Old July 3rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio call letters: What do they mean?

If I'm correct in my recollection, WIBG started out as a "religious"
station - with the letters standing for "I Believe in God." Later, of
course, it became Philadelphia's top rock and roll station. The 990 kHz
frequency in Philadelphia is home again to a "religious" station.

Joe

David Marston wrote:
In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
As Gerard said, most older calls didn't mean anything. Most of the
three-letter calls, and four-letter calls with A or B as the second
letter, especially. I'm pretty sure WIBG is one of these assigned in
order by the government calls.

I believe so. But you probably meant to say "third letter" like the B
in WIBG. Checking my Citizens Radio Call Book vol. 6 (1925), I found
these likely suspects:
KFAB Lincoln, NE
WABI Bangor, ME
WBAP Fort Worth, TX
WBBM Chicago
WCAO Baltimore, MD
WCAU Philadelphia, PA
WCBM Baltimore, MD
WDAF Kansas City, MO
WEAN Providence, RI
WFAA Dallas, TX
WGAL Lancaster, PA
WHAM Rochester, NY
WHAS Louisville, KY
WHBQ Memphis, TN
WJAR Providence, RI
WMAQ Chicago
WNAC Boston, MA
WOAI San Antonio, TX
WQAM Miami, FL
WSAI Cincinnati, OH
WSAR Fall River, MA
and many others that have since gone off the air.
--
................David Marston at MV