Old March 22nd 05, 11:29 PM
Mike Terry

Default "BPL Inherently Flawed"

BPL Inherently Flawed, League CEO Tells Broadband Alternatives Conference

Newington, CT, Mar 22, 2005--ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner,
K1ZZ, told a New York City conference on "Alternative Broadband Platforms"
March 18 that broadband over power line (BPL) has "an inherent technical
flaw"--interference potential--that cannot be completely nor inexpensively
eliminated. He also told the gathering that no BPL system operator can
guarantee that its system will always work or that it will be allowed to
operate. Sumner said the problem is simple: Power lines were not designed to
carry broadband signals, so they can't do it very well...

(More on this at http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/03/22/104/?nc=1 )

Old March 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
| BPL Inherently Flawed, League CEO Tells Broadband Alternatives Conference

| Newington, CT, Mar 22, 2005--ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner,
| K1ZZ, told a New York City conference on "Alternative Broadband Platforms"
| March 18 that broadband over power line (BPL) has "an inherent technical
| flaw"--interference potential--that cannot be completely nor inexpensively
| eliminated. He also told the gathering that no BPL system operator can
| guarantee that its system will always work or that it will be allowed to
| operate. Sumner said the problem is simple: Power lines were not designed to
| carry broadband signals, so they can't do it very well...

| (More on this at http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/03/22/104/?nc=1 )

That's been my take on this technology for over 7 years. But no one listens to
me....
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-