Old February 20th 05, 04:21 AM

Default Sirius Radio -- A Question or Two.

My wife is looking at getting a Sirius Radio to listen to Howard Stern
in the car and at work.

1) Does Sirius have a portable, Walkman like unit (not just one you
can move from the car to the home).

2) How good is the reception inside an office building?

3) What's a good brand or a good place to search for reviews?

Thanks,

The Crutnacker.

Please visit www.crutnacker.com

Old February 20th 05, 07:21 PM

1) Does Sirius have a portable, Walkman like unit (not just one
you
can move from the car to the home).

No--perhaps they will before Stern actually gets there at year end.
More likely, it will be into 2006 a bit.

2) How good is the reception inside an office building?

Sirius has some significant problems with receptions inside a
structure. XM is really much better in such an environment, but if you
don't have a clear view to the sky from within a metal structure it is
a longshot. The best thing to do is to buy one and try it. If you
can't get the preview channel, you won't get the service after
activation.

3) What's a good brand or a good place to search for reviews?

If I were buying a Sirius radio right now (but I wouldn't be) I would
be looking at the Sportster, I think.

Now might be a good time to get her to consider Opie & Anthony; they're
already at XM and they can tell fart jokes at least as well as Stern
can.

Old February 20th 05, 07:21 PM
Bob Haberkost

wrote in message ...
| My wife is looking at getting a Sirius Radio to listen to Howard Stern
| in the car and at work.

| 1) Does Sirius have a portable, Walkman like unit (not just one you
| can move from the car to the home).

| 2) How good is the reception inside an office building?

| 3) What's a good brand or a good place to search for reviews?

| Thanks,

| The Crutnacker.

Your first concern has to be that Stern's not due to be on Sirius for another
10-plus months, yet.

By then, though, Sirius may have a small, portable unit, although the antenna
will remain an issue, since it needs to be out in the open, near a window or
such, facing the area of sky over the north-central U-S (like Minnesota, North
Dakota, or Manitoba). Inside a building with glass won't work all that well,
unless you happen to be in a city where there's repeaters (which may be a good
bet, if you live in a large city, or if Sirius has traffic reports for it).

I have a Kenwood in-dash model (the head-end, though, is in the trunk) and I
like it. I'm not all that familiar with the "portable" units, though. Pop over
to a Best Buy or Radio Shack, though, and take a listen. The best review is the
one you do.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-