Old December 2nd 04, 06:56 PM
Mike Terry

Default Family to finish John Peel book

John Peel's widow and children are to finish writing the DJ's life story
after he left an uncompleted autobiography when he died.

The late radio legend wrote more than 50,000 words before suffering a heart
attack in Peru in October.

His wife Sheila and their four children will add "biographical material and
personal reminiscences" to the book, to be published in October 2005.

It would be a "terrible waste" to let his work stay unpublished, Sheila
said.

"We thought long and hard about what we should do with John's
autobiography," she said.

"This book was very important to him and he was very excited about writing
it." He would have wanted his family to complete it, she added.

Larry Finlay, managing director of publisher Transworld, said he was working
with the family to "publish the book that I know John himself would have
wanted".

The DJ signed a deal worth up to £1.6m for the autobiography with Transworld
after a bidding war in April 2003.

Mr Finlay had previously said it was "sad" that unauthorised biographies had
been hastily written since John Peel's death. Two have been published in the
last week.

The publishers of those books have said they were only doing what countless
newspapers, magazines, TV and radio stations and websites had done since his
death - paying tribute to a much-loved broadcaster.

BBC Radio 1 has scheduled a night of tribute shows for Peel on 16 December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4056629.stm

How John Peel helped shape American musical taste. Mike Terry Broadcasting 13 November 7th 04 12:46 AM
Memories of a free spirit Mike Terry Broadcasting 2 November 5th 04 06:08 AM
John Peel RIP Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 October 27th 04 07:50 AM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM