Old January 11th 05, 07:04 AM
Mike Terry

Default Commercial radio unites for tsunami fundraiser

Eight of the UK's radio giants have collaborated to suspend their schedules
for 12 hours on 17 January in aid of the Asian tsunami appeal.

Emap, Chrysalis, Guardian Media Group, GWR, Scottish Radio Holdings, Capital
and Virgin have created UK Radio Aid - a move which will see a special
one-off programme broadcast from 6am from Capital's London headquarters.

The special 12-hour show will be guest presented by two DJs every hour from
across the networks.

Content will include contributions from musicians, sports and TV stars, and
politicians.

The networks that have agreed to the deal have pledged to donate a single
day's profits to relief programmes associated with the tsunami.

Mark Story, chairman of UK Radio Aid, said: "I am immensely proud of and
grateful to our colleagues across commercial radio who when asked for an
extraordinary response to this disaster were all in immediate agreement to
unite for this very special day."

Real Madrid and England striker Michael Owen added: "This is a tragedy that
has touched everyone and it's important that the giving continues. It will
take years to restore the communities in these countries and we should all
do our bit to help.

"This is a great idea which reflects the value of working together to help."

By Kevin May
http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/articles/...tsunamiappeal-