Old September 3rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Wilson 1000 Antenna Question

I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna or will I have to purchase an antenna designed just

for base station use?

Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Drifter" wrote in message
I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna or will I have to purchase an antenna designed just

for base station use?

Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.

You could, but it would require a ground plane so large and cumbersome that
it would not be easy to remove the antenna to use it mobile again. You will
also get better performance from a base antenna.

Old September 3rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Drifter wrote:
I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna or will I have to purchase an antenna designed just

for base station use?

Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have room for a real ground plane antenna on your garage?
Old September 3rd 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Drifter wrote:
I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna or will I have to purchase an antenna designed just

for base station use?

Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.

You can use a Wilson 1000 as a base antenna IF you put a car sized
ground plane under it, although four 8.6 foot radials would work
as well. A full size antenna will gather more signal.
Old September 3rd 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Drifter:

Yeah what they said!

I had a local who placed the magnetic mount Wilson 1000 on his Swap
Cooler, that of course had a lot of metal for a ground plane. He had to
add on a coax extension, and ran barefoot. But was able to converse with
all the locals, and make the coffee shop get 2 gethers on time. It surly
isn't a skip shootin antenna.

One nut cake ran a Wilson 1000 on his refregrator, and a Palmar Skipper
300 Linear. This was a TVI and all kinds of Interference looking for a
place to happen. He lived in a apartment house, and was soon evicted.
Probably for not listening to Jay in the Mojave! (Oh Brother!)

Jay in the Mojave

Old September 4th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.discordia,alt.slack,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.music.classical.recordings

Default Slow Code:kook on parade

Slow Code:kook on parade

Old September 4th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
GHB GHB is offline

If you have a freezer or washer in your garage just slap the wilson 1000 on
top of it and it should work pretty good but not as good as a proper base
antena up in the air.

Scorpio

Old September 4th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Drifter" wrote in message
I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna or will I have to purchase an antenna designed just

for base station use?

Any tips and info will be greatly appreciated.

Does your garage have a metal roof? If so, plop it down on top of the
garage, and run a wire from the roof of the garage down to a grounding rod
in the yard, or a METAL cold water pipe in the garage/house (as long as it's
metal all the way out to the yard!) Any point that is grounded would work,
though I'd avoid using the ground in an outlet; you really don't want it
hooked into the household wiring, even despite the fact that a lot places
use the cold water pipes for ground... The antenna will perform, but not
nearly as well as a proper base antenna...

Old September 4th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message
news

"Drifter" wrote in message
[...]

NECA code says that if you can't use a ground rod, you can use the copper
water pipe where it enters the house from the outside. I believe it must be
attached within the first 3 feet, but that could vary from city to city.

--
Suffer, unto me.
Indulge, my every need.

Old September 4th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.discordia,alt.slack,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:
Drifter wrote in
:

I want to connect a mobile CB radio to a power supply in the garage.

My question: Is it possible to use my Wilson 1000 as a type of "base

station" antenna

Yes you can, but only a dumb-ass would want to listen to CB.

Sc

Hey is that a Wilson 1000?

Thats no Wilson 1000! Thats my wife!

Part # 2 - The Simplest Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas That I Know Of . . . RHF Shortwave 0 June 2nd 06 10:57 AM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Handheld GMRS/FRS radio antenna gain question Warren Antenna 2 June 3rd 05 12:17 AM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM