Old July 28th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Noiseblocker vs Fuel Pump Results

So my results with a Cobra 75 with just soundtracker had negligible
results versus my fuel pump noise. So I went and bought a Cobra 29 with
ANL, Noiseblocker and SoundTracker. With a base noise of S0 and S3 when
I start my truck, with ANL, Noiseblocker and ST turned on, the noise
dropped from S3 to S2. Although the volume of even voices sounds a
little muted, so the signal to noise ratio was improved a little, but
not completely.

Previously, I had blower motor noise from my AC, which went away when I
bolted an antenna mount onto my fender (When I was using the Midland
1001, Uniden 510, Cobra 75). However with the Cobra 29, the noise came
back. All the radios have used the same antenna mount and wiring
(straight to the battery, also have tried the bare metal where my
transmission shifter comes up from the floor, i'm able to use this for
a DC ground).

I tied of a wire to bare metal (confirmed it's a DC ground) and touched
all of the screws on the radio, no change. If I touched it to the
faceplate for some reason it sometimes changes the noise a little bit
sometimes, but not much. I've also touched this wire to the ground on
the antenna cable, and also tried grounding the antenna mount again. No
change.

Interesting to note that although the S meter drops with NB on, the
squelch setting seems to want to be in the same spot.

Also interesting to note, my portable shortwave radio which can do CB
frequencies, does NOT pick up the blower motor or the fan noise however
it DOES pick up the spark plug noise.

RF or not RF.!?!?!

I did check my fuel tank, and it is metal (I thought it was plastic). I
wonder if this can made to act like a faraday cage? I work in a
wireless labratory with UHF (2.4ghz, unfortunately nobody else is
really radio savvy, especially with HF), and we have rooms made out of
copper screen that is electrified ( i believe ), and no RF comes in or
out. Of course all the powerlines also need to be filtered.

Although I guess if the noise is coming out from the wires, it won't
make any difference.

I'm going to probably return this Cobra and get the Midland 1001Z again.

Old July 28th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"SparkySKO" wrote in message
ups.com...
So my results with a Cobra 75 with just soundtracker had negligible
results versus my fuel pump noise. So I went and bought a Cobra 29 with
ANL, Noiseblocker and SoundTracker. With a base noise of S0 and S3 when
I start my truck, with ANL, Noiseblocker and ST turned on, the noise
dropped from S3 to S2. Although the volume of even voices sounds a
little muted, so the signal to noise ratio was improved a little, but
not completely.

Try putting a quality inline noise filter on your fuel pump wires. The
ANL/NB are not designed to take that type of noise out of your signal. I
can't tell you about the sound tracker as I've never owned one with that
feature.

Previously, I had blower motor noise from my AC, which went away when I
bolted an antenna mount onto my fender (When I was using the Midland
1001, Uniden 510, Cobra 75). However with the Cobra 29, the noise came
back. All the radios have used the same antenna mount and wiring
(straight to the battery, also have tried the bare metal where my
transmission shifter comes up from the floor, i'm able to use this for
a DC ground).

Are you positive you have identified all systems that are causing the
interference? Something is wrong if you are getting noises from more than
one source. Ground the back of the radio to the closest place to the radio
as possible, take the wires off the battery and put the positive on the ACC
or radio circuit, and the negative to the same place as the ground on the
back. Make sure that you have the antenna mount bolted to a ground. Use a
quality inline filter for the radio. Put one on your blower motor also. What
kind of vehicle is this so I never buy one?

I tied of a wire to bare metal (confirmed it's a DC ground) and touched
all of the screws on the radio, no change. If I touched it to the
faceplate for some reason it sometimes changes the noise a little bit
sometimes, but not much. I've also touched this wire to the ground on
the antenna cable, and also tried grounding the antenna mount again. No
change.

Grounding the faceplate should have no effect.

Interesting to note that although the S meter drops with NB on, the
squelch setting seems to want to be in the same spot.

Also interesting to note, my portable shortwave radio which can do CB
frequencies, does NOT pick up the blower motor or the fan noise however
it DOES pick up the spark plug noise.

Get resistor type plugs and high suppression wires.

RF or not RF.!?!?!

It's RF interference.

I did check my fuel tank, and it is metal (I thought it was plastic). I
wonder if this can made to act like a faraday cage? I work in a
wireless labratory with UHF (2.4ghz, unfortunately nobody else is
really radio savvy, especially with HF), and we have rooms made out of
copper screen that is electrified ( i believe ), and no RF comes in or
out. Of course all the powerlines also need to be filtered.

Unless you place your antenna in the fuel tank the faraday cage theory is a
non factor.

Although I guess if the noise is coming out from the wires, it won't
make any difference.

I'm going to probably return this Cobra and get the Midland 1001Z again.

It's obvious that changing radios has not solved the problem thus far so why
waste your time.
Let's recap:
Power wire to ACC or radio in the fuse box.
Negative to the closest spot you can find to the unit and also ground case
to same.
Quality inline noise filter.
Antenna mount grounded.
Get an antenna with an anti static ball on the tip.
Resistor type plugs and high suppression wires.
Identify all sources of interference. Turn the vehicle to the on position
but don't start it. If any noise occurs start pulling fuses till it stops.
Put an inline filter on that circuit. Start vehicle and do the same thing.
If it still continues, sell the car or get a new hobby.

Old July 28th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello SpakySKO:

You are experiencing noise problems a lot of guys have. Some just live
with it, and some try to cure it.

With a properly installed radio system, and good radio with a Noise
Blanker the noise should be at a livable level.

EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) is being experienced more and more
with new electronic devices.

In order for EMI to exist there must be three things, A noise generator,
a path, and a receiver.

Most of the times it best to reduce or attenuate the noise at the source
or noise generator. Or then break the path, then filter out the noise at
the receiver. In that order. But thats not always possible or particle.

I had a 1989 Nissan truck that everything caused noise in my radios. A
fuel filter in the power wires at the gas tank helped some. Shielding
the ignition wires also helped. But nothing I did was the total answer
that got rid of all the noise. Connecting the fender battery ground to
the fire wall and hood was also a help in reducing the ignition noise.

Everything I did helped reduce the noises a little but again nothing was
the total fix to remove the noises.

The muffler pipe was grounded about 12 inches away from the exhaust
manifold, the radios had a direct connection to the battery, both
positive and negative. Not having the radio ground wire going straight
to the battery is asking for noise troubles.

But the greatest help was a Heil DSP (Digital Signal Processor) Speaker
that reduced the noises significantly. I could here the local big base
stations all most 50 miles away.

You will hear more noises with the poor skip conditions, as compared to
the good skip conditions, when all the big boys are out there on the
channel.

Also remember that the low end radios don't have all the neat-o noise
reduction circuits in them. Comes down to if ya want to play ya got to pay.

Here is a book written on EMI or RFI:
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/6834/

Hope this helps.

Jay in the Mojave

Old July 31st 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Picked up a Uniden PC 244 (Olddddddddd SSB radio). Flipped on the NB,
can't tell much difference between the engine off or on. It does quiet
the overall voice volume down as well, but the Noise drops to S0-S1 and
the squelch works fine with that.

Booyah.