Old November 22nd 04, 04:31 PM
Lee Smith

Default Consumer -10 To +4 Balanced Interface?

Hi Folks:

I'm in need of a link to an inexpensive adapter to use a consumer unit in
limited broadcast service. Most of the ones I've found on a Google search
are worth twice the cost of the cassette machine it will be attached to.
Since the fidelity of cassettes isn't all that great, the specs on the line
driver need not be super-fabulous.

A kit is fine too. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the opportunity to pick your brain.

Regards,
Lee

Old November 23rd 04, 08:03 AM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Lee Smith wrote:

I'm in need of a link to an inexpensive adapter to use a consumer unit in
limited broadcast service. Most of the ones I've found on a Google search
are worth twice the cost of the cassette machine it will be attached to.
Since the fidelity of cassettes isn't all that great, the specs on the line
driver need not be super-fabulous.

So get a used one. Bump-boxes show up all the time with the used equipment
suppliers.

Or get a console that can take a consumer level input. Most broadcast
consoles do have some trim resistors that can be swapped out to change
the nominal input levels.
--scott

Old November 24th 04, 05:55 AM
Lee Smith

As it turns out, I located one at a local muscian audio supplier for a very
fair price. It is the Rolls MB-15.

Lee

Old November 26th 04, 05:18 PM
WShoots1

Allegedly two 470 mfd caps in series will match 8 ohms to 600 ohms.

Shack has an 8 ohm to 1000 ohm c.t. transformer that could work, too. Just pick
off half the 1000 ohm side.

Bill, K5BY
SE Texas

Old November 26th 04, 11:56 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , WShoots1 wrote:
Allegedly two 470 mfd caps in series will match 8 ohms to 600 ohms.

No, but that will block DC.

The issue here is not impedance matching so much as level.

Plus, the -10 interface is MUCH higher than 8 ohms.
--scott

Old November 28th 04, 12:45 AM
CWB

Consumer impedance is HI Z (10-20K) not 8 ohms...
Only SPKR out is 8 ohms......two caps in series will not match low to medium
Z....only a xfmr will do that....

For consumer line to PRO connection, you can do this:
tie consumer ground to Pro shield.....
tie consumer high to either PRO + or - input...
leave remaining input floating....do NOT ground or tie to other input (this
will be close and give you a good enough range to work with)..

Chris
(WB5ITT)

Old November 28th 04, 02:50 AM
WShoots1

Chris: Consumer impedance is HI Z (10-20K) not 8 ohms...

Ah so... I misunderstood that part. Further:

I was wondering about that series cap thing myself. I've been retired for a
dozen years but it didn't look right. I expected a network with different
values at each port. But I recalled it being a suggestion from Hamilton, the
maker of the Rangemaster AM1000, a Part 15 AM transmitter.

The Radio Shack transformer was my own suggestion (now moot) to the fellow,
whom I recall asking about matching a CD player to a line input.

Even in my old age, I need to resume checking other people's suggestions myself
before recommending them to anyone else. (Sigh...)

Bill,
K5BY

Old November 28th 04, 02:50 AM
David

The Rolls box sounds adequate. Guitar Center (great place to get pro
audio stuff)??

What I do in a pinch is Consumer + to Balanced +; Consumer Shield to
Balanced -.

Old November 28th 04, 07:18 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , WShoots1 wrote:
The Radio Shack transformer was my own suggestion (now moot) to the fellow,
whom I recall asking about matching a CD player to a line input.

A step-up transformer IS one way of approaching the problem. It gets you
voltage gain at the expense of current loss, and if you are going into
a modern high-Z balanced input so you don't need to drive a 600 ohm load,
it's a good way to go. BUT, good transformers are expensive and cost a
good bit more than the electronic bump boxes.
--scott