RadioBanter

-   Broadcasting (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/)
-   -   FCC BUST IN TEXAS (https://www.radiobanter.com/broadcasting/70960-fcc-bust-texas.html)

[email protected] May 14th 05 07:26 PM

FCC BUST IN TEXAS

Hey Folks,
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC. Here a list of the stuff that was hauled off:

NRG PLL-PRO 3 20W TRANSMITTER
NRG 220 WATT RF LINEAR AMPLIFIER
NRG PRO III STEREO CODER
NRG PRO III STEREO LIMITER COMPRESSOR
DAIWA CN-101L SWR+POWER METER
COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA
50 FEET OF LMR 400 COAX
KENWOOD R-1000 SW RECEIVER (my fathers old short-wave radio?)

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

Bill Blomgren May 14th 05 10:44 PM

On 14 May 2005 18:26:14 GMT, wrote:

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

The customs folk may be telling them, as all stuff coming into the country
gets customs declarations. Don't worry about having lost a few bucks worth of
equipment. The second time there will probably be nice healthy fines and
possible court action that people involved will be invited to participate in.

Save up 5 or 6 figures for your lawyer costs. You'll need them.

Scott Dorsey May 16th 05 07:19 AM

In article , wrote:
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC. Here a list of the stuff that was hauled off:

NRG PLL-PRO 3 20W TRANSMITTER
NRG 220 WATT RF LINEAR AMPLIFIER
NRG PRO III STEREO CODER
NRG PRO III STEREO LIMITER COMPRESSOR
DAIWA CN-101L SWR+POWER METER
COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA
50 FEET OF LMR 400 COAX
KENWOOD R-1000 SW RECEIVER (my fathers old short-wave radio?)

That stuff isn't type-accepted. You should not be using it on the air.

The really weird part is that we WERE NOT transmitting at the time of
the raid. One of the agents tolds us that they traced us through a
purchase order from Broadcast-Warehouse! It's true that we bought a
150w amp from broadcastwarehouse.com a few weeks ago. How did the FCC
know about that?

The same way that if you bought an amp from HRO and didn't submit the
license along with it.

Anyways, we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle
interests of the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

I'm not sure what the MEGA-MACHINE is, but if you're running non-type-accepted
gear that isn't custom-made, you're going to get a citation. It's good to
see that FCC at least enforcing _some_ technical standards these days, since
it's been a long time since they've paid much attention. Bring back annual
proof of performance measurements and hourly logs, that's what I'd suggest...
--scott

Sid Schweiger May 16th 05 07:19 AM

we will rebuild the station and continue to fight the globle interests of
the MEGA-MACHINE.

DEATH TO THE MEGA-MACHINE!

Brilliant, just brilliant. Advertise to the world that you intend to break
the law yet again. Why don't you just call the FCC and tell them? Oh,
sorry...YOU ALREADY DID!

Steve Sobol May 16th 05 07:19 AM

wrote:

Hey Folks,
Kinda down at the moment, our college radio station got busted by the
FCC.

I don't want to start a flame war, but you're making it very difficult to
resist telling you what I really think about your complaints.

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules, and since
you broke them and you obviously *knew* you were breaking them (you are, by
your own admission, a pirate), you really don't have any justification to
complain about the FCC seizing your equipment.

I understand and respect the fact that you may not agree with the current
rules. That's fine with me. And I don't think anyone here would claim that you
don't have a right to your opinion. But when you break the rules, even in the
name of civil disobedience, you risk getting punished, and that's obviously
what happened.

--
JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA -
http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

fredtv May 17th 05 07:55 PM

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

Scott Dorsey May 18th 05 07:01 PM

In article , fredtv wrote:
Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

No. Crystal control is just as accurate as PLL control. And the FCC frankly
doesn't care _how_ you control frequency, just as long as it stays within
the specified limits.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

That's what the whole LPFM licensing is about, and it's what the old Class D
allocation used to be about. The problem is that the bands are too crowded
for many of the things to be given out. There just aren't a lot of places
to shoehorn low power stations today because there are already too many
stations on the bands.

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

Charlie May 19th 05 04:12 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , fredtv wrote:

Right or wrong, the broadcast regulations *are* the official rules

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

No. Crystal control is just as accurate as PLL control. And the FCC frankly
doesn't care _how_ you control frequency, just as long as it stays within
the specified limits.

Scott, the other item that's being missed by these people who believe
that they can use non type accepted equipment is the strenuous off
frequency emissions standards.

I think the FCC should change the rules to allow higher power levels
depending on the type of equipment you're using.

Low power stations can provide a valuable service and should be allowed to
be part of the media mix.

That's what the whole LPFM licensing is about, and it's what the old Class D
allocation used to be about. The problem is that the bands are too crowded
for many of the things to be given out. There just aren't a lot of places
to shoehorn low power stations today because there are already too many
stations on the bands.

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

Charlie
--
To respond by Email remove never- from address

Korbin Dallas May 19th 05 04:13 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:01:23 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.
--scott

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Scott Dorsey May 19th 05 05:25 PM

Korbin Dallas wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:01:23 +0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Now, if I ran the FCC, I'd be revoking licenses right and left for "failure
to provide a public service and contribute to the public good," but I do
not.

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

I agree, but the chances of my ever running the FCC are about as good
as Clear Channel putting a classical station on the air.

Oh yes, and annual proof of performance measurements. I'd bring them back.
--scott

Rich Wood May 19th 05 05:25 PM

On 19 May 2005 03:13:03 GMT, Korbin Dallas
wrote:

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

If they ran them at 6pm would you listen to them?

Rich

Sid Schweiger May 23rd 05 12:25 AM

These rules were thought up before PLL transmitters.
Analog mini transmitters can be all over the dial. The new digital ones can
lock dead on.

Wrong. Mistuned, overdriven or modified PLL transmitters can be all over
the dial too. "Digital" does NOT automatically mean "better."

Bob Haberkost May 23rd 05 12:25 AM

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
| On 19 May 2005 03:13:03 GMT, Korbin Dallas
| wrote:

| I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
| any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on
| Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

| If they ran them at 6pm would you listen to them?

If they actually had some meaning to my life, yes. But you and I both know
that, as these programs aren't exactly profit-centers, they get some pretty
scant funding which limits the ability for them to actually attain
relevancy.

Good to hear from you, Rich!
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

[email protected] May 23rd 05 12:25 AM

On 2005-05-19 said:
I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't
do any public service. Running recorded Public service programs
at 4 am on a Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

If they ran them at 6pm would you listen to them?

IF they were well presented I probably would. Usually our NPR
affiliate here has switched back to music from news. THese days for
lack of anything better on the dial I spin the dial one notch up the
band and tune in wwoz here in NEw Orleans if I'm traveling to work or
about the city. AT home I only listen to npr news when I get up in
the mornings and occasionally wwoz. OTherwise I'm listening to
whatever audio is relevant to the project I'm producing or my own
music collection which is far more varied than anything I can get on
commercial radio.
HOwever I can say that for the most part well presented public service
programming at 6:00 P.M. would be something I'd make an effort to tune
in.

I'm like the poster you quoted. People such as Mr. DOrsey would do a
much better job of running an agency such as the FCC. True public
service would be more than just something that had to receive some lip
service to keep one's broadcasting license.

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania
Replace 0junk4me with elspider for real email

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel, when it's not, isn't it?

Korbin Dallas May 23rd 05 12:25 AM

wrote:

I wish you were running the FCC, stations these days simply don't do
any public service. Running recorded Public service programs at 4 am on a
Sunday morning won't cut it in my book.

If they ran them at 6pm would you listen to them?

Rich

No, I did not run those lousy programs. Public service should be part of
what the station does every day. The typical Public service programs
hidden away on Sunday morning do the public no good. The station might
was well be playing music.

fredtv May 24th 05 08:20 AM

Public service should be part of
what the station does every day. The typical Public service programs
hidden away on Sunday morning do the public no good.

Remember when top 40 stations had talented and clever news people who
actually crafted listenable newscasts? They were fun on slow news days and
credible when the public need arose. Public service was also part of the
format-- not a block of shows hidden on the schedule.

Fred Cantu
Austin, TX

Bill Blomgren May 24th 05 03:28 PM

On 24 May 2005 07:20:50 GMT, "fredtv" wrote:

Remember when top 40 stations had talented and clever news people who
actually crafted listenable newscasts? They were fun on slow news days and
credible when the public need arose. Public service was also part of the
format-- not a block of shows hidden on the schedule.

Fred Cantu
Austin, TX

In the Tampa area, during the 50's, 60's and70's.. News was frequently an
afterthought. Rip and Read was the norm. (And most of the news budget went
for the TTY, telco, and service, rather than the humans doing the actual
reading. A -few- stations had a real news team, but it -all- depended on how
profitable they were. As profitability suffered, news was the first to go.

Public Service? The stations that were on 24x7 simply put their "What's
happening in the schools" programs on at 3 am. They put on transcriptions
supplied by the government ("Forests today!", "Army Recruiting" and so on) and
occasionally programs provided by the teacher's unions. Did they ever identify
the propaganda pieces as such, or the suppliers of them? No..

They were -boring- and total wastes of time. How much did they put into
those shows? Nothing. No budget.. Just get a talking head to come into the
station one afternoon and have them talk about how great things were. Get the
Sheriff's spokesman? Good. Get the head of the school board. More boredom.

At the TV stations, the "public service" was aired either late at night, or
early on Sunday mornings. Again, the budget for those shows was very
limited... Get a news guy to sit in one chair on a empty set in the studio,
and some local politician to sit in the other set... Have 2 cameras with
static shots of the two folk, and let the tape spool. No one listened to them
at 5 am on Sundays.

The only exception to that was when the news director did a "Sky is falling"
show about energy that aired in prime time. "We will be totally out of oil by
1995!" (this was in 82 or there abouts.. ) - At the rate we are going, by
1995, there won't be any cars moving. We have to buy econoboxes that get 50
mpg if we want anything available to make plastic with." "We have to have mass
transit that runs on something other than oil so that our economy can
survive." .... Like the Tampa Bay tourist economy would survive on coal
burning airplanes carrying tourists into town?

Well, Joe is long dead.. The folk he interviewed from the Sierra Club are long
dead. (They were in their 70's then).. and the show got NO ratings at all.
But -THAT- was the limit of "public service" on the air in the 70's and 80's..

David Eduardo May 24th 05 03:28 PM

"fredtv" wrote in message
Public service should be part of
what the station does every day. The typical Public service programs
hidden away on Sunday morning do the public no good.

Remember when top 40 stations had talented and clever news people who
actually crafted listenable newscasts? They were fun on slow news days
and
credible when the public need arose. Public service was also part of the
format-- not a block of shows hidden on the schedule.

Yes, I remember that from the 50's and 60's. Every time one of the newscasts
came on, I would go to the other local Top 40 station until the news came on
on that station, when I would go back. All my friends did the same thing.

Fortunately, the US realized what places like Mexico had known all along:
the market will provide amply for news needs and specialized news and
information stations will be created naturally. Mexico has, in general, more
and better news and information stations than the US does, and none was ever
forced to do news and information programming.

[email protected] May 24th 05 08:50 PM

David Eduardo wrote:
Fortunately, the US realized what places like Mexico had known all

along:
the market will provide amply for news needs and specialized news and

information stations will be created naturally. Mexico has, in

general, more
and better news and information stations than the US does, and none

was ever
forced to do news and information programming.

Mexican stations were (are?) still forced to run that dreadful Sunday
night program, though (didn't it sound like someone was talking over a
barrel?)

David Eduardo May 25th 05 02:28 AM

wrote in message ...

David Eduardo wrote:
Fortunately, the US realized what places like Mexico had known all

along:
the market will provide amply for news needs and specialized news and

information stations will be created naturally. Mexico has, in

general, more
and better news and information stations than the US does, and none

was ever
forced to do news and information programming.

Mexican stations were (are?) still forced to run that dreadful Sunday
night program, though (didn't it sound like someone was talking over a
barrel?)

La Hora Nacional still is a must carry. However, we are talking about an
hour that typically has a 3.0 rating for persons using radio, so it is not
important.

Mexico City has more news and talk stations than NY, LA and Chicago
combined.

rangemaster May 25th 05 07:17 AM

I don't see why people go to so much trouble to broadcast illegally
when it is possible to broadcast legally & cover large areas, of course
it is only with the AM band this is possible but you can get near FM
sound quality with the right audio equipment. We have customers that
cover small cities legally with multiple transmitters.

GeorgeC May 25th 05 03:04 PM

Fred-

Doesn't sound like you're speaking of Awstin stations. Having lived here off
and on for 19 years, I can't picture any one here crafting a listenable
newscast. I listen to the 5,000 ounce chimpanzee every morning, and the
newscasts are about on par with a college radio station.

Growing up in the NY market the newscasts on WABC were good and paced well.
But that was a long time ago. When the music died in the early 80's I
stopped listening.

When I played radio in the early 70's the news was a joke. They tried to be
serious, but the main goal in the control room was still to crack the
newsguy.

George Csahanin
Awstin, TX

gbfmif May 25th 05 03:04 PM

I used to travel a lot - fortunately no longer do so - but would listen to a
news report of a current event on a given subject in Japan - then next day hear
the US version on that same subject - then next day hear the BBC or European
view - was very hard to tell we were talking about the same event - the skew was
extreme from each source concerning that same event - what was true? well - not
sure - and current extrapolation to today approach concerning US HomeLand
Security news etc etc etc in US news compared to the rest of the world view of
news - well - guess I will be investigated as a non US patriot for this post -
whatever

likable PC correct news is one thing - reality (whatever that is) is another - I
would prefer reality or at least objective facts minus the politics and skew of
political agendas

Do you have a windmill I can tilt at????? Low rates - guaranteed success -
dragons extra!