Old December 23rd 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Rich Wood

Default Satellite Radio and the FCC

On 22 Dec 2005 17:54:27 GMT, "Sally Sunshine" wrote:

I have a satellite radio that has a transmitter that plays through the
FM radio in my car, but guess what? I can also pick up the station 100+
feet away on my home stereo through the same FM channel. I assume my
neighbors can pick it up too if they channel surfed. So if I have an
R-rated show on and the kid next door hears it, how's this different
than regular FM that the FCC can enforce? Will the Christian right use
this angle to try to shut satellite radio down?

They'll try anything they can. However, the FCC isn't going to go
after the few people who are likely to listen to off color material.
They don't have deep pockets. You're the one transmitting the
offensive material, not the satellite provider.

It's much more profitable in fines to go after real radio and TV
stations. Many of the modulators for SIRIUS and XM connect directly to
the antenna inputs and don't radiate.

Rich