Old November 7th 04, 04:40 PM
Mike Terry

Default Chicago's super jock Larry Lujack inducted into Radio Hall of Fame

By Roz Varon
November 5, 2004

Chicago super jock, Larry Lujack is being inducted into the Radio Hall Of
Fame. ABC 7's Roz baron takes a trip back to her radio days, as she talked
to Ole' Uncle Lar at his current radio home, Real Oldies 1690 am.

(ABC7 Video Clip at http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/110504_ns_lujack.html )

"Here we are again, the Animal Stories news team anchor men, there's me,
your charming and delightful Ole' Uncle Lar, and there's hime, little
snot-nosed Tommy!" said Larry Lujack, Radio Hall of Fame.

In an age where radio is every changing, it's nice to know that uncle Lar
and little Tommy are still around to get ya laughin'! Lujack is in town for
the ultimate radio honor. Saturday he'll be inducted into the radio hall of
fame. We got to visit with him on the air this morning, and he hasn't
changed a bit!

"I know what they're going to do, they'll film about 5 minutes worth and use
5 seconds and wait until we pick our nose like this or scratch our butts and
that's the part they'll use!" said Lujack.

Lujack spent 20 years of his radio career in Chicago, mostly at the Big 89,
WLS. He retired in 1987, but couldn't get the radio bug out of his system.
Roz Varon was lucky enough to have worked with the radio legend at the start
of his broadcast career.

"I remember back when she was a nothing!" said Lujack.

"Contrary to popular belief you really were very instrumental in influencing
me in the early days of my career; you were so kind to me, so giving, and
nothing like your on air personality!" said Varon.

All kidding aside, lujack is humbled by the radio hall of fame honor.

"You look at the name of previous inductees, like Walter Cronkite, Edward R.
Murrow, Jack Benny, Bob Hope and then you throw in the name Larry Lujack at
the end and it just doesn't sound right," said Lujack.

"It's about time. I think most people, especially those who have worked with
Larry in the past and people who have listened to him have said how come
it's taken this long for him to get into the hall of fame," said Tommy
Edwards, operations manager Real Oldies 1690.

"To relax myself I will down 5 or 6 quick Coronas and then get up there and
think I'm being really funny and instead humiliate and embarrass myself and
I tend to ramble," said Lujack.

But that's why we love him!

"Til then, this is both of us, him and me saying BYE!!"

To see a video stream of the induction-or get more information on the Radio
Hall of Fame-visit www.radiohof.org/

You can see the ABC7 report by clicking on the video icon above. You will
need Windows Media Player to view this video. You can get it FREE by
clicking here. NOTE: Video clips will only be available for 5-days from the
date they were created. ALSO: Video clips will play in a separate window on
Mac OS X machines, you may also see a video help screen.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/110504_ns_lujack.html