Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1st 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Tree + Dipole

Hello hello.

Finally I post about something other than my mobile rig! Hurray

I got me a SSB boat anchor base, and I've bought 100ft of RG6 coax to
make an antenna. I have a tree in my backyard that's about 80 feet or
so tall (Some type of pine or cedar). I'm thinking of making a coax
dipole, or a wire dipole and throwing this thing as far up the tree as
I can, mounted vertically. I'm on a hill, and facing the direction I
want to go, there's no obstructions from the tree (except behind the
tree, where my house is about 30 feet).

I couldn't really find too much information on tree mounted dipoles. Is
this a bad idea? I was a little concerned about ground, but I figure
that a ground rod would negatively impact the dipole action (We only
get lightning at most once a year in oregon for an hour, so lightning
isn't much of a concern, however I guess in a bad storm I can
disconnect from my radio and throw all the wire outside? heh.

I'm guessing the tree will negatively impact performance? My other
option is to possible put an antenna on top of a hornet infested garage
which also has clear line of sight down the hill, however the garage is
at a lower elevation than the house and the tree, and I'd only be able
to mount a 1/4 wavelength antenna on this.

Tree + Dipole [email protected] Policy 7 August 2nd 06 09:35 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
ABOUT - The "T" & Windom Antenna plus Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna RHF Shortwave 0 November 4th 05 06:13 PM
Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM