RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   High Definition (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/66821-high-definition.html)

[email protected] March 15th 05 06:34 AM

High Definition

At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Neil Wagner March 16th 05 04:12 AM

wrote:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.
So what I need to know now is
Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?
and how much do they cost?

See
http://www.ibiquity.com/hdradio/
_

Roderick Stewart March 16th 05 04:12 AM

In article , wrote:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

:-) They probably cost more, sound worse, consume so much battery power
that they have to be provided with a separate mains power supply (which
isn't shown in the brochure of course), and will be enthusiastically
advertised for at least two years before any of them actually appear in the
shops, by which time you'll have forgotten why you were interested and
spent your money on something much more worthwhile It won't be available as
an option in the new car you're thinking of buying, and half the programmes
will be transmitted in mono.

Rod.

Bill Vermillion March 16th 05 04:12 AM

In article , wrote:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is Does anyone know where I can buy a
high-definition radio? and how much do they cost?

Typical radio promotion gimick.

Here is an excerpt from Chuck Blore's future book showing how
things were done 'back then'
-----------------------
When High Fidelity was a big deal in records,
Gordon's stations were all Hi-Fi Radio."

"What made them Hi-Fi. Was that just a name?"

"Oh no. He always made it seem very special. And very real. When we
began promoting "Hi-Fi is coming to radio" all the stations were told
to back off the higher frequencies of the actual signal a little bit
each day for two weeks.

Without anyone really noticing, at least that was the theory, the
actual stations signal gradually became kind of dull, and duller. But
then, we had the big announcement ... `Ladies and Gentlemen. Welcome a
new millenia in radio broadcasting. This is K E L P HI-FI RADIO' and
with that we slapped all those frequency adjustments back to normal
and, Oh God! What a difference."

-------------------------

Don't believe 50% of what you hear on radio promos, the ignore the
remainder

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Ronald Cole March 16th 05 04:12 AM

writes:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Only car radios are out at the moment. JVC KD-SHX900 and Panasonic
CQ-CB9900U are just two that I know of off the top of my head. Boston
Acoustics will release the Receiver Radio HD in May, or so they say.
I expect that there will be a bunch of HD Radio receivers out by the
end of the year.

Ronald Cole Phone: (760) 499-9142
President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

Korbin Dallas March 16th 05 04:12 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:34:03 +0000, dvdguy2 wrote:

At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Find your local Kenwood Car audio dealer, Kenwood has 9 models that
support the HD Tuner module.

or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2VARpjD...g=186750&avf=Y

News Admin March 16th 05 04:12 AM

wrote:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio
station "is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio
frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Is this the same as "IBOC" digital radio ? AIUI this is the US digital
radio system, where radio stations broadcast a digital carrier close to
their analogue one. It is VERY different to the European DAB radio system
which is usually implemented in a different frequency band. (In the UK the
DAB system occupies Band III, whereas VHF FM occupies Band II)

Matthew L. Martin March 16th 05 04:12 AM

wrote:
At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

It's only the voices in your head. You've taken your tin foil hat off
again, haven't you.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

jayembee March 17th 05 06:01 AM

"Biz" wrote:

wrote:

At least one of my local fm radio stations says that their radio station
"is now broadcasing in high-definition" on their radio frequency.

So what I need to know now is

Does anyone know where I can buy a high-definition radio?

and how much do they cost?

Call letters of the station please?

He probably doesn't remember, but dollars to donuts he has a
recording of it on cassette tape somewhere...

-- jayembee