Old February 26th 05, 02:23 AM
Mike Terry

Default "The End of Radio"

Wired magazine has dedicated their March issue to what they call "The End of
Radio" -- a series of articles on digital radio, podcasting, and satellite
radio.

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/022405/index.asp

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/stern.html

Old February 28th 05, 03:25 AM
Fredrick Garvin

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:23:41 +0000, Mike Terry expelled the following:

Wired magazine has dedicated their March issue to what they call "The End
of Radio" -- a series of articles on digital radio, podcasting, and
satellite radio.

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/022405/index.asp

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/stern.html

Chicken little reporting at it's finest I'll bet...

Old February 28th 05, 03:25 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the links...

$10 / month .. let's see if it lasts..

Old February 28th 05, 03:25 AM
Michael

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Wired magazine has dedicated their March issue to what they call "The End
of
Radio" -- a series of articles on digital radio, podcasting, and satellite
radio.

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/022405/index.asp

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/stern.html

I was anticipating that exact sentiment to be expressed here. If and when
it becomes economically prohibitive for powerhouse networks to broadcast
over the airwaves due to all the lord high advertising revenue going
satellite, it will only open the way WIDE OPEN for a group of "rebels" to
make use of good old fashioned radio. As a matter of fact, if you have just
five cents worth of socio-psychology, you'd understand full well that there
would be a huge group of people that would turn from the main stream and
tune into the new age "underground" culture that uses good old fashioned
radio waves to bring their message, music, media etc free of the oppressive
commercial laden satellite jerk-offs.

Bank on it.... If and when satellite does away with radio, radio will become
free, and unencumbered by mass-media money grubbing pigs, and thus, attract
the masses again until it becomes commercialized again.

In short... Radio wont die... Just evolve... At the very worst, it will
indeed even become way more interesting then it is now.

Michael

Old March 1st 05, 06:16 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Michael wrote:

[...]

My view on Stern and his type going to satellite is: Good-bye, why
are you still here? Maybe all of talk radio will follow as well. I live
near Ocala Fl and there is no decent radio around here. After hurricanes
Frances and especially Jeanne the stations were off the air. No local
news, hardwired telephone service was spotty and the cell system was
almost useless. What did we get when the stations started coming back
on? Silly kids yaking all night long thinking they are funny and bad
reports of where to find ice or water. The next station that came on
mentioned the hurricane and went back to Rush Limbagh. The last thing
people need when they have no power, little food or water is boring
syndicated talk radio. If I was working there I would have pushed to
get as much accurate information as I could to the people who needed
it. What good would Satellite radio be during a disaster? Let them
have the rubbish they deserve. Even though my favorite AM radio station
is on Sirius, I can't, and won't spend a monthly fee like that for one
radio station. FOr the same price I can get broadband internet instead
of dialup and listen to a stream while stuck at home all the time.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old March 1st 05, 06:16 AM
Kimba W. Lion

"Michael" wrote:

Bank on it.... If and when satellite does away with radio, radio will become
free, and unencumbered by mass-media money grubbing pigs, and thus, attract
the masses again until it becomes commercialized again.

I wish I could be optimistic enough to bank on it. I'd like to see it
happen, too. But every industry is ruined by people who have no real
interest in the job at hand, and I don't see any precedent for a
turnaround.

Old March 1st 05, 06:16 AM
Smokey

Yeh. yeh, yeh...
and by the late 1900s my fifth grade teacher told us we'd all be riding
around in air suspension cars. Yawn. This rally 'round the "new
technologies" is crap. Few of these things work as well as we are told they
do on paper. And those who are most enthused are those who stand to gain
financially. Period.
We're all fools to gobble up this gadgetry that rarely works as well as it
is touted. It is nothing more than a planned cycle to keep us buying. Take a
look at your local thrift store and see what you paid $400 for only ten
years ago that is now "obsolete." Yup, we're damned gullible idiots. And
those in the "new technologies" business are laughing their asses off at us.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:05 AM

So the sky is falling (again) on SW/MW radio.

I say "Let it Fall!" It uses up too much valuable bandwidth!

Steve

Old March 2nd 05, 01:05 AM
Greg

From: "Michael A. Terrell"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 1 Mar 2005 05:16:13 GMT
Subject: "The End of Radio"

(snip)

[...]

Michael - Can you pick up WFLA, Orlando, on 540? I found that station
pretty useful during the hurricanes except, of course, for local info. I
live in Lakeland and can pick them up even in the daytime. WFLA 970 in
Tampa is stronger here and they had decent storm-related info too. But none
of the powerhouse stations are in a position to serve the Ocala area with
local news. One source you could check out is the local ham emerg. net on
VHF. Their traffic usually includes info on supplies being delivered to aid
stations as well as general storm and survival-related info.

BTW, how much do you pay for broadband internet? I pay $40/month for Road
Runner. I believe XM radio is "only" $10.95/month. I am tempted to try it
since I am in my car a good portion of my work day and there is zero on AM
radio that interests me. FM is almost as bad.

Regards,

Greg

Old March 2nd 05, 04:27 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Greg wrote:

Michael - Can you pick up WFLA, Orlando, on 540? I found that station
pretty useful during the hurricanes except, of course, for local info. I
live in Lakeland and can pick them up even in the daytime. WFLA 970 in
Tampa is stronger here and they had decent storm-related info too. But none
of the powerhouse stations are in a position to serve the Ocala area with
local news. One source you could check out is the local ham emerg. net on
VHF. Their traffic usually includes info on supplies being delivered to aid
stations as well as general storm and survival-related info.

I can pick up both of them, but neither are very clear. The only two
meter receiver I have at the moment needs a regulated 12 VDC power
supply and was out in my shop where I couldn't get to it.

BTW, how much do you pay for broadband internet? I pay $40/month for Road
Runner. I believe XM radio is "only" $10.95/month. I am tempted to try it
since I am in my car a good portion of my work day and there is zero on AM
radio that interests me. FM is almost as bad.

Regards,

Greg

Earthlink is $45 a month, the same as RR or AOL broadband here in
Belleview. I don't drive much anymore, I have Carpal Tunnel in both
hands and nerve damage so a drive across town can be painful. I am now
on full disability because I can't work any set schedule and it drives
me crazy. I was working at Microdyne as a test and engineering tech
when I had to stop working a few years ago. I'll bet there is still
some equipment in use in stations you've seen that was built in Ocala,
or their AFC microwave antennas.

I wanted to fix up a nice shop here at home to enjoy my retirement by
collecting and restoring oddball electronics. My benches are still
covered with plastic since the hurricanes. I was out there today and
one of my shelves has snapped due to water damage.

I agree with nothing good on the local radio stations. The only
station I would listen to on Satellite is WSM, and its on Sirius. Since
I'm at home 90 percent of the time I figured it was cheaper to spend the
money on a better internet feed.

I have a friend who is still an active contract engineer in the area
and get the horror stories when he has time to stop by the house. If
you're anywhere close to Ocala email me sometime.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida