Old December 3rd 04, 10:35 PM
Mike Terry

Default Satellite radio on mobile phones

Accessing satellite radio on mobile phones would be possible in the next
five years. Hugh Panero, chief executive officer, XM Satellite Radio
Holdings, has confirmed that his company is exploring the possibility of the
merger of the two technologies. Panero says, "Our core base is people who
listen to radio at home and in the car and now in the mobile market. I think
that as other distribution points present themselves, whether it be
cellphones, or other mobile devices, we obviously can have a place in that."

XM Satellite Radio is in discussion with other service providers and
hardware manufacturers. "They clearly have a need to efficiently provide
content that will help motivate people to buy their hardware and we're a
natural place to go as we have become a more important player in content,"
Panero said. Panero cited greater interest now that XM, the satellite market
leader against No. 2 rival Sirius Satellite Radio, draws near three million
subscribers.

"When you first start out, you knock on a lot of doors. But when you wind up
getting nearly 3 million subscribers... the deal flow moves to you," he
said. "We're a natural place that people want to go to explore how we can do
things together. Then you get a lot of engineers together and as long as
they're all motivated and in the same room, magic can happen. And that's
what I think will happen over the next five years," he said.

XM in late October unveiled its wearable Delphi XM MyFi to further
differentiate itself from Sirius and to lure users to a medium previously
confined to the home and the car. The MyFi costs $350 in addition to XM's
$9.99 monthly fee for more than 130 channels of commercial-free programing.
It can run for five hours on a rechargeable battery and uses an antenna in
its case to draw down the satellite signals.

( http://www.agencyfaqs.com/media/new_..._news/868.html )

Old December 4th 04, 05:15 PM
Rich Wood

On 3 Dec 2004 22:35:24 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

XM in late October unveiled its wearable Delphi XM MyFi to further
differentiate itself from Sirius and to lure users to a medium previously
confined to the home and the car. The MyFi costs $350 in addition to XM's
$9.99 monthly fee for more than 130 channels of commercial-free programing.
It can run for five hours on a rechargeable battery and uses an antenna in
its case to draw down the satellite signals.

What XM service does the writer subscribe to? The one I pay for has
commercials on all but the music channels. Same with SIRIUS. Does he
pay extra for the 100% commercial free service? How much extra is it?

Rich

Old January 25th 05, 07:59 PM
arnold evans

The writer was wrong. XM is commercial free on all music channels.
They run ads and promos on things like CNN's audio feed when the cable
channel goes to break. Same for the talk shows that are also run on
regular radio stations.

I don't find that a problem. It's not like XM is going to get a talk
show host to keep talking during a commercial break.