Old January 31st 05, 08:43 PM
callmekilo

Default Why satellite radio sucks

I'm listening to the hard core real jazz station on XM at the moment,
and you know what it is playing: Queen Latifa. Basically, I have had
this service for like three months at home; thankfully my commute is
short, and I don't need it in the car. I am shocked at how mainstream
the channel choces a There are like six to eight channels in
country, rock, pop, rap, talk. But only three in Jazz and only one
plays real jazz and then only about half the time. The rest is Kenny G
pap or worse --like Muzak. Way heavy on vocals, too. Classical? ONE
STATION! The other two are more like light opera and pop classical. I'm
very disappointed and can only dram of the day I can get Internet radio
in the car and some real choices. Satellite may be better than
broadcast, but it still sucks. $10 a month? Sorry, I'd rather buy a new
CD each month.

Old February 4th 05, 07:04 AM

I read you wall-to-wall and tree-top tall. It's going to take a while
to wean sat-rad programmers away from the broadcast-radio formulas
which have become cast in stone over the years. I'm fortunate that my
travels take me within range of listenable if not good college or
community radio stations, including the venerable WFMU (www.wfmu.org).

Old February 4th 05, 08:05 PM
Robert J Carpenter

wrote in message
I'm fortunate that my
travels take me within range of listenable if not good college or
community radio stations, including the venerable WFMU

(www.wfmu.org).

Yes, you are fortunate. Around my area the non-coms are either
multiple NPRs duplicating the same programs aiming for maximum
ratings/income, religious stations, or a very political station. We
are about to lose the last partly-classical non-com within 25 miles of
me. That will leave us with only a (very) commerical classical
station "... exerpts from the third movement of ..." in order to have
room for the drive-time spot load.

I'm very happy with my XM channels and paying for Sirius to hire Stern
would be a big negative to me.

Old February 6th 05, 05:44 PM
callmekilo

Yes, in much of the country, XM is better than regular car radio. But
it is still pretty bland and mainstream, 95 percent of the time. I've
ditched satellite in favor of INternet radio piped into my stereo. I
would use satellite on in a car in a blue state and most red ones too,
for that matter.

Old February 6th 05, 05:44 PM
callmekilo

Agreed. I liked FMU when I lived up there. I also worked at WRTI in
Philly 25 years ago. Now that was real jazz.