gap. Since my ham
equipment was all vacuum tube, I didn't worry about the voltage. Besides, I
would ground it out with an RF choke except when I wanted to measure the
voltage.

When I was older, I was the CE of a 10 KW-DAD in WI and at night used its
2-tower phased array with 360 ground radials in a peat bog on 160 and 75/80
meters. That antenna easily connected to South America on 75 meters with my
homebrew 4CX1000A final. I could measure a hefty voltage on that antenna
too, so I always shunted it to ground with an RF choke, to keep me from
being zapped when I moved around the spades in the doghouses.

Gary Schnabl

Old June 28th 04, 05:38 PM
Steve Sundberg

On 27 Jun 2004 18:13:27 GMT, "Jay O' McVeigho"
wrote:

Ok it was a double loop.
http://www.ccrane.com/news/whatsinthenews11.19.02.htm

And I would bet Art traded the system out with C. Crane in exchange
for endorsed ads. grin

Old June 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Jay O' McVeigho

"Steve Sundberg" wrote in message
: On 27 Jun 2004 18:13:27 GMT, "Jay O' McVeigho"
: wrote:
:
:
: Ok it was a double loop.
: http://www.ccrane.com/news/whatsinthenews11.19.02.htm
:
: And I would bet Art traded the system out with C. Crane in exchange
: for endorsed ads. grin
:

You wouldn't be so cynical as to think that would you /sarcasm

:

Old June 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Gary Schnabl

He probably lights his array with one of those cheap Chinese radio/light
units by cranking every 30 minutes.

Gary