Old January 26th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Scott Dorsey

Default IBOC

Radio Guy wrote:
To my knowledge none of the major operators signed contracts to install
C-QUAM.

But all of the major operators have signed binding contracts to install HD
Radio. Heck most of the majors are investors in Ibquity.

Back then, the radio industry wasn't dominated by major operators the
way it is today. But that's a different issue.

Each month more AM stations are going HD. I personally have turned on 6 HD
stations so far. Sounds great and really helps AM sound better.

It helps your AM sound better, but it makes the adjacent channel stations
sound worse.

The thing is that IBOC is fine for daytime service, but a disaster for
skywave. And what makes AM interesting and unique is skywave. If you
treat AM as just being a low-grade local service that is cheaper than FM,
you're missing out on the whole point and you might as well just shut down
the AM band completely before everyone goes bankrupt. Because it's not
doing anyone any good.
--scott