Old October 29th 04, 03:40 PM
Mike Terry

Default "My fears for radio's future"

October 29, 2004
Tim Luckhurst
The Times

Behind the deluge of tributes to John Peel lies a phenomenon not entirely
explained by Peel's charm and talent. It was previously apparent when the
Today programme presenter, Brian Redhead, died in 1993.

Both men were proof of the incomparable intimacy of radio broadcasting.
Millions of Britons sincerely believe that they knew Redhead and Peel. That
is because radio streams into their homes, cars and workplaces untrammelled
by the requirement to sit before a screen. It is a companion that stays with
us while we do other things. We adore its constant presence as well as its
capacity to stimulate and inform.

Now this relationship is threatened. The Culture Secretary is considering
switching off analogue radio. Driven by the same fiscal imperatives that
have persuaded it to promote gambling, the Government wants to convert
Britain to exclusively digital listening.

This should not be perceived, as manufacturers of radio sets want it to be,
as a laudable commitment to modernity. Nor should the excellent sound
quality and enhanced range of stations made available by digital audio
broadcasting persuade us that the future of radio must be entirely digital.

As long wave survived the arrival of medium wave and medium wave lived
through the birth of FM, analogue radio must continue alongside digital. If
it does not, 150 million analogue sets will be rendered useless. The cheap
technology that allows us to have a separate set in each room and to avoid
retuning by keeping a dedicated receiver for each of our favourite channels
will be made obsolete.

Digital radios will become less costly, but they will never be as cheap as
basic trannies. Digital sets are too complex and expensive for traditional
early adopters. There will not be digital radios in every room. It will be
reduced to the "appointment to view" status that renders television less
popular than radio.

Switching off analogue radio would be like murdering a friend. The average
of 22 hours listening a week by British adults would fall and advertising
revenues with it.

Let digital radio thrive, Secretary of State, but not by assassinating
analogue. That will deprive us of new John Peels and provoke fury throughout
the land.

(Tim Luckhurst is the author of This is Today, a Biography of the Today
Programme)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...334478,00.html

Old October 30th 04, 05:28 PM
George Cox

Mike Terry wrote:

October 29, 2004
Tim Luckhurst
The Times

Today programme presenter, Brian Redhead, died in 1993.

Another unlistenable ****.

Old October 30th 04, 05:28 PM
Capture Boy

How much would it cost to replace 99% of vehicle radios with digital
versions?

This government forced rush to digital can be seen in the BBC campaign
running at the moment. They are pushing how excellent digital radio is
without pointing out the defects.

Most of the channels are in mono. The bit rate is lower than it should be,
meaning that there is more chance of the odd tree causing a complete drop
out of signal. With digital the signal is either on or off, you don't get
the fade away that you do with analogue meaning that if you are on the M6 in
the lake district you are more likely to get no signal at all.

Some digital channels are only on at certain times of the day, meaning you
cannot receive all the advertised number of channels all the time, a bit of
a con really.

The government want the current analogue frequencies sold off to make more
money for the Chancellor and you can bet none of this will be used to give
subsidies to the elderly or house bound so they can purchase digital sets.
After all the radio is maybe the only 'friend' a OAP might have if they are
partially sighted or blind.

People go on about being able to get digital radio through freeview and sky
digital, great, but you cant take your TV into the garden when you are doing
some gardening.

This governments rush to sell of this country's prize assets (which I count
analogue as one) has to be stopped.

Old October 30th 04, 05:28 PM
Scott

On 29 Oct 2004 14:40:01 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think you should get too concerned at this stage. There are
no specific plans to end analogue, no dates announced. I think you
can assume that the same principle will apply as with TV, that the
analogue service will not be switched off until nearly everyone can
get digital, which is certainly not the case at the moment. I spoke
to someone at the BBC only last week, who said that FM would be with
us for a long time to come.

Your suggestion that digital sound quality is 'excellent' might not
might not attract universal approval in this group. You say that
digital sets will never be as cheap as analogue but given the advance
in electronics (look at the pace of development of computers and
digital cameras for example) so they may well be as cheap in the
distant future.

Scott

Old October 30th 04, 05:28 PM
George Cox

Mike Terry wrote:

October 29, 2004
Tim Luckhurst
The Times

... the excellent sound
quality and enhanced range of stations made available by digital audio
broadcasting ...

Excellent sound quality?

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 PM

So what are HMG going to do with the medium and long wave bands?
The rest of Europe will presumably continue to use this space, so if
there is no use made of it, maybe we could get a resurgence of pirate
radio,, but if it is used, this will presumably blot out continental
stations, which amounts to censorship.... but of course this is our
control-freak government.

Perverse verses, putrid poetry, diabolical doggerel...
http://www.btinternet.com/~tiddyogg

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
tony sayer

In article , Walt Davidson
writes
On 30 Oct 2004 16:28:20 GMT, "Capture Boy"
wrote:

Most of the channels are in mono.

That is disgraceful misrepresentation.

Of the 56 DAB stations I can receive, 3 are in mono.

They'll be a few less this morning!...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/peterborough.asp
--
Tony Sayer

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
michael turner

wrote:

Most of the channels are in mono.

That is disgraceful misrepresentation.

Of the 56 DAB stations I can receive, 3 are in mono.

Sounds like you don't receive any 'Emap' muxes then Walt ?

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Old October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
hwh

"Walt Davidson" schreef in bericht
wrote:

Most of the channels are in mono.

That is disgraceful misrepresentation.

Of the 56 DAB stations I can receive, 3 are in mono.

Do they really sound like stereo, or is it just that it says "stereo" in the
display?

gr, hwh

Old October 31st 04, 11:24 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

wrote:

Most of the channels are in mono.

That is disgraceful misrepresentation.

Of the 56 DAB stations I can receive, 3 are in mono.

That *is* a disgraceful misrepresentation. If you can receive 56 DAB
stations then you surely must be able to receive the BBC and Digital One
multiplexes, which have the following mono stations on them:

BBC:

Radio 5
Radio 5 Sports Extra
BBC7
Asian Network
World Service

Digital One:

Oneword
talksport

That's 7 on 2 multiplexes and not including any on the other commercial
muxes that you must be able to receive if you can receive 56 stations.
Moreover, I very much doubt that you can receive 56 unique stations,
because if you can receive 56 stations then there's bound to be some
overlap between stations on local commercial multiplexes that you're not
in the area for. That is, how many versions of Kiss or The Storm etc can
you receive?

DAB prices - http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...tal_radios.htm

Message To America's Students: The War, The Draft, Your Future Charles Brabham Digital 1 April 12th 04 11:47 AM
superheterodyne in the future ? Thierry Equipment 14 March 13th 04 09:33 AM
superheterodyne in the future ? Thierry Equipment 0 March 11th 04 11:01 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 01:02 AM
Antenna future Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 49 January 23rd 04 07:36 PM