Old December 23rd 05, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Scott Dorsey

Default Satellite Radio and the FCC

In article , Sally Sunshine wrote:
I have a satellite radio that has a transmitter that plays through the
FM radio in my car, but guess what? I can also pick up the station 100+
feet away on my home stereo through the same FM channel. I assume my
neighbors can pick it up too if they channel surfed. So if I have an
R-rated show on and the kid next door hears it, how's this different
than regular FM that the FCC can enforce? Will the Christian right use
this angle to try to shut satellite radio down?

You have a satellite radio receiver, which is plugged into a little FM
transmitter so the signal can be picked up on your regular FM radio.
This is sort of a cheesy workaround for the fact that most car radios
have no external audio inputs.

Normally those FM transmitters are legal under FCC Part 15, as long
as they don't radiate too much signal. But if you can pick the
station up a hundred feet away on your home stereo, it's probably in
violation.

Since the FCC doesn't give a damn about Part 15 enforcement any more,
and a trip to your local Wal-Mart will show you dozens of products which
blatantly violate the Part 15 radiation requirements, I am not all that
surprised.

But the FCC could in theory come and remove the offending device from
your car if somebody complains about it. And then you'd have to get
a car radio with an input jack and plug the satellite receiver in there.
--scott