Old May 11th 21, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] Jilly Joins 105.9 The Rock As Midday Host

RadioInsight

Jilly Joins 105.9 The Rock As Midday Host

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...s-midday-host/

iHeartMedia Classic Rock 105.9 The Rock WNRQ Nashville has added Jilly as
midday host.

Previously spending most of her career in Top 40, Jilly has hosted nights
at 103.5 Kiss-FM WKSC-FM Chicago, Hot 95.7 KKHH Houston, and middays at
96.5 Amp Radio WZMP Philadelphia. She has also co-hosted her husband Josh
Innes morning show at iHeartMedias Sports 790 KBME Houston. Innes recently
joined WNRQ as morning host in.

She takes the midday slot that had been held remotely by Aly Young.

The Big Shadow of the Big 8

https://radioinsight.com/ross/207763...-of-the-big-8/

A few days ago, one of the radio people I follow started a “what songs are
garbage” discussion on Twitter. One of the songs at the top of the thread
was “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll.” For me, it was a surprising choice; it was also
surprising how quickly people chimed in to agree. There was no discussion
of what was wrong with “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll”; among those who disliked the
song, it had somehow become “You Light Up My Life” or “We Built This City,”
or one of the other hits generally agreed to be fair game.

At the time, “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” was probably one of our least-risible
CHR hits, especially since it was on the radio at the same time as “I’ve
Never Been to Me.” After 39 years, Jett’s version has certainly moved to
the list of “no wow songs,” but it’s one I can still sit through, unlike,
say, “(I Just) Died in Your Arms” or “Eye of the Tiger.” Jett has
maintained her hipness over the years. I’m guessing that the animosity is
mostly generational — a still-unavoidable song that is a decade ahead of
the posters’ frame of reference.

Knowing that “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” has become “before my time and I don’t
get it” for somebody does put in perspective just how long it’s been since
the meteorite that was CKLW Detroit. “The Big 8” was the Windsor,
Ontario-licensed Top 40 which, in 1967, became the high-energy showcase for
the Bill Drake version of top 40, far more easily heard than flagship KHJ
Los Angeles because of a powerhouse AM signal that blanketed the Northeast
and Midwest.

Under influential MD Rosalie Trombley, CKLW was often the first station to
cross over an R&B hit. It became a grudging portal for Canadian music in
the U.S. 50 years ago when Canadian content became a government mandate.
CK’s dominance was challenged by FM rival WDRQ in 1973, then by the move of
most-self-respecting 12-year-olds to AOR WRIF a year or so later. When “I
Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” came along, CK was heading into its last full year as a
CHR station. The Top 40 rebound gave CKLW a new shot of energy in 1982-83,
but it also gave Detroit two new FM CHR stations.

And yet, any concerns I might have had about what CKLW still means to Ross
on Radio readers were allayed when Charlie O’Brien posted David Kelly’s The
CKLW Chart Book (1967-1983) on his Big8Radio.com site. O’Brien was with
CKLW until the end of its CHR run, and later channeled the station’s legacy
as PD of oldies AM sister CKWW. Now he’s doing the same on Big8Radio, which
intersperses vintage CK jingles and audio with a long oldies playlist. In
the 10 days or so before I could write about the chart book, at least three
readers found the link themselves and wanted to share it with me. (“I Love
Rock ‘n’ Roll” spent 10 weeks at No. 1 on CKLW, in case you’re wondering.)

CKLW’s last Top 40 PD has also been busy. Since February, he’s been posting
a free 19-part (so far) YouTube tutorial on programming, Pat Holiday’s
Musicom Academy. Holiday made a successful transition to being a General
Manager and group VP of programming for Canada’s Standard Broadcasting.
(Holiday’s career path in Canada is similar to the one that John Gehron,
now GM of Accuradio, took here from PD of WLS Chicago and others to GM to
group duties.)

In the first episode of his “programming master class,” Holiday recalls how
when he made the transition to management, he was able to take sales
training classes, but no such support exists for the air talent and other
aspiring programmers, who are left to figure out the job by osmosis. The
series is also targeted to GMs who come through the sales ranks without the
background or impetus to understand what their programmers are doing.*
Episodes range from what the PD job actually entails to the “Best Radio
Advice Ever” that Holiday was given early on in an aircheck session.

Some readers are likely to take exception with the notion that anybody is
looking for radio-station PD training in 2021. And yet, I got exactly that
e-mail from a reader, currently doing mornings in a medium-to-small market,
in recent weeks. What broadcast radio has to offer on the infinite dial has
a lot to do with both the precision and music advocacy that made CKLW
legendary. Holiday’s advice, from WOR-FM New York PD Sebastian Stone, was
to make sure something in every break was uniquely his, even during the
music frontsell or weather forecast that every other jock did. That’s
crucial to radio’s future, too.

Even in its last few years as a CHR, CKLW had fans. I wrote a senior-year
paper on CKLW that gave me an excuse to interview Holiday. Listener David
Kelly, who heard CKLW booming in like a local station in Northwest
Pennsylvania, paid close enough attention to the station that his CKLW
Chart Book includes not only the songs that made CKLW’s reported playlist,
but numerous Canadian titles that were played, but never made print on the
official survey or in the trades, often because they were not released or
worked in America.*

CKLW was a treasure trove for lost Cancon. O’Brien’s online Big8Radio.com
has no government mandate to play any, but you’ll still hear some Canadian
titles pop up, as well as many of the only-in-Detroit R&B crossovers that
were a key part of the station’s legacy.*

Big8Radio.com’s music starts well before 1967, the year that the Drake
format propelled a station that was already Top 40 into contention, then
dominance. Perhaps the best illustration of the station’s musical mission
is that O’Brien has been scouring Ross on Radio’s “Lost Factor” articles
looking for forgotten hits to add to the station, and that he’s typically
only had to add one or two per article that he wasn’t already playing.

Here’s Big 8 Radio on May 2, 2021:

Elton John, “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word”
Beach Boys, “I Get Around”
Lighthouse, “Hats Off to the Stranger” (Canadian)
Honey Cone, “Take Me With You”
Rose Royce, “I Wanna Get Next to You”
Elvis Presley, “The Wonder of You”
CKLW Aircheck, Pat Holiday, 12/31/73 (billed as a “Big 8 Break”)
Dick & Dee Dee, “Thou Shalt Not Steal”
Gloria Taylor, “You’ve Got to Pay the Price”
Contours, “First I Look at the Purse”
Terry Gilkyson, “Marianne”
Frankie Valli, “The Proud One”
Bruce Springsteen, “Badlands”
Marmalade, “Reflections of My Life”

CKLW’s often adversarial relationship with Canada’s broadcast regulator
ended in the station being denied permission to move its Top 40 format to
FM in 1984. Last November, CHR finally came to the frequency it intended to
move to. Meanwhile, another former CKLW PD has stayed busy programming
current music online; here’s what Bill Hennes is doing now.*

KGU Honolulu Flips To Sports

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...ips-to-sports/

Salem Media Group flipped Classic Country Real Country 760 KGU/95.1 K236CR
Honolulu to Sports The Shark last month.

KGU is carrying programming from SportsMap Radio and all play-by-play for
Hawaii Pacific University.

KGU becomes the fourth Sports station in Honolulu joining iHeartMedias Fox
Sports 990 KIKI and Blow Up Inc.s duo of ESPN Honolulu 1420 KKEA/92.7
K224FR and CBS 1500 KHKA.

Alt 107.1 Debuts In La Crosse

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-in-la-crosse/

Magnum Media has launched Alternative Alt 107.1 W296EH La Crosse WI.

Fed via 102.7 WKBH-HD3 La Crescent MN, the signal launched on Monday
afternoon as the translator completed its move from 107.3. The translator
had been rebroadcasting CHR Mix 96.1 WXYM Tomah WI. Core artists for the
new Alt 107.1 are listed as including Twenty One Pilots, Machine Gun Kelly,
Imagine Dragons, Cage The Elephant, Billie Eilish, Foo Fighters, Red Hot
Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, blink-182, Weezer, Nirvana, Panic! At The
Disco, and AJR.

Magnum Media has added its 8th Radio format to the La Crosse Market.

Group Director of Engineering, Christopher “Doc” Tarr, reported his sign-on
at 5:27 PM.

Alternative Music “ALT 107.1” is an HD3 of WKBH-FM La Crescent-La Crosse
and is being rebroadcast on 107.1 FM W296EH from 459’ on a tower
overlooking La Crosse from right across the Mississippi River.

Soon ALT 107.1 will also heard on the free Magnum Media app, on the free
Tune-In app, Alexa using the Magnum Media Skill and on-line at
lacrossealt.com. Listeners who own an HD radio can also listen to ALT on
102.7 WKBH HD-3 which has the same regional over-the-air coverage as 102.7
FM.

ALT 107.1 featured artists include Twenty One Pilots, Machine Gun Kelly,
Imagine Dragons, Cage The Elephant, Billie Eilish, Foo Fighters, Red Hot
Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, blink-182, Weezer, Nirvana, Panic! At The
Disco, and AJR.

Reid Magnum stated, “My brother Ty and I were born in La Crosse. My wife
Chelsey got to know the college music scene over her four years at UW-La
Crosse. Adding together local listeners plus UW-L, Viterbo and WTC
students, our research indicates that for Alternative Music fans ALT 107.1
will be a hit!”

Magnum Media started from scratch in Tomah in 1991 and now operates 24
Wisconsin Radio stations and 3 TV stations including KQEG-TV 23 in La
Crosse. Magnum’s other La Crosse Market Radio stations are KICKS 106.3
WQCC, 102.7 WKBH, Mix 96.1 WXYM, 1490 The Eagle, Magic 97.9, Classic Rock
94.5 WTMB and BOG Country 101.3 WBOG.

G104.3 Richmond Ends Programming

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...s-programming/

SummitMedia has pulled the plug on Classic Hip Hop G104.3 W282CA
Richmond/WKHK-HD2.

The translator reverted to simulcasting its parent Country K95 WKHK late
last week. The move follows a deal between SummitMedia and Radio One that
moved the ESPN Radio affiliation and combining of the companys two Sports
brands as ESPN Richmond 106.1 W291CL/WURV-HD3 under SummitMedias operation
and Radio One launching Classic Hip Hop “The Box” on 950 WXGI/99.5 W258DC
Richmond and 1240 WTPS/102.7 W274BX Petersburg VA.

INSTANT INSIGHT: We passed through Richmond over the weekend and noted that
WKHKs programming is airing on all three of its HD subchannels. The 104.3
translators RDS was updated to note the K95 simulcast indicating this may
be more than a temporary maneuver.

Ministry Watch: Current and Former Staffers Call for Change at Orlandos WPOZ

http://ministrywatch.com/current-and...orlandos-wpoz/