Old November 23rd 04, 06:11 PM
Higgins

A little #22 magnet wire under the eaves will do an amazing job and
nobody
will ever be the wiser. I did this in apartments and college dorms
for
years for receiving and transmitting. I had a 40M dipole with trap
coils
between my balcony and two adjacent buildings even, once.
--scott

Can you elaborate?? (And presume I'm stupid about radio). Do you just
mean a long, straight run of #22 wire??? Or coiled?? Or what?? Thx

Old November 24th 04, 04:55 AM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Higgins wrote:
A little #22 magnet wire under the eaves will do an amazing job and
nobody
will ever be the wiser. I did this in apartments and college dorms
for
years for receiving and transmitting. I had a 40M dipole with trap
coils
between my balcony and two adjacent buildings even, once.

Can you elaborate?? (And presume I'm stupid about radio). Do you just
mean a long, straight run of #22 wire??? Or coiled?? Or what?? Thx

Right. The best possible antenna is HIGH, CLEAR and LONG.

#22 varnished wire is easy to get (scavenge a yoke from an old TV set)
and very convenient for the job. It's thin enough and colored well
enough to be almost invisible.

There is a discussion of this in The Boy's First Book of Radio and Electronics.
--scott