Old December 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Drew A. Durigan

After reading this group, I decided to check it out for myself last night.

Here in Orlando, the Cuban signal on 560 is completely obliterating WQAM. The
strength of the Cuban signal is such that it is receivable on my cheapest
radio, a small AM/FM portable which I bought about 10 years ago for $10.

Normally, WQAM puts a weak but listenable signal here both day and night. I
have never before heard a Cuban on 560, either day or night.

Now, the only way WQAM can be heard is by nulling the Cuban, using the
excellent directional characteristics of my C. Crane Radio. Even so, the Cuban
station mixes with WQAM, as the axis between Miami and Cuba from here is less
than a full 90 degrees.

I also noticed the Cuban station was overmodulated to the point of distortion.
What makes this interesting is that this station seems to be a network
affilliate. The other receivable Cuban stations on the same network (600, 620,
and 640) are normally modulated and not distorted. This suggests the
overmodulation on 560 could be intentional as this would cause maximum
"tearing" and interference to WQAM.

-Drew in Sunny Central Florida-

Old December 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Blue Cat

"Peter H." wrote in message

The question is whether there should be a
new NARBA, or whether the gentlemen's agreements continue as they are.

I guess you have little real idea how broadcast allocations actually work.

There are no "gentleman's agreements", but there are treaties, such as

NARBA,
and "Rio".

Plus the U.S.-Mexican Broadcast Agreement and the U.S.-Canadian Broadcast
agreement.

All coordinated through the State Department, not through a "smoke filled"
room.

And this could apply to Cuba as well, if that is Castro's desire.

The Bahamas operates a I-B on 810 khz, a U. S. I-B clear, in addition to

its
I-A clear on 1540 khz. (These are just a few examples).

Bad examples, as there are no more Class I-B stations.

Sorry about the mistake in the classification. However I easily receive
ZNS3, Freeport, Bahamas, on 810 khz day and night from Florida. The
announcer says that the station's power is 10 kw.

All Class Is were merged into Class A by "Rio". All Class IIs and Class

IIIs
were merged into Class B by the same treaty.

There are no Class A (ex-Class I-B) stations in North America on 810

besides
KGO and WGY.

The Bahamas has two stations, a Class A (ex-Class I-A) on 1540, and a

Class C
(ex-Class IV) on 1240.

Those are the two stations serving Nassau. The station on 810 is in
Freeport.

Old December 30th 04, 11:51 PM
David Eduardo

"Peter H." wrote in message

There are no Class A (ex-Class I-B) stations in North America on 810
besides
KGO and WGY.

The Bahamas has two stations, a Class A (ex-Class I-A) on 1540, and a
Class C
(ex-Class IV) on 1240.

Freeport has been on 810 for at least 25 years.

Old December 30th 04, 11:51 PM
David Eduardo

"Drew A. Durigan" wrote in message
[...]

WQAM is in English. There is no need to jam it.

Old December 30th 04, 11:52 PM
David Eduardo

"Bob Haberkost" wrote in message

Although....it was Castro who abrogated Cuba's commitment to NARBA.
Before then,
Cuba and the US got along famously, and there was no problems in Cubans
getting U-S
radio, or Floridians Cuban radio. And, Rich is right. When we make nice
with Cuba,
Castro throttles back the blowtorches, since the whole island does
perfectly well
with 5kW on most channels (which shoots down your point that Cuba is
entitled to 1As
or Bs).

Conductivity in Cuba is like much of Puerto Rico... horrible. The only net
in pre-castro years that covered all of Cuba was Circuito CMQ, with about a
dozen staitons, ranging from 50 kw to 10 kw. Today, the major networks have
5 or 6 staitons, but use 10 to 120 kw to fully cover the Island. There are a
half dozen national nets, many regional nets and a lot of local stations.

It's only when the U-S government starts up with some provocative
propaganda
intiative that Castro smokes Florida (and points north...I remember how
hard it was
to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR when the fight was on between the two
antagonists,
as there was an operation on 710 which ran 250kW or some such in Cuba).

Nope. It was a set of 50 kw stations in each "third" of Cuba, running
regular programming. Now, there is a single 50 and two or three 10 kw
stations.

Old December 30th 04, 11:52 PM
Peter H.

Sorry about the mistake in the classification. However I easily receive ZNS3,
Freeport, Bahamas, on 810 khz day and night from Florida. The announcer says
that the station's power is 10 kw.

ZNS3 isn't in the FCC database, but what else is new.

Even if it was 50 kW, it would be a Class B as the Bahamas has no Class A
priority on 810.

ZNS1 operates 50 kW DA-1 mainly because after "Rio" any Class I-A had to
operate with 50 kW (U.S. and Canada, et. al.) and "at least 50 kW" (Mexico) in
order to retain Class I-A status.

Before, ZNS1 (a Class I-A) operated with 10 kW, and Canada's 1580 Class I-A
also operated with 10 kW.

Class I-Bs and Class I-Ns can be grandfathered at 10 kW , but Class I-As can't
be.

This, not withstanding XERF operating with 10 kW for decades now.

The U.S. isn't going to force the issue with Mexico and demand that XERF
operate with its "notified" 250 kW, simply becuase there is not that much
utility power available in the area, and, anyway, the 250 kW transmitter
doesn't exist anymore.

But, the Bahamas' 1540 and Canada's 1580 were indeed forced to move to 50 kW,
which required both to install directional antennas to protect stations of
lower class in the U.S.