Old February 25th 05, 05:32 AM
Mike Terry

Default Amateur Radio In 2050

February 16, 2005

Hams have historically been tinkers. We have developed many of the
communication technologies seen in use today.
While many think of amateur radio as a hobby that involves people who tinker
with tubes, oscillator coils and transformers; I am left wondering what will
happen in the next 40 - 50 years for Amateur Radio.

Will it be "radio" as we know it today or will we evolve into a new
communications evolution?

So what may be in the future for ham radio?

For example, will tomorrow's hams communicate long distances by bouncing
modulated light waves from the sun using large dish reflectors into the deep
fringes of space?

Will we find a way to learn to harness the light and gigawatt power of the
sun to achieve this powerful communication network in the future if it
should even exist?

Perhaps we may use a form of earth vibration modulation technology using
Mother Nature as a new communication medium.

Or, we might find a way to communicate using atoms as the vehicle for
communications in the future.

Will we be able to use atoms to send signals by compressing packets somehow
into these atoms and then sending them over long distances along a narrow
beam of light?

Who knows?

As we evolve into the future of Amateur Radio what do you think we will
invent? Will the ARRL have new interplanetary DX entities? How do you
envision the typical Radio Amateur in 2050?

73
Charles -- KC8VWM

http://www.eham.net/articles/10250

Old February 26th 05, 01:23 AM
Scott Dorsey

Mike Terry wrote:

As we evolve into the future of Amateur Radio what do you think we will
invent? Will the ARRL have new interplanetary DX entities? How do you
envision the typical Radio Amateur in 2050?

For one thing, spread spectrum methods are going to totally change the way
we think about frequency allocations, and some bands are probably going to
have to be set aside for spread spectrum use.

But by 2050, I expect that the main issue for amateur radio will be whether
code will be required for licenses or not....
--scott

Old February 26th 05, 01:23 AM
Uno

Fewer people will communicate on ham on Earth. However, you can communicate
with UFO in space. We will find life on other planets or stars to talk with.

Old February 28th 05, 02:25 AM
clifto

Scott Dorsey wrote:
But by 2050, I expect that the main issue for amateur radio will be whether
code will be required for licenses or not....

Shyeeizzit. By 2010 they'll remove the requirement to supply licensee's
first and last name, saying it's too difficult to remember all that and
it has no bearing on one's ability to work a PTT switch.

Old February 28th 05, 02:25 AM
CW

Do those tinkers have bells?

Old March 1st 05, 05:16 AM
Conan Ford

"Uno" wrote in :

Fewer people will communicate on ham on Earth. However, you can
communicate with UFO in space. We will find life on other planets or
stars to talk with.

Unfortunately, the round trip time will be measured in years at least. Try
having a conversation like that!

Old March 2nd 05, 11:36 PM

"As we evolve into the future of Amateur Radio what do you think we
will
invent? Will the ARRL have new interplanetary DX entities? How do you
envision the typical Radio Amateur in 2050?"

Hams were at one time known for their ability to tinker and put
together a radio literally from a box of parts. New equipment has
become so sophisticated and controlled by IC's that there are few
opportunities for the basement tinkerers to really build something from
scratch these days. By 2050 I suspect the opportunity will have
completely gone. There will be plenty of opportunities foe EE's and
others with similar training to design and build communications
equipment in the lab however.

I'm not sure there will be a need for a licensed radio amateur in the
year 2050. The hobby is all about communicating with others over
distances from 100 to 5000 miles away. Although the telephone
certainly improved access, amateur radio gave many access to people
around the globe. The world of communications has changed since the
1950's and there are numerous ways to communicate over great distances
that do not require a license. The internet, email, VOIP, cell phones,
satellite radio are but a few of the newer technologies that do
essentially the same thing that amateur radio does. Provide access to
people and information about the world.

Safety around lethal voltages was at one time a very good reason for
licensing radio operators, and it still is. Unfortunately for the
hobby I think that by the year 2050 most people will have figured out
that they don't need potentially lethal equipment and the requisite
license to communicate with people and otherwise get information about
the world. There will be too many other competing options that require
no license.

And the ARRL? Well, it continues to function very well as the
gatekeeper for this hobby. It seems to be most interested in requiring
outdated tests for radio licenses and otherwise holding on to a static
image of the radio hobbyist. It's unfortunate that the ARRL sees it's
mission as one of keeping the unkempt hordes on the far side of the
gate. It should instead be looking at new ways to entice younger
members into a hobby that needs to be opened up.

Old March 4th 05, 06:02 AM
CW

I could never understand that attitude. It is true that the state of the art
is such that building something as sophisticated as commercial gear is
pretty much out of reach of most amateurs, low tech gear is easier than ever
to build. Station accessories, qrp gear, ect are much simplified by ICs.
Oscillators, amplifiers, regulators, ect are all available in IC form. Just
assemble the blocks. In any case, if one wants to do it completely from
scratch, the components are still readily available.

Old March 4th 05, 10:30 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , CW wrote:
I could never understand that attitude. It is true that the state of the art
is such that building something as sophisticated as commercial gear is
pretty much out of reach of most amateurs, low tech gear is easier than ever
to build. Station accessories, qrp gear, ect are much simplified by ICs.
Oscillators, amplifiers, regulators, ect are all available in IC form. Just
assemble the blocks. In any case, if one wants to do it completely from
scratch, the components are still readily available.

Who needs that stuff? You can use generic DSP boxes to build modulators
and demodulators. In fact, you can build a complete IF strip with a
combination of software and an inexpensive DSP. Combine that with a front
end of your choice and you have a pretty swanky receiver. Use the same DSP
along with an upconverter stage and an RF amp and you now have a transmitter
too.

Old VCRs and cellphones are an absolute goldmine of nifty RF parts!
--scott

Old March 30th 05, 07:46 AM
-XC-

Will it be "radio" as we know it today or will we evolve into a new
communications evolution?

No.

So what may be in the future for ham radio?

All the Japanese tranceivers will be replaced by Chinese tranceivers.

For example, will tomorrow's hams communicate long distances by bouncing
modulated light waves from the sun using large dish reflectors into the

deep
fringes of space?

No.

Will we find a way to learn to harness the light and gigawatt power of the
sun to achieve this powerful communication network in the future if it
should even exist?

No.

Perhaps we may use a form of earth vibration modulation technology using
Mother Nature as a new communication medium.

Tesla's wet dream, totally impractical.

Or, we might find a way to communicate using atoms as the vehicle for
communications in the future.

Will we be able to use atoms to send signals by compressing packets

somehow
into these atoms and then sending them over long distances along a narrow
beam of light?

That's how Starfleet communicates.

Who knows?

As we evolve into the future of Amateur Radio what do you think we will
invent? Will the ARRL have new interplanetary DX entities? How do you
envision the typical Radio Amateur in 2050?

They'll have an award for Worked all BPL counties.

XC

shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1415 ­ September 24, 2004 Radionews Broadcasting 0 September 26th 04 07:09 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1400 ­ June 11, 2004 Radionews CB 0 June 16th 04 08:36 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1400 ­ June 11, 2004 Radionews General 0 June 16th 04 08:35 PM