Old December 28th 05, 06:45 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Blue Cat

Default Satellite Radio and the FCC

"Sally Sunshine" wrote in message
I have a satellite radio that has a transmitter that plays through the
FM radio in my car, but guess what? I can also pick up the station 100+
feet away on my home stereo through the same FM channel. I assume my
neighbors can pick it up too if they channel surfed. So if I have an
R-rated show on and the kid next door hears it, how's this different
than regular FM that the FCC can enforce? Will the Christian right use
this angle to try to shut satellite radio down?

Apparently you have a transmitter that may violate the Part 15 specs for
unlicensed operation. The FCC won't prosecute you because you bought this
device in good faith that it was legal. The FCC won't go after the satellite
radio provider because the satellite transmission is a paid subscription
service not subject to the censorship laws. There may be action against the
equipment manufacturer for the offending low power transmitter.

Another thing. . . If the transmitter wasn't properly installed, it may be
leaking out signal beyond what is normal.