Old November 16th 04, 06:43 AM
Steve Sobol

Default KLOL Houston

David Eduardo wrote:

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message

Dear Public,Periodically we hear concerns from you on how we run our radio
and TV stations, the formats we choose and the impact to you as we switch
formats from ones that have devoted listeners and respect in the
community too their formats.

Formats are switched when the old one does not have listeners or revenue.
Your argument fils on this fact alone.

As we wipe from the face of the earth
stations such as KZEW in Dallas, KLOL in Houston, etc. we must point out
that there are important business reasons for our decisions.

Yes. KLOL ws declining in revenue and audience. Houston, in ages 12 through
35, is now over 60% ethnic. Hispanic population has increased by 100% in
just 15 years.

I saw the same complaints right here in RRB/Airwaves in 1999 when Radio One
bought WENZ/107.9 in Cleveland and flipped it to hip-hop. Some people
complained. In fact, I was one of the people who enjoyed the format, but there
weren't enough of us. Clear Channel, it is said, only kept the station at
alternative because its sister station at the time (WNCX/98.5, classic rocker,
sold to Infinity in the same deal that sent WENZ and WERE/1300 to Radio One)
was pulling down great numbers, and they could afford to... not care too much
if WENZ wasn't doing well.

Fact is, Cleveland's population is now primarily Black and Hispanic. There was
-- IS -- a huge market for the genre of music Radio One put on the air. (I'm
actually surprised we don't have any Spanish-language radio stations in
Cleveland yet, but... maybe we do, it's been well over a year since I moved out
of Northeast Ohio.)

Is Radio One failing to serve the public? Hell, no... they're serving a
different chunk of the public, that's all. IMHO it was a very smart move on
their part.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

Old November 27th 04, 11:45 PM
Rich

"David Eduardo" wrote in message ...
snip

Oh, and KLOL's new encrnation is aimed at non-Spanish speaking Hispanics. It
is an Hispanic staiton, but not a Spanish station. It is imed at second and
third generation Hispanics, who are not immigrants. But that does not help
your rcist little agenda, does it?

Nonsense. There is Spanish language all over the station. It's aimed
at Spanish speaking people who might just happen to know English out
of begrudging necessity. Speaking of a racist agenda, somebody please
tell me with a straight face that a station with a slogan "European
and Proud" would get a pass? I don't even think "Black and Proud"
would get a pass. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, people
sure have no qualms about flocking to this nation filled with
opportunity that white Europeans happened to build. It's fashionable
to hate Whitey and quash his culture after you greedily take what
he's built and complain on top of it. Sure, some groups were
exploited as this nation was being constructed, which was wrong and
unfortunate. However, they were no more exploited than they would
have been in their home countries, as evidenced by dominant African
tribes selling people from conquered tribes to Dutch/Arab traders.
Here's another one for you - black people were enslaved by other free
black people in Louisiana and elsewhere.