Old August 5th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default SkyWave 2879ABTC...

Let me first say that it's a pleasure to have a conversation with you
for a change. That said... you are certainly entitled to you opinion on
the SSB delay. A switchable delay is really quite subjective. If you
really had a problem with the SSB delay... you could opt for no delay
and use the SkyWave's multiplexed "hard" keying feature. This allows
keying the amp when the mic is depressed (in any mode) and holding for
as long as the mic is pushed. It requires a slight mod to the radio...
but no extra wires between radio and amp. Many of the hams running the
SkyWave are using this feature.

www.telstar-electronics.com

DrDeath wrote:
"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are correct... there is one delay for both modes. As the designer,
my feeling is that a switchable AM to SSB delay is not necessary.

As a consumer I feel it is a necessity.

My
experience has been that a reasonable delay can be chosen that is
acceptable to both modes.

I disagree. Maybe the average Joe Blow doesn't mind a slow AM delay or a SSB
that chatters, but I do.

Actually, a slight delay in all modes has a
distinct advantage when the amplifier is mounted in a remote location
such as the trunk of the vehicle. It allows the operator to confirm
that the amplifer was pulled in on the last transmission by numbing the
receive (during the delay) for a very short time after the mic button
is released. Without this effect, the operator has no real way of
confirming the amplifier is operating to some level, since the relay
can't be heard.

You add a LED to the remote switch tie it in with the COR circuit, problem
solved.

Old August 6th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
oups.com...
Let me first say that it's a pleasure to have a conversation with you
for a change.

I would rather discuss technical issues instead of the constant nonsense
that gets posted daily. We possibly could have gotten off on the right foot
if you hadn't been spamming the group when there is a group just for listing
your items. Your tag line is more in keeping with Usenet manners (as is
bottom posting, but I'm not that anal).

That said... you are certainly entitled to you opinion on
the SSB delay. A switchable delay is really quite subjective.

Let me pose this question. Why would most amp builders put a delay in if it
were not necessary? From the old tube boat anchors of the past to the modern
units of today. Last winter I built an EB63 and attempted to do the same
thing and I ended up switching the delay as I could not find suitable middle
ground. Maybe I'm just picky, but I like my equipment to respond in a
certain way.

If you
really had a problem with the SSB delay... you could opt for no delay
and use the SkyWave's multiplexed "hard" keying feature. This allows
keying the amp when the mic is depressed (in any mode) and holding for
as long as the mic is pushed.

From what I see, your unit has a COR circuit, which means that it must sense
the carrier. How is the relay operated in SSB mode with no modulation or
carrier? Are you sending a modulated signal in SSB mode or are you adding a
small amount of carrier to the SSB? Something is operating the COR circuit,
how about pointing out what that is so I don't have to restudy the design.

It requires a slight mod to the radio...

Like???? Give me an example of what I need to modify in my 148.

but no extra wires between radio and amp.

A two pill really doesn't need to be remotely operated, I just gave that as
an idea for those that might want it remotely mounted.

Many of the hams running the
SkyWave are using this feature.

Most hams that buy your unit will never use it on AM.

Old August 6th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.usenet.kooks,rec.radio.amateur.policy,alt.flame,alt.hackers.malicious

Default Dr DeadDick the electrical idiot

DrDeath wrote:
[...]

From what I see, your unit has a COR circuit, which means that it must sense
the carrier. How is the relay operated in SSB mode with no modulation or
carrier? Are you sending a modulated signal in SSB mode or are you adding a
small amount of carrier to the SSB? Something is operating the COR circuit,
how about pointing out what that is so I don't have to restudy the design.

It requires a slight mod to the radio...

Like???? Give me an example of what I need to modify in my 148.

but no extra wires between radio and amp.

A two pill really doesn't need to be remotely operated, I just gave that as
an idea for those that might want it remotely mounted.

Many of the hams running the
SkyWave are using this feature.

Most hams that buy your unit will never use it on AM.

STFU stupid. The man never spammed. The only spammers are you and the
dam tard and mope-a-dope!

you couldn't change a tube much less build an amp you dumb cb'er!

Old August 6th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I'm certainly not saying that you don't need a delay on SSB... and you
sound like the length of the delay (for SSB and no delay on AM) is a
priority for you. That's fine. That's why you would need to use
SkyWave's mutiplexing keying feature. If you send me an email... I
would be glad to send you the details of the mod for the radio. Keep in
mind that this mod doesn't work for other brands of amplifiers. It
allows the amp to key (in any mode) when the mic is pushed... no matter
if modulation is present or not with no extra wires between radio and
amp.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Let me pose this question. Why would most amp builders put a delay in if it
were not necessary? From the old tube boat anchors of the past to the modern
units of today. Last winter I built an EB63 and attempted to do the same
thing and I ended up switching the delay as I could not find suitable middle
ground. Maybe I'm just picky, but I like my equipment to respond in a
certain way.

From what I see, your unit has a COR circuit, which means that it must sense

Old August 6th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm certainly not saying that you don't need a delay on SSB... and you
sound like the length of the delay (for SSB and no delay on AM) is a
priority for you. That's fine. That's why you would need to use
SkyWave's mutiplexing keying feature. If you send me an email... I
would be glad to send you the details of the mod for the radio. Keep in
mind that this mod doesn't work for other brands of amplifiers. It
allows the amp to key (in any mode) when the mic is pushed... no matter
if modulation is present or not with no extra wires between radio and
amp.

Just send it to and I'll take a look at the mod.

Old August 6th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Email sent...

Old August 6th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Telstar Electronics" wrote in message
ups.com...
Email sent...

I looked at it, my opinion is that making changes to my radio in the final
output stage by adding a ferrite coil could compromise my outgoing signal. I
nor most of your customer base own a spectrum analyzer. The parts you list
cost no more that the switch and cap you could add to the amp for the delay.
In fact, if were to own your unit, that's where I'm putting my $3 worth of
parts. I'm not trying to slam your product in this thread, I just wanted to
share my opinion as a consumer. If you think the consumer does not want an
adjustable delay then by all means go with what you have.

Old August 7th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

As far as compromising the output signal, hanging a choke plus a 1K
impedance on the output will change nothing. Many people are using this
feature (along with myself) with no performance shift.

I think your idea of a switchable delay is fine... I just think the
extra cost of instituting it is unjustified... given the extra cost...
and the lack of complaints of the current design. But thanks for your
input...

DrDeath wrote:
I looked at it, my opinion is that making changes to my radio in the final
output stage by adding a ferrite coil could compromise my outgoing signal. I
nor most of your customer base own a spectrum analyzer. The parts you list
cost no more that the switch and cap you could add to the amp for the delay.
In fact, if were to own your unit, that's where I'm putting my $3 worth of
parts. I'm not trying to slam your product in this thread, I just wanted to
share my opinion as a consumer. If you think the consumer does not want an
adjustable delay then by all means go with what you have.

SkyWave 2879AB Amplifier Telstar Electronics CB 43 May 27th 06 09:43 PM
IBOC Article Carter, K8VT Shortwave 338 April 4th 06 02:56 PM
IBOC -- a way to jam skywave signals from Mexico and Canada at night, just like the USSR did with VOA, RFE/RL, ... http://CBC.am/ Broadcasting 4 August 30th 04 08:50 PM
SkyWave Amps jim CB 4 June 25th 04 03:54 AM