Old June 20th 05, 10:31 PM
kturnerga

Default Found groups/ Proposing Yahoo Aircheck group

Well ding dangit look what I found:
Two Yahoo aircheck groups that seem to have activity

One is AM TOP 40 RADIO and the other is classicairchecks.

Problem solved.

I will still support ReelRadio but this will be an excellent arena for
relatively free-form discussion.

Thanks
KAT

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
"kturnerga" writes:
We as aircheck collectors do not need to suffer for Uncle Ricky's
desire to further his self-aggrandizement (he apparently wants nobody
else to provide airchecks) at the expense of the overall preservation
of old music radio.

Assuming you have related the entire facts of the matter,
the "final straw" case was when he got upset when someone
used his web site to publish materials for which no authorizing
legal paperwork was given. This was presumably a clear violation
of the policy of his web site, we well as a violation of the terms
of service with his Internet provider (who could take down his
site off the net). Perhaps Uncle Ricky is justifiably concerned
(or even terrified) that he will be both shut down and on the
receiving end of very serious legal action from the owners of
the copyrighted materials that you propose to reproduce.

I propose the establishment of a Yahoo group dealing in airchecks
and old music radio (eg. Top 40 radio from the Fifties to the Eighties).

I have no idea whether Yahoo will ultimately allow you to
host these kinds of materials, but I suspect that they will
have terms and conditions forbidding it.

Anyway, I don't see why you shouldn't feel free to bring up
your own site, solicit contributed materials, and make up
your own rules. It should be possible to accomplish legally.
Maybe your site will be better than Uncle Ricky's.
Post the URL here when it's available.

As I am sure you realize, all on-air material is copyrighted
by the broadcast station (its owners/successors), as typically
indicated in the station sign-on/off announcement.
Individual elements of the broadcast compilation work, such as
the commercials and jingles are in turn copyrighted by agencies
and clients. The DJ banter is probably owned by the station,
since it was an employer/employee work for hire, unless it was
licensed as a special production of the DJ or a syndication.
Music played on the radio in the 1950s is still under copyright,
and (since I'm listening to an oldies FM station at this moment)
I am fairly certain that it's subject to licensing from ASCAP
and BMI, with additional enforcement by organizations such as
the RIAA (which has been very aggressive in Internet-based
copyright violations).

One assumes that you have good lawyers and deep pockets.
So, do let us know how that goes.