Old March 12th 05, 05:49 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Default Hash up and down 10 kHz?

Ron Hardin wrote:
There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

Its daytime contours include Columbus on the map, too.

If I (directionally) deep-null away the hash, it also nulls away WTPG, so WTPG
is extremely likely to be the source.

Deep nulls are very very narrow, so odds are correspondingly high.

Sounds like IBOC ("HD Radio"). See the spectrum plot on
http://www.wor710.com/Engineering/ib...n_pictures.htm .

It should go away at 6pm or sunset, whichever is later.

It's my understanding that WTPG is in fact running IBOC.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old March 12th 05, 05:49 PM
Steve Sobol

Ron Hardin wrote:
There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

Pedant alert:

Calling WHIZ 1240 Zanesville "Columbus's finest radio station" is much like, in
my neck of the woods, calling KIXW 960 "Los Angeles's finest radio station."

KIXW is a Victorville station, 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles as the crow flies.

IIRC, Zanesville is roughly the same distance east of Columbus.

This concludes your Pedant alert for Thursday, March 10th.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Old March 12th 05, 10:53 PM
Ron Hardin

Steve Sobol wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:
There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

Pedant alert:

Calling WHIZ 1240 Zanesville "Columbus's finest radio station" is much like, in
my neck of the woods, calling KIXW 960 "Los Angeles's finest radio station."

KIXW is a Victorville station, 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles as the crow flies.

IIRC, Zanesville is roughly the same distance east of Columbus.

This concludes your Pedant alert for Thursday, March 10th.

It puts in a good signal, and it has about the only music I can stand to listen to
for long in the background; and gives you Limbaugh an hour before the wretched
WTVN 610 with its eternal echo chamber on every show.

Perhaps only a good signal if you live in the direction of Zanesville from Columbus,
I don't know. It's wiped out by WTPG now, whatever else it is. I wonder why
WHIZ puts up withbeing obliterated by Clear Channel; it's their frequency, after all.

Unless you have the world's best MW antenna array of course. I can null anybody,
and sometimes even two anybodies at once, with stable signals (eg. daytime).

--
Ron Hardin

Old March 12th 05, 10:53 PM
Mike Ward

On 12 Mar 2005 16:49:35 GMT, Steve Sobol wrote:

Calling WHIZ 1240 Zanesville "Columbus's finest radio station" is much like, in
my neck of the woods, calling KIXW 960 "Los Angeles's finest radio station."

For the OP, calling a distant station an area's "finest" radio station
means it carries the Don Imus show.

Old March 12th 05, 10:53 PM
David Eduardo

"Steve Sobol" wrote in message
Ron Hardin wrote:
There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

Pedant alert:

Calling WHIZ 1240 Zanesville "Columbus's finest radio station" is much
like, in
my neck of the woods, calling KIXW 960 "Los Angeles's finest radio
station."

KIXW is a Victorville station, 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles as the
crow flies.

IIRC, Zanesville is roughly the same distance east of Columbus.

This concludes your Pedant alert for Thursday, March 10th.

We are open 24/7. Pedants are always welcome, as long as they conform to the
dress code.

(It is reaching to call a 60-mile distant Class 4 a Columbus station,
especially since there is a 1230 in Columbus...)

Old March 15th 05, 07:33 AM
Steve Sobol

Ron Hardin wrote:

Perhaps only a good signal if you live in the direction of Zanesville from Columbus,
I don't know. It's wiped out by WTPG now, whatever else it is. I wonder why
WHIZ puts up withbeing obliterated by Clear Channel; it's their frequency, after all.

Maybe they're strong enough in the Zanesville area and don't care how they
sound in Columbus.

Old March 16th 05, 05:12 AM
Art Clemons

Ron Hardin wrote:

There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

Its daytime contours include Columbus on the map, too.

If I (directionally) deep-null away the hash, it also nulls away WTPG,
so WTPG is extremely likely to be the source.

Deep nulls are very very narrow, so odds are correspondingly high.

You likely should check if WTPG is running IBOC if it is, that's a
likely explanation of your problem. Welcome to the new world of
digital AM that makes listening to other signals just about impossible.

Old March 16th 05, 05:12 AM
Ron Hardin

Steve Sobol wrote:

Ron Hardin wrote:

Perhaps only a good signal if you live in the direction of Zanesville from Columbus,
I don't know. It's wiped out by WTPG now, whatever else it is. I wonder why
WHIZ puts up withbeing obliterated by Clear Channel; it's their frequency, after all.

Maybe they're strong enough in the Zanesville area and don't care how they
sound in Columbus.

It's more likely that they don't know about it. Even if they're targeting only the city
limits of Zanesville, it reduces the commercial value of the station (say they want to
sell it someday) because it also reaches a vast market, or used to, between Columbus and
Zanesville; a market that now can't hear them at all.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 16th 05, 05:12 AM
Bob Haberkost

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
| Steve Sobol wrote:

| Ron Hardin wrote:
| There's some enormous hash signal 10 kHz above and below WTPG 1230
| Columbus (aka. WCOL 1230 and WFII 1230) today, wiping out WHIZ 1240
| Zanesville, which is Columbus's finest radio station.

| Calling WHIZ 1240 Zanesville "Columbus's finest radio station" is much like,
in
| my neck of the woods, calling KIXW 960 "Los Angeles's finest radio station."

| KIXW is a Victorville station, 65 miles northeast of Los Angeles as the crow
flies.

| IIRC, Zanesville is roughly the same distance east of Columbus.

| This concludes your Pedant alert for Thursday, March 10th.

| It puts in a good signal, and it has about the only music I can stand to
listen to
| for long in the background; and gives you Limbaugh an hour before the wretched
| WTVN 610 with its eternal echo chamber on every show.

And this criteria elicits your assessment that it's good?!??
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-