Old June 28th 04, 03:53 AM
chip

Default sirius permanent mount antenna

does anyone know if there is a sirius permanent mount antenna
available for a vehicle. Something where the antenna may be
permanently attached to the body and the coax is fed in the body under
the antenna?

Old June 28th 04, 05:38 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
chip wrote:
does anyone know if there is a sirius permanent mount antenna
available for a vehicle. Something where the antenna may be
permanently attached to the body and the coax is fed in the body under
the antenna?

Yes, there are a bunch of them available. I think they are not just passive
antennae but have at least a head amplifier in them. Check your local truck
stop. I know T/A truckstops usually carry a couple.
--scott

Old June 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Jay O' McVeigho

"chip" wrote in message
: does anyone know if there is a sirius permanent mount antenna
: available for a vehicle. Something where the antenna may be
: permanently attached to the body and the coax is fed in the body under
: the antenna?
:

With a little ingenuity ya never know.I would bet if you go to your local
Radio Shack(I'm not trying to be a smartass) They could give you
suggestions.

Old June 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Bob Haberkost

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...
In article ,
chip wrote:
does anyone know if there is a sirius permanent mount antenna
available for a vehicle. Something where the antenna may be
permanently attached to the body and the coax is fed in the body under
the antenna?

Yes, there are a bunch of them available. I think they are not just passive
antennae but have at least a head amplifier in them. Check your local truck
stop. I know T/A truckstops usually carry a couple.

I think ALL of these antennas have what amounts to an LNB. Which is one of the
reasons why they're so expensive (you don't think someone would discount them deeply,
thus starting a price dive to more reasonable profit margins?). Also, since the coax
feed that comes from my magnetic-mount is so small, I'd expect that the losses from a
passive antenna, combined with feedline loss, would result in an unusable signal.
Thus, after first pickup, there's a stage or two of amplification, along with a
conversion to a more reasonable frequency for further manipulation by the satellite
receiver proper.

This is no different than the way TV DTH receivers work, the only difference being
that TV, which requires a better signal-to-noise ratio because of the wider
bandwidth, also uses a directional antenna to improve the received signal.
There must always be the appearance of lawfulness....especially when the law's being
broken.
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-